Why become a member? ×

Lazy bass habits

Oscar South

[quote name='E_MaN' post='222074' date='Jun 19 2008, 12:50 PM']Not spending enough time in figuring out bass lines that I want to play that don't have a a tab...I do it but just not enough.[/quote]

I tend not to play open strings apart from E. My hand spans a long way and as I'm self taught, it was just easier to fret everything so I could transpose to other keys easily to suit others in the band.

It works for me! :)

The entire way I play bass!

I damp the E (and the A sometimes) with my fretting hand's thumb.

In other words, I hold the neck in my palm and not with the thumb in the centre of the back of the neck.

I play with a plectrum virtually all the time. (I can use fingers but can't be bothered).

I have been known to strip out and simplify bass lines. The rest of the band thinks it is because I go for a more driving line than the last bass player they had, but is it just I'm sloppier??????

I have no technique!!!

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='222117' date='Jun 19 2008, 01:32 PM']I tend not to play open strings apart from E. My hand spans a long way and as I'm self taught, it was just easier to fret everything so I could transpose to other keys easily to suit others in the band.

It works for me! :huh:[/quote]

I'd say that's a good technique :)

[quote name='Leowasright' post='222175' date='Jun 19 2008, 02:25 PM']The entire way I play bass!

I damp the E (and the A sometimes) with my fretting hand's thumb.

In other words, I hold the neck in my palm and not with the thumb in the centre of the back of the neck.

I play with a plectrum virtually all the time. (I can use fingers but can't be bothered).[/quote]

I too am guilty of both of these. There are some songs though, where I'm not too sure if it's actually possible to play them correctly with a pick, without muting the E string with the thumb (well for me anyway :) ). I also fret with my thumb on the E, though not as much as with any finger. As for playing with a pick, this is required for the sound I like for both of my bands. Right now I don't have a bass at home regularly to practice on (long story involving a fear of bailiffs), so when I do get a chance to pick with my fingers regularly, it takes a week or so to harden them up again, a PITA.

Oh and on occassion I'll pick an open with my fretting hand (fingers or thumb).

Edited by stug

I rush things abit much. When learning a song, I'll try to blast through it, get fed up and come on here.
I don't always play with at consistent level, some times, I'll hit a string fairly lightly, and the next one with me hit really hard. Which kinda creates general annoyance to people listening :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='214861' date='Jun 8 2008, 01:24 PM']I don't know if it's a bad habit or not - You guys can decide...

I really can't see the point in rehearsing! The two bands I play in are highly professional & have always just gone out and played (ie. These two outfits have never rehearsed at all!) In my experience, the tightness comes from playing it out in the field, as it were & pure spontanaity. I joined a 70's band the other year & hated the endless rehearsals, generally acheiving nothing![/quote]

Agree completely. The two bands I play in very rarely rehearse, only a couple of hours sometimes after a couple of months off. Learn it off the album turn up and play. Shouldn't be too difficult and I'm no bass hero, believe me!

Think my worst habit is getting too excited playing live and digging in far too hard with my fingers, feels good though!

I am also trying discipline myself to strictly play alternate fingering after years of doing the opposite. It's feels really weird but I'm making progress and I really notice the extra speed, evenness and efficiency it provides, at least in the exercises I've devised.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='SJA' post='214777' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:39 AM']use my left thumb to fret notes on the E string.

then again, Sting, Chris Squire and Stanley Clarke do it sometimes.[/quote]

If Sting does it that is more than enough reason not too.

Me I'm just a terrible bass player i've been getting away with it for 12 years god bless Punk.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='228011' date='Jun 27 2008, 01:43 PM']If Sting does it that is more than enough reason not too.

Me I'm just a terrible bass player i've been getting away with it for 12 years god bless Punk.[/quote]

What's wrong with Sting, dude?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='228081' date='Jun 27 2008, 03:01 PM']He is everthing i hate in a person he thinks so much of himself and has a complete smugness about him arghhhh.

Probably a good bass player never listened long enough to tell.[/quote]

I get you! But highly creative people with attitude and determination can be real pains in the arse. Cracking bass player in my opinion though, along with a great voice, awesome songwriting skills, market awareness, etc.

[quote name='silddx' post='228102' date='Jun 27 2008, 03:32 PM']I get you! But highly creative people with attitude and determination can be real pains in the arse. Cracking bass player in my opinion though, along with a great voice, awesome songwriting skills, market awareness, etc.[/quote]

As i say I'm sure he is a good player it's not really my cup of tea so I've never really analised it.

I saw him on one of these talk shows a few years back and he had an acoustic guitar with him, he was the first to be interviewed then the next guest came on and while the interveiwer (may have been Parky can't remember) was talking to them he just sat there strumming it was just so disrespectful.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='228110' date='Jun 27 2008, 03:46 PM']As i say I'm sure he is a good player it's not really my cup of tea so I've never really analised it.

I saw him on one of these talk shows a few years back and he had an acoustic guitar with him, he was the first to be interviewed then the next guest came on and while the interveiwer (may have been Parky can't remember) was talking to them he just sat there strumming it was just so disrespectful.[/quote]

Yip, he sure can be a complete pratt. I can't stand bad manners and disrespect.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='228118' date='Jun 27 2008, 03:53 PM']Great Ozzy Osbourne quote "I might be a washed up old junkie rock star, but at least I'm not Sting" made me chuckle.[/quote]

:)

I think we are in danger of a serious thread hijack here mate, I reckon we should call it quits now :huh: