Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Going Back To 12" Drivers

gsgbass

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1373400070' post='2137223']
I tried using 12" drivers, but they couldn't see over the dashboard or reach the pedals so I went back to the normal size.

Well someone had to say it ...
[/quote]

There's a gag inthere somewher, about a 12 inch pianist...but it's getting late, and I've had a cracking rehearsal and a few beers.

G'night...

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1373400070' post='2137223']
I tried using 12" drivers, but they couldn't see over the dashboard or reach the pedals so I went back to the normal size.

Well someone had to say it ...
[/quote]
That reminds me of my brother and me at Flamingo Park. There was a "ride" where you could drive a little jeep around a track. But neither my brother or I were tall enough, but that didn't stop them letting us have a go... I sat on the floor pressing the pedals with my right hand and steering with my left while my brother stood on the passenger seat and shouted directions. It didn't go well, they cleared the track until we'd had our allotted time, which was nice of them, it wasn't a very busy theme park.

Had a crack at the mb112ii at sound check for a wedding last week. Room held maybe a hundred or so, no stage, only mic'd vocals, fairly respectable volume disco/funk covers, car wash, soul with a capital S etc.

I ran it up to 12 o clock, slight eq tweak, slight low mid bump, punched in the contour and then compensated for the mid cut by boosting it back in and cutting the low a touch, it didn't sound distressed in anyway. Using it without the contour switch sounded pretty nasty and would require some fairly hefty knob tweaking.

It Reminds me of my old barefaced midget T in terms of its natural tone, makes sense, a small 12" engineered to be capable of doing a job bigger than you'd think it could. Only it's a combo not a cab.

Stood Next to the combo it was booming and deafening. Out in the room it disappeared rather quickly, lots of abrasive mid and no depth.
It would do the job if required, but wouldn't sound amazing. But would certainly do the job; up to a reasonable volume. The ceiling was very high in this room. A standard small pub gig would probably be within its grasp.
As an onstage monitor to a pa it would be an amazing little box. For filling a room solo, not so much.
Hence i didn't gig it, I switched to my MoMark 800 into a single berg AE210 and at once the sound was deep, balanced, three dimensional and sounded the same anywhere in the room, even right in front of the cab. It was quite an eye opener in terms of exactly how good that cab is.
I'll do a proper review thread once I've managed to use the GK a bit more.

Edited by gafbass02

Maybe. I owned a p5110c but had two fail on me. I'd still take the GK I reckon. That was its first run and I was rushed. Wish the head came out like the old promethean gear though. That was a great idea. That and the built in kickback handle. I might add one of those.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back with 12" cabs, too. No tweeters, either - my tweeter days are over.

It was actually Bjelkeman's post on this thread that made me aware of [url="http://www.tks.se"]TKS Engineering[/url].

They're absolutely lovely. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212014-tks-112-cabs-new-to-the-uk-review"]Here's the full story.[/url]

Yeah, when I bought it, I already had a Markbass head/410, but my bad back dictated a much smaller/lighter set-up. I was expecting to compromise on the sound, but health has to come first. However, when I plugged in and played I was amazed and delighted that there was no compromise. A great set-up, and easily portable. I do many gigs with just the combo on its own.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1375428019' post='2160995']
I'm back with 12" cabs, too. No tweeters, either - my tweeter days are over.

It was actually Bjelkeman's post on this thread that made me aware of [url="http://www.tks.se"]TKS Engineering[/url].

They're absolutely lovely. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212014-tks-112-cabs-new-to-the-uk-review"]Here's the full story.[/url]

[/quote]

Thy setup looks pretty tasty, is it 2 x 1x12's or 2 x 2x12's?
What was the cost?
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1375548026' post='2162805']
Thy setup looks pretty tasty, is it 2 x 1x12's or 2 x 2x12's?
What was the cost?
Cheers
Thebassman
[/quote]

1x12s...They sound tasty, too. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212014-tks-engineering-112-cabs-new-to-the-uk-review/page__view__findpost__p__2152083"]Price info at this post[/url].

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1375548271' post='2162813']

1x12s...They sound tasty, too. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212014-tks-engineering-112-cabs-new-to-the-uk-review/page__view__findpost__p__2152083"]Price info at this post[/url].
[/quote]

£300 shipped price each, that's amazing.
Very tempting, I might have to check them out.
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1375548872' post='2162828']

£300 shipped price each, that's amazing.
Very tempting, I might have to check them out.
Cheers
Thebassman
[/quote]

Yep - incredible, really.

His neo cabs are a bit pricier, but still very reasonable.

Mind you, his ceramic cabs are 10kg, so the Neos must float.