Why become a member? ×

J retro preamp

Geek99

I have just acquired one of these from a mate - anyone have an idea what they are worth ?
Don't seem to come up often on the sale board

I'm now firmly a precision fan so its surplus to my need

Thanks

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1371639767' post='2116426']
I have just acquired one of these from a mate - anyone have an idea what they are worth ?
Don't seem to come up often on the sale board

I'm now firmly a precision fan so its surplus to my need

Thanks
[/quote]

They are about 210 new, but older sh ones go for about 100, new ones in ace condition about 130ish.

I might be tempted to buy it off you as I need one. Send me some pics and details mate.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1371640871' post='2116450']

They are about 210 new, but older sh ones go for about 100, new ones in ace condition about 130ish.

I might be tempted to buy it off you as I need one. Send me some pics and details mate.
[/quote]

Thanks - will do . Think its the deluxe

http://www.bestbassgear.com/wiring-diagrams/JohnEast-JRetrodeluxe01-Wiring-Diagram.pdf
It's a j retro deluxe 01

Any suggestion as to a fair price ? If seems to work

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1371675005' post='2116933']
It's a j retro deluxe 01
[/quote]

AFAIK, this is not a deluxe. The deluxe that I know has three stacked pots plus a single one.
This looks just like a regular J-Retro 01, unless of course John has changed features at some point in time.

best,
bert

The Deluxe doesn't mean it's more luxurious, just that the knob configuration is similar to the Fender Jazz Deluxe basses with the jack in the edge of the body. It's additional knob is a passive tone control. The one shown in the pic above has the jack on the plate.

They are very powerful, I have one similar to that shown with an 18V supply and its range of active tones is outstanding, plus, of course, the passive straight-forward Jazz tone.

(That bass is for sale too!)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1371676436' post='2116956']
AFAIK, this is not a deluxe. The deluxe that I know has three stacked pots plus a single one.
This looks just like a regular J-Retro 01, unless of course John has changed features at some point in time.

best,
bert
[/quote]

Correct :)

Great piece of kit - I have the deluxe version fitted on one of my jazzes!

In active mode the stacked knobs are (from furthest away from the jack and inner knob first): vol/pan, treble/bass, mid/mid sweep. The switches are active/passive and er... never use that switch but apparently it's for getting a 'passive mix of pickups', which if I remember correctly means you can have a volume control for each p/up rather than the stacked vol/pan control...

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1371672730' post='2116904']
This is it :

Any idea what it is or what the knobs / switches do ?
[/quote]

try emailing John directly through the website and send the pic ask if they can tell you what model it is so you can download the pdf of the technical blurb :)

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1371738625' post='2117580']
They're adjustable afaik Barrie, so if you take it out you can probably adjust the parameters the parameters on the pots :)
[/quote]

I'll have to check under the bonnet and see what I can do :)

I'd love an original Alleva Coppolo one really but Jimmy doesn't sell them any more :(

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1371891599' post='2119150']
If its as good as some of you seem to think I had best hold on to it for a bit - couldn't afford a new one, that's for sure
[/quote]

I think they are generally thought of being among the best you can buy, if not the best, and made in the UK by hand.

I suppose it's down to whether you like it and can use it.