Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz repaired under warranty

lowdowner

My Genz Benz went awry about 2 weeks ago... the lights all started flashing (all the leds!) and no sound came out.

I contacted Bass Direct where I bought it from and Mark arranged with Fender to pick up the amp by courier. It was fixed in a couple of days (the power supply had turned out to be faulty) and a courier dropped it off to me a day later.

Great service. The amp was about a year old so it was in warranty, but all the same, very pleased :)

Just so you know. Bass Direct and Fender rock :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371414904' post='2113704']
I have heard this before but thankfully not needed to test the theory for myself, good to know though :)
[/quote]

+1

- mine must be coming up to a year now, been very pleased with it, absolutely reliable so far - but then I'd expect it to be at that price. Customer service counts for a lot though. Glad it's not imported by R********r.

If it's getting close to end of warranty period then make sure you keep all the paperwork.

I've heard more than one tale about a GB being repaired and then failing again. If it's the same thing then you should still be covered even if the warranty has expired because you can argue that the previous repair was not effective.

Not sure how long this will be allowable but I know someone who ended up having two repairs fail and eventually he was sent a brand new replacement :)

"[color=#2B2B2B][font=Helvetica-Bold, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=2]GENZ BENZ [/size][/font][/color][color=#2B2B2B]warrants all products to be free from defects in materials and workmanship, for a period of 2 years (tubes come with a 90 day warranty) from the date of purchase, when purchased from an authorised [/color][color=#2B2B2B][font=Helvetica-Bold, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=2]GENZ BENZ[/size][/font][/color][color=#2B2B2B] dealer. This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear incurred from the normal designed use of the product and specifically limits the warranty for tubes to 6 months. This warranty is only effective if a copy of the original sales receipt is presented at the time of warranty service."[/color]

[color=#2B2B2B]You need to have registered within 10 days of purchase. [/color]

[color=#2B2B2B]From, I think, some experience at Talkbass, the guarantee held even though they changed the valves for a different spec. I have a less 'hot' valve in V1.[/color]

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1371589721' post='2116013']
"GENZ BENZ warrants all products to be free from defects in materials and workmanship, for a period of 2 years (tubes come with a 90 day warranty) from the date of purchase...

You need to have registered within 10 days of purchase.
[/quote]

Regardless of warranty, in the UK you're covered for 5 years against the above under your statutory rights. :)

[size=3]The one good thing about being in the EU is this piece of legislation, which the goverment and the shops like to keep quiet...[/size]
[size=3]An ex boss refused to sign manufacturers 1 year warranty cards on equipment in case it invalidated the now "standard" two year one.... which is where I heard about it.[/size]

[size=3]EU Directive (1999/44/EC) states that [i]"a two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. "[/i][/size]

[size=3][i][url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/victoriaderbyshire/2009/05/that_piece_of_eu_legislation_y.html"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/victoriaderbyshire/2009/05/that_piece_of_eu_legislation_y.html[/url][/i][/size]

[size=3][i][url="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1676999/Hidden-EU-rule-helps-shoppers-get-refunds.html"]http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1676999/Hidden-EU-rule-helps-shoppers-get-refunds.html[/url][/i][/size]

[size=3]a cynic might say this is the real reason why a lot of "reputable"manufacturers have been offering two warranties now.[/size]

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1371661779' post='2116783']
The warranty is two. The SoGA is 5. It means that the item must be fit for the purpose it was made to do & be free from any defects.
[/quote]

What about the EU directive, overridden by the SoGA?

I suppose the SoGA will be difficult to invoke should it be needed after the guarantee period

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1371663173' post='2116802']
What about the EU directive, overridden by the SoGA?

I suppose the SoGA will be difficult to invoke should it be needed after the guarantee period
[/quote]

I think whichever you need, you can use. I've used the SoGA a couple of times & had results. Though Game tried to tell me that the SoGA didn't apply to them (by letter too), so I forwarded the letter to Trading Standards & got a replacement Xbox.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1371664216' post='2116810']
I think whichever you need, you can use. I've used the SoGA a couple of times & had results. Though Game tried to tell me that the SoGA didn't apply to them (by letter too), so I forwarded the letter to Trading Standards & got a replacement Xbox.
[/quote]

Wow, power to the people!

I've tried using SoGa on extended warranty. Took an age to get any kind of response and then it was near impossible to meet their standards of what was considered 'normal use'. Felt like just turning something on and using it for any length of time was in breach of their terms :(

Trouble is I'd say a pro bass player doing 5 gigs a week wearing an amp out in five years or less could be seen as a reasonable period of time, I'm sure they should and will last longer but modern cheap electronics are not built to last like an old ampeg, a new ampeg isn't even built like an old one!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371719274' post='2117232']
Trouble is I'd say a pro bass player doing 5 gigs a week wearing an amp out in five years or less could be seen as a reasonable period of time, I'm sure they should and will last longer but modern cheap electronics are not built to last like an old ampeg, a new ampeg isn't even built like an old one!
[/quote]

Or Hiwatt. I suppose that's the point, to try to improve on things not being made to last. Perhaps there's a view on relative price, for example a £100 cheapy would not be considered to be expected to undergo the sort of use described here for 5 years whereas an expensive one, such as a Genz Benz, would.

That's the problem with pro gear in all passtimes or hobbies, the best sounding/feeling/fastest or whatever feature it is that we desire is not always the most robust, try breaking a Raleigh Grifter yet a £3k alloy bike can be ruined by accidentally threading the left hand threaded bearing case into the frame the wrong way!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371756494' post='2117867']
That's the problem with pro gear in all passtimes or hobbies, the best sounding/feeling/fastest or whatever feature it is that we desire is not always the most robust, try breaking a Raleigh Grifter yet a £3k alloy bike can be ruined by accidentally threading the left hand threaded bearing case into the frame the wrong way!
[/quote]

Try riding a Raleigh Grifter over the Col de Tourmalet after 180k!

Fit for Purpose.
If you buy a practice combo & go gigging with it & it breaks, it wasn't made for that purpose so don't expect to get a replacement.
If you buy a rig designed for a life on the road gigging, that is what it's intended purpose was & must be fit to do so.
:)