Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi!

TheMissWolfiee

So I guess I best make an introduction after creeping around in the forums (mainly the marketplace) and wishing I had enough funds to but 50% of the stuff for sale in there!

Anyways, Hi! I'm Bev, a 19-year old female bass player, I'm currently doing a HND course in Music Performance in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. I picked up bass just under 4 years ago now but I've still got plenty to learn. I was introduced to music when I started learning Bb Cornet at 7 years old, at 14 I picked up the basics on guitar and went on to start learning drums. Bass wasn't actually something I intended to play, I only started learning after being unable to find a bassist in my high school band - with my best friend being a better drummer than me it seemed like a logical idea - Since then I guess I haven't turned back.

I'm most definitely still a newbie when it comes to a fair few playing styles and amp tech, I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I also rely on using plectrums way too much (though that is due to a mixture of guitar experience and high school band as expected meant a punk/rock band).

I like a big variety of music from Pop, R&B, Rock, Country, Metal, Folk and 'Djent' and always try to be open-minded to new genres or artists. At the moment my latest obsession/inspiration would be 'Scale The Summit' a Djent band with an (IMO) brilliant bassist (Mark Michell).

Anyway I think I'll stop there before I start writing a book, I look forward to talking, and learning from all of you :)

Hey Bev,

Welcome! You've made some right decisions along the road, joining BC being one of them.

As the others hinted at, plectra are [b]wrong[/b], and so are plectrums and plectrii. ;)
IOW: no worries at all, hear?

Anyway, enjoy the occasional exchange of into, the marketplace with its way too low prices, and the slightly more often than occasional exchange of banterisms.

best,
bert

Thanks everyone, it's nice to meet you all :) I do use fingers for some songs, it depends on the style/groove of it. At home I love to play bits of chords making little melodies to be added into them so for that I play with fingers.
[quote name='borisbrain' timestamp='1371400283' post='2113374']
anything but head-butt... [/quote]
- :sorry: damn - that was a technique I was going to try next!

:hi: Hello Bev and :crigon_04: to BC.. 19-yo and quite a collection of gear already! The Hohner jack is a good bass.. I used to own a B2-V but couldn't get along with the five strings.. and the stiletto extreme is a cool name for a good looking Bass..

Anyway, how are you getting on the 2x12 cab? Cheers!

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1371489669' post='2114510']
:hi: Hello Bev and :crigon_04: to BC.. 19-yo and quite a collection of gear already! The Hohner jack is a good bass.. I used to own a B2-V but couldn't get along with the five strings.. and the stiletto extreme is a cool name for a good looking Bass..

Anyway, how are you getting on the 2x12 cab? Cheers!
[/quote]

Hello yourself, I think out of all the basses I've tried the Jack is my favorite so far - unfortunately its given me a bit of an obsession with Headless Bass's now! I was pretty lucky my first two Bass's were bought for me (Squire P-Bass and the Schecter Stiletto) and all my other gear have been through saving wages & student loan. To be honest I'm still trying to get used to the 2x12 and with little experience in cabs I'm still figuring out if the sound is right for me - though its portability and small size is a big plus in my books! :)

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1371514264' post='2115019']
Are you at uni? Forgive my ignorance but I don't know what a HND is :)
[/quote]

Hi Myke, nice to meet you and everyone else as well of course! HND (Higher National Diploma) is a course which takes the first two years of Uni and teaches it to usually a smaller group of students and at a much lower cost - mine is £5600 a year instead of £9000, which is quite a difference, after that of course I would have to 'top-up' at a university to get my diploma :)

[quote name='TheMissWolfiee' timestamp='1371542884' post='2115136']
Hi Myke, nice to meet you and everyone else as well of course! HND (Higher National Diploma) is a course which takes the first two years of Uni and teaches it to usually a smaller group of students and at a much lower cost - mine is £5600 a year instead of £9000, which is quite a difference, after that of course I would have to 'top-up' at a university to get my diploma :)
[/quote]

That sounds exactly the same as my course! I should have known that! :P

Thank you!

[quote name='TheMissWolfiee' timestamp='1371500018' post='2114781']
Hello yourself, I think out of all the basses I've tried the Jack is my favorite so far - unfortunately its given me a bit of an obsession with Headless Bass's now! I was pretty lucky my first two Bass's were bought for me (Squire P-Bass and the Schecter Stiletto) and all my other gear have been through saving wages & student loan. To be honest I'm still trying to get used to the 2x12 and with little experience in cabs I'm still figuring out if the sound is right for me - though its portability and small size is a big plus in my books! :)
[/quote]

... try and keep the 2x12 for as long as you can........... This will be tough, as the pressure will be to 'upgrade', 'bigger is best' blah blah..

I would LOVE a smaller, lighter 2x12 - if only to record with. I have a 4x10 now (and have used 1x15 combos in the past).. and I really miss having the choice of using a smaller setup. If all goes well and you get to play on stages - big or small - the smaller cabinets are great to use as a monitor - pointing straight at you or the drummer (if only to pi$$ them off).. with a DI into FOH. Sometimes having a 4x10 behind you can be a blessing and a curse. :rolleyes:

Anyway - as you know, there a plenty of other threads around to discuss the finer points etc - hope to hear from you 'over there'.. Good luck!

Simon-edward.tumblr.com

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1371567313' post='2115615']
... try and keep the 2x12 for as long as you can........... This will be tough, as the pressure will be to 'upgrade', 'bigger is best' blah blah..
[/quote]

I used to have a Trace Elliot GP7SM300 2x10" combo that I loved but sold due to lack of use only to end up buying my current set up a month later - I think I just used that as an excuse, I can't see me upgrading to a bigger cab any time soon, simply no space to store it! Although I can see me selling/trading in my Orange SP212 at some point, I've had to restrain myself from getting a Markbass New York 112 on 0% finance. I've done a fair few gigs though mainly in pubs (a few times in the Leeds Cockpit - upstairs room though :P) and most others have been Uni-related gigs using a Ashdown Mag 410 with Hartke 2500 head (2500 or 3500 not quite sure)... anyway thanks for the advice and nice to meet you!