Why become a member? ×

Neil Young in Birmingham

LemonCello

So the band went off to see the legend that is Neil Young at the NEC last nite (now called the LG Arena). We got seated tickets and were a fair way back from the stage and the big screens were not that big! So kinda like watching it on Sky Arts 1 with 40,000 other peeps in your living room. All future gig trips will now be standing! Anyway, bottom line is he's still got it in spades and the whole set lasted 2.5 hours - not bad for a 67 year old. He played a lot off the new album especially at the start and there were some meandering guitar duels going on which led to a degree of heckling from the audience. He came right back with a swift retort along the lines "I'm gonna play what I like" which in turn led to some people leaving early. Overall guitar sound and stage presence - amazing and highlight for me was Cinnamon Girl, one of my all time favorites.

If anyone else was at the gig I'd be interested in your take on it?

Cheers,

LC

I didn't even look at the ticket prices this time. He played in Nottingham a few years back and it was £50 a throw even then and I put my foot down. Saw him in Sheffield some years back and although I enjoyed it I kind of ticked him off my list of artists that I'd previously not seen but probably wouldn't be making a habit of catching every tour, same with Clapton. Mind you EC was charging £50 a ticket as far back as 2004 which seemed a lot of money at the time. Glad he's still doing it his way, a genuine maverick in an increasingly homogenised world of music. Not surprised it was a long show, there are some very long tunes on the psychedelic pill album!

I saw him in Newcastle on Monday. I was in the seats just up on the side of the stage.

He took the roof off and sang like an angel. He's 67. Astonishing.

Incidentally, my pal was down by the river Tyne on Sunday afternoon at about 5pm. A tramp walked towards them, and they didn't give him a second thought until his wife noticed he was carrying a designer water bottle.

It was himself. Out for a walk, all on his own.

They walked and talked a while.

My pal's mind is still blown.

My mate's a big fan and he was at the Birmingham gig last night, here's what he posted on his facebook page today:

Hmmm...saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse yesterday at the LG Arena (formerly known as Birmingham NEC). First four songs made me think it was going to be the greatest gig I'd ever seen, but then he followed this with 15-20 minutes of feedback, which was very dull, and a couple of mediocre acoustic new songs, as well as a relatively pointless cover of Blowin' in the Wind. Thankfully towards the end it improved and he finished with one of his greatest songs, Powderfinger, but all in all, it was very hit and miss. Oh and the NEC are still money grabbing tossers and the venue's still a shithole

Edited by 4-string-thing

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1371059562' post='2109343']
My mate's a big fan and he was at the Birmingham gig last night, here's what he posted on his facebook page today:

Hmmm...saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse yesterday at the LG Arena (formerly known as Birmingham NEC). First four songs made me think it was going to be the greatest gig I'd ever seen, but then he followed this with 15-20 minutes of feedback, which was very dull, and a couple of mediocre acoustic new songs, as well as a relatively pointless cover of Blowin' in the Wind. Thankfully towards the end it improved and he finished with one of his greatest songs, Powderfinger, but all in all, it was very hit and miss. Oh and the NEC are still money grabbing tossers and the venue's still a shithole
[/quote]

That's what we got, and I loved it.

Just goes to show...

I agree about the 15-20 mins of feedback, very odd that and not very entertaining. We paid £35 a ticket which was good I thought and better seats than we got in Cardiff for Crowded House last year. Got those on TicketMaster "best available" which turned out to be at the top of the house parallel to the stage - had to be "worst available".

As for the venue, the drinks were predictably expensive but I thought the 'merch' was reasonable - £25 for a T shirt, £10 for a programme etc.

The story above about Neil out walking and talking with WoT's mate is fantastic - a moment in time to treasure for sure!

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1371065676' post='2109460']
I agree about the 15-20 mins of feedback, very odd that and not very entertaining. We paid £35 a ticket which was good I thought and better seats than we got in Cardiff for Crowded House last year. Got those on TicketMaster "best available" which turned out to be at the top of the house parallel to the stage - had to be "worst available".

As for the venue, the drinks were predictably expensive but I thought the 'merch' was reasonable - £25 for a T shirt, £10 for a programme etc.

The story above about Neil out walking and talking with WoT's mate is fantastic - a moment in time to treasure for sure!
[/quote]
Not sure, but I think you have to pay a tenner to park at the NEC as well.....

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1371059145' post='2109330']
I saw him in Newcastle on Monday. I was in the seats just up on the side of the stage.

He took the roof off and sang like an angel. He's 67. Astonishing.

[/quote]

I was at Newcastle as well, standing thankfully - I have to be able to move to music that powerful. Brilliant gig. He has lost nothing over the years, his voice and guitar work were sublime.

I liked the feedback drenched storm / hurricane / tornado representation; the recorded voice at the end "keep away from the towers" etc. was from the Woodstock '69 stage announcements made during a lightning storm. Neil was there with Crosby Still and Nash. He also used the Woodstock stage announcements a lot during his Rust Never Sleeps tour in the late 70s, when - if I remember correctly (!!) - he performed something very similar.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World for a long time yet Shakey old lad!

Edited to add - looking forward to my next trip across the A69 to see Pino and The Who next week.

Edited by dry_stone

The Glasgow gig was an odd experience for me.

I was standing and it was not pleasant. There was an underlying tension in the crowd... loads of drunken/high a**holes, a couple of fights and general unpleasantness, pushing/shoving etc. I was given a beer shampoo by some pea brain throwing it around...the floor was about an inch deep as far as I could see in wine & lager - nice. I used to enjoy that kind of thing 30yrs ago..but it just gets on my t*ts now.

I am glad that I can say that I have seen Neil Young, but I found the whole feedback/dragging songs out for 20 minute thing a bit tedious. He could have played about another 6-8 classics in the time he wasted. And why did he feel the need, with his back catalogue, to play a Bob Dylan cover????

Bizarre....and kind of interesting at the same time in a strange way. Odd.

Edited by White Cloud

I saw Neil in London last night.

It was spiritual.

The chemistry and grooves were hypnotic, these guys are in their late 60's and yet played like it was 1978.

All through the gig folks were walking out, shame they didn't understand what to expect from Crazy Horse. But to real appreciators of honest music [b]it doesn't matter what Neil plays, it just matters that he plays.[/b]

So for those who left / complained - you know where to buy a Greatest Hits CD.

Much love to Neil and Crazy Horse, absolute magic.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1371541425' post='2115114']
I saw Neil in London last night.

It was spiritual.

The chemistry and grooves were hypnotic, these guys are in their late 60's and yet played like it was 1978.

All through the gig folks were walking out, shame they didn't understand what to expect from Crazy Horse. But to real appreciators of honest music [b]it doesn't matter what Neil plays, it just matters that he plays.[/b]

So for those who left / complained - you know where to buy a Greatest Hits CD.

Much love to Neil and Crazy Horse, absolute magic.
[/quote]

Yep, it really amazes me when audience members expect a concert to be a greatest hits event.
Perhaps those audience members haven't moved on/progressed, but the artists generally have.

As you imply, if you want to hear the hits as you remember them, buy the CD.

I saw them in Newcastle too standing - A great gig and one I'll never forget. My first Neil gig and it delivered! It was great to hear some stuff from the new album live alongside oldies, but I thought the Bob cover was an odd and (the only) low point. Loved the feedback section. Good value for money due to the long and varied set and Neil's voice and especially his guitar sounded phenomenal - great chemistry with Crazy Horse too. I think I've discovered a new favourite in 'Surfer Joe & Moe The Sleaze' which I had never heard before - I've since got into re-ac-tor and have been delving deeping still into their back catalogue. My parents attended too (seated) and didn't enjoy it too much - I think they, and a lot of people expected Heart of Gold, etc. Should have done their homework!

Great story indeed about WoT's mate! Off topic - I remember seeing Jack White wandering around Newcastle city centre a few years back (on the day of a Raconteurs gig) but didn't have to guts to approach him! Regrets...

I have seen Neil Young on many occasions in the USA, Germany, Italy, Canada and the UK, I was lucky enough to see him being backed up by Pearl jam too.

I have a mixed view on his shows; some have been absolutely brilliant; some shows have been rubbish where he is clearly doing it to pay the bills. The best song I have seen him do live; 'Borrowed Tune' solo piano....I think it is rare that he does this now.

After reading his *new* book 'Waging Heavy Peace' and reading the inferred 'money troubles' on his Hawaii home towards the end of the book, I kinda figured he would go back out on the road with 'The Horse'.

Crazy Horse are a terrible backing band, they slow down and speed up dramatically during songs, but for some reason, it works with Neil Young at the helm.

Maybe I am being cynical, but I think that Neil Young has become a bit of a 'sell out' now.......But I would always counsel positively for going to a NY show!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1371743179' post='2117655']
Wow... I couldn't disagree more.
[/quote]

Can you expand on why?

This is why I think he is a bit of a sell out, quoting myself:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]'After reading his *new* book 'Waging Heavy Peace' and reading the inferred 'money troubles' on his Hawaii home towards the end of the book, I kinda figured he would go back out on the road with 'The Horse'.' [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And he did go back out on the road with the horse, because he knew it would bring in a bit of cash....Call me old fashioned, but is that not leaning towards selling out - i.e. upkeep of second home in Hawaii?![/font][/color]

Aha - but he drags out the old favourites every time I have seen him play. He has done his share of sh*t records as any artist. I saw him on the 'are you passionate' tour; it was an awful show!

Had I not read the passage in his own book about financial troubles and having to sell off land and bits of his Hawaii estate..,.i could be more sympathetic.

But after reading his book, i thought; Here comes another crazy horse record and a tour to shore up the bank account....and...here we have another record and another tour to keep it rolling in.

I must have seen Neil Young maybe 15 times over the last 22 years and I love the records. This recent episode has just let me down a bit, I thought he was better than that....had he made a new movie or something or gone into German Hardhouse music I would be more than supportive.

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1371762388' post='2117946']
Aha - but he drags out the old favourites every time I have seen him play. [/quote]

What, like Surfer Joe? Three songs off the new album? Two unheard songs? And hours of feedback experiments? No Cowgirl, no Down By the River....

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1371762388' post='2117946']
Here comes another crazy horse record and a tour to shore up the bank account....and...here we have another record and another tour to keep it rolling in.
[/quote]

Yep... there goes Ol' Neil on [i]another [/i]Crazy Horse record and tour. It's only been ten years since the last tour and longer since the last record.He's certainly flogging that cash cow to death. :rolleyes:

Sorry - there's no doubt you're a big fan, but I'm not quite sure what expect from him. He's 67, and he's still on the cutting edge.

First tour with the horse in 10 years....

I think he did some shows over the states through 2008/9 - with the Harvest band. I saw him in 2005 I think...I am getting old though, so the memory is not great.

Can you see what I am saying though? Had he not mentioned anything in the book, I would have no issue....but, it was so obvious what he was gonna do. And that does not feel very Neil young.