Why become a member? ×

Neil Young in Birmingham

LemonCello

A few years ago, I would be agreeing with you. As for now, I find him disappointing.

Read the book; you will find that Neil Young is very focused on self marketing and marketing anything he is involved in. It seems very contrary to the rock and roll image he would like to portray.

Fair enough in its own right, but don't be naive and think that NY is the epitome of musical freedom. He is still in it for the money and he is doing this album and tour to shore up the bank.

Happy for people who wanna see it and be awed, most of the shows that I have seen have been very good.

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1371742736' post='2117640']
I have seen Neil Young on many occasions in the USA, Germany, Italy, Canada and the UK, I was lucky enough to see him being backed up by Pearl jam too.

I have a mixed view on his shows; some have been absolutely brilliant; some shows have been rubbish where he is clearly doing it to pay the bills. The best song I have seen him do live; 'Borrowed Tune' solo piano....I think it is rare that he does this now.

After reading his *new* book 'Waging Heavy Peace' and reading the inferred 'money troubles' on his Hawaii home towards the end of the book, I kinda figured he would go back out on the road with 'The Horse'.

Crazy Horse are a terrible backing band, they slow down and speed up dramatically during songs, but for some reason, it works with Neil Young at the helm.

Maybe I am being cynical, but I think that Neil Young has become a bit of a 'sell out' now.......But I would always counsel positively for going to a NY show!
[/quote]
As an interested but impartial observer (I was given a free ticket) at the recent Glasgow show I agree with the time keeping issue. I have seen some of the greatest drummers ever to hold sticks & I thought the Crazy Horse drummer was lack lustre and had awful timing...but they all just kind of rolled with it and adapted seamlessly, so it worked. From a technical point of view wholly unimpressed by Crazy Horse....from an emotional point of view they ticked most boxes.

Weird show and certainly interesting. Didn't know any of his back catalogue so certainly had no complaints about him "not playing his greatest hits".

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1371762988' post='2117962']

Yep... there goes Ol' Neil on [i]another [/i]Crazy Horse record and tour. It's only been ten years since the last tour and longer since the last record.He's certainly flogging that cash cow to death. :rolleyes:

Sorry - there's no doubt you're a big fan, but I'm not quite sure what expect from him. He's 67, and he's still on the cutting edge.
[/quote]

I love your post!

Edited by Chiliwailer