Why become a member? ×

How good is your back up bass

bonzodog

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1371111344' post='2109823']

And while it might be possible to fit a new string in 90 seconds in the comfort of your home, on a dark stage with your band mates giving you the hurry up, it's going to be a completely different story. And that's provided your spare strings are easily accessible on stage and not still in your equipment case in the dressing room. Of course once you've got it fitted, if its a new string it'll take the next two songs to stop it going out of tune, and if it's a used one it will most likely break during before the end of the set!
[/quote]

I dont get that. You let your mates give you the hurry up on stage. Great mates. I've seen many a string break at gigs, large and small and I never seen a band member or audience member get pissed about it. In fact its usually the cause of a bit of light hearted banter which is just as good as throwing a barage of tunes down their necks for an hour and a half.

Re change times, its absolutely possible to do it on a dark stage. Two snips on the broken string, run the new pre-cut string to the post, tune ,stretch, tune, stretch, job done.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1371146078' post='2110541']
I dont get that. You let your mates give you the hurry up on stage. Great mates. I've seen many a string break at gigs, large and small and I never seen a band member or audience member get pissed about it. In fact its usually the cause of a bit of light hearted banter which is just as good as throwing a barage of tunes down their necks for an hour and a half.

Re change times, its absolutely possible to do it on a dark stage. Two snips on the broken string, run the new pre-cut string to the post, tune ,stretch, tune, stretch, job done.
[/quote]

It might work for you band. It wouldn't work for mine. 90 seconds is the better part of one of our songs. We hit the audience fast and hard with our set, sometimes there's not even any pause between one song and the next, and when there is it's simply enough time for the audience to start reacting and then we're counting in the next song. In that kind of situation there is no time to change strings no matter how well practiced you are - there's only barely enough time to get rid of the bass with the broken string and get the spare strapped on.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1371068546' post='2109528']

I have actually gone from taking a spare bass (another Stingray naturally) to taking a spare head unless it was a wedding gig then I still take a spare bass, Shuttle 3.0 as spare to Shuttle 6.0, Shuttle 6.0 as spare to Shuttlemax9.2 :)
[/quote]

Genz whore!

(Me too. Shuttle 9.2 and a Streamliner 900)

Since 2004, I've mainly played a modified MIM Precision. I've always taken out a backup, or that bass has been the backup. Now it's still the main bass, equipped with a Jazz neck. The Squier PJ I recently bought and rebuilt is now the backup.
In time, I will buy another black blocks Jazz neck for that one also.