Why become a member? ×

30" Scale

acidbass

Hello all,

I've just joined a Beatles tribute band which means that I'll finally be able to put my lovely Beatbass to good use!

Can anyone recommend a good set of short scale strings for it? The ones on it at the moment have been there since I bought it, and before I start gigging I feel they need a change.

I've never bought strings for anything other than 34" scale length basses, and this one is 30", so I'm a little nervous about buying some that'll fit properly.

Flatwounds would also be a bonus (if they're not a complete impossibility that is!)

Thanks in advance for any advice guys!

Danny

[quote name='acidbass' post='212713' date='Jun 4 2008, 07:44 PM']Hello all,

I've just joined a Beatles tribute band which means that I'll finally be able to put my lovely Beatbass to good use!

Can anyone recommend a good set of short scale strings for it? The ones on it at the moment have been there since I bought it, and before I start gigging I feel they need a change.

I've never bought strings for anything other than 34" scale length basses, and this one is 30", so I'm a little nervous about buying some that'll fit properly.

Flatwounds would also be a bonus (if they're not a complete impossibility that is!)

Thanks in advance for any advice guys!

Danny[/quote]

Labella do a set of flats for hofner style basses they are the Deep talking flats 760FHB for Hofner Beatle Bass set, you can get them from stringbusters.com. Please bare in mind when you buy strings for hofner style basses , you will need medium scale (32") strings , I cant remember why but I think its to do with the bridge design

Hey bud,
you can get the Rotosound Tru Bass strings in short scale.

From the Rotosound site >>
[color="#483D8B"]"Most famously heard on the Beatles album ‘Abbey Road’. Super smooth with ultra low tension transforms any electric bass into a jazzy upright sound. Works great on fretless. Also works well with any kind of jazz, fusion, dub and reggae styles. Heard on ‘Transformer’ by Lou Reed, courtesy of Herbie Flowers."[/color]

Product code is RS88S and the gauges are 65 | 75 | 90 | 115

Might be just what you're looking for...

Eude

• 1 year later...

Dont bother with anything other than Hofner H1133B !! 45-105 .I have a 62 reissue 500/1 ,i've tried Rotosund Jazz flatwounds (too light) & Pyramid Gold (good second choice) but nothing else fit's ,sound's & feel's like the real thing!.They are expensive (£47.00 )and not many dealers keep them,i buy mine from Thomann who are very good.Believe me as a lifelong Beatle man it will save you in the long run.

[quote name='500/1bassman' post='740260' date='Feb 9 2010, 06:50 PM']Dont bother with anything other than Hofner H1133B !! 45-105 .I have a 62 reissue 500/1 ,i've tried Rotosund Jazz flatwounds (too light) & Pyramid Gold (good second choice) but nothing else fit's ,sound's & feel's like the real thing!.They are expensive (£47.00 )and not many dealers keep them,i buy mine from Thomann who are very good.Believe me as a lifelong Beatle man it will save you in the long run.[/quote]
+1 - Hofner Beatle Bass or Pyramid Gold Beatle Bass.