Why become a member? ×

new bass guitar advice.

kulabula

My SR1205 is my main gigging bass. Played through my TC Electronic rig at volume I achieve my favourite live tone ever...and I have used everything from Wal to Alembic and everything in between.

The design just feels, to me, so right. I paid £800 for it a year ago and in hindsight I regard that as a total bargain.

The Yamaha is also a good choice as the quality is very high...but I prefer the Ibanez.

We've had all sorts of basses through our shop and for under £1000, the ibanez SR1200 was easily the best. Nordstrands are crazy good and the finish and playability are outstanding.

I've just ordered the new SR1605 based on my love of the SR1200. As you can tell from my sig, normally I'm a fender with flats man through and through but I needed a 5er that can produce any tone and be comfortable for professional gigging (pits, reading etc) and I can't find anything that is better than the ibanez for the price I paid. Can't wait for it to arrive!!

[quote name='Mr Lizard' timestamp='1370597475' post='2103149']
I play the ibanez, but I'm not a shredder!

I mainly play Funk / RnB / Jazz / Hip Hop sort of things and it sounds lovely!

I reckon it would be good for any style though
[/quote]

The EQ gives you the option for anything. Funk, fat P-Bass, growly jazz bass etc etc etc. truly awesome basses.

I bought an SR1205 6 months ago and I think it's a fantastic bass for the money (apart from the gold hardware - black would have looked better imho). Nice fat tone, cuts through well in the mix, light, well balanced, very playable neck. I'm not a shredder either, more a funky kind of player and it really cuts the mustard for the kind of stuff I play.

Although I own an Ibanez I must say that the love doesn't translate across the entire range here. I figured that a five string fretted Ibby would be a sensible choice to go with my Gary Willis. I tried one in a shop and liked it very much, so I bought one a while after. Seemed OK at home, but not quite as good as in the shop; then in a band situation it was alright, but not really what I was hoping for at all. It got moved on after that and I bought a fiver from a completely different company with totally different dimensions and sound to my GW. I'm not denigrating the SR1200 at all, but just pointing out that, although your current Ibby may be super comfortable, etc, and the 1200 may be very similar comfort wise, a completely different animal may be just what you need. A hard, but enviable choice you have to make here :)

Having A/B ed them over and over again to the best of my ability. And although the ibanez is a powerful super sleek tonal monster. The BB just has something that I like, and I can't put my finger on it. If in the future I want an active chameleon God of a bass, I will look no further than the ibanez. It is truly fantastic. But this time it was close but no cigar .................

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370700448' post='2104585']
Do you mean a R... I can't bring myself to say it !
[/quote]

:-D
Yup!

Congrats, Andy!
I'm lusting after both, but feel sure you'll just love your BB. They have so much character. Is it the 1024 you indeed went for?

b,
b

[quote name='kulabula' timestamp='1370700928' post='2104598']
Having A/B ed them over and over again to the best of my ability. And although the ibanez is a powerful super sleek tonal monster. The BB just has something that I like, and I can't put my finger on it. If in the future I want an active chameleon God of a bass, I will look no further than the ibanez. It is truly fantastic. But this time it was close but no cigar .................
[/quote]

If that bass is anything like the 2024 - and from what I heard , it is very similar - then it is a special bass . They sound perfect for most any kind of music you can think of , but particulaly for rock music they are monsterous . Don't forget , you can always buy an outboard preamp to play the Yamaha through if you want to experiment with the active option . Maybe you could keep an eye out for a used Yamaha NE1 ( the Nathan East signature preamp from the early 2000's ) - they were inexpensive , sounded great and would be a perfect match for your bass , I expect .

Edited by Dingus