Why become a member? ×

new bass guitar advice.

kulabula

I'm having a dilemma, I really cannot decide between an ibanez sr 1200 or a yamaha BB 1024x. They both have there own bonus points. The yamaha has that huge passive tone, but the ibanez has the comfort and the adaptability of tone. I have played both in the shop and was leaning towards the yamaha because of it's huge bottom end and simplicity, but now I am having second thoughts that I might miss a trick with the ibanez.

Your thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Andy

[quote name='kulabula' timestamp='1370107643' post='2096563']
the ibanez has the comfort
[/quote]

This would be a strong deciding factor to me. A bass that feels comfortable to play, will always trump tone in my book.

Besides, there is always the possibility of dialing in the tone you want.

I agree that it's a tough dilemma to be in though. :unsure:

I've never played the Ibanez , or indeed the Yamaha BB1024X , but I am well familiar with the BB2024X that the 1024x is based on , and if it is anything like its' big brother , which I am certain it will be , then I think the Yamaha is something a bit special . The overall design of those Yamaha Super BB's is brilliant and they sound great for any style of music . Considering the Yamaha has got the same hardware as the 2024X and very similar advanced construction techniques ( including , I think but I am not 100% sure , a quartersawn neck ) , then it seems like a lot of bass for the money . If you have had a chance to play both then that is a big advantage in making a decision - one thing about the Yamaha is it's got a fairly chunky neck profile that won't neccesarily suit everybody - and if you were impressed by the Yamaha then I would think you can't go far wrong . It's a beautiful bass with a great pedigree .

Cool, I have played it. I also own a BBN 4 and a BBN 5. It's the comfort thing that is chipping away at me. My ibanez is so easy to play, but like I said, it's the tone of the new BB. I may have to go try the 1200 again. See if I missed out on something.

[quote name='kulabula' timestamp='1370109639' post='2096586']
Cool, I have played it. I also own a BBN 4 and a BBN 5. It's the comfort thing that is chipping away at me. My ibanez is so easy to play, but like I said, it's the tone of the new BB. I may have to go try the 1200 again. See if I missed out on something.
[/quote]

The big body on a BB does take a bit of getting used to - BB does stand for " Broad Bass , " after all , - and the neck isn't as skinny as an Ibanez usually is , but the big neck contributes to that big sound . Is there anything in particuarl that you find uncomfortable about the Yamaha , like the overall weight or feel of it ? As a general rule , if it's something you will never adapt to then it's best to walk away if you have serious doubts .

They're 2 completely different instruments. I'll always lean towards the Ibanez, its neck and body are more comfortable for me and I don't think it falls that short in the sound department. The BB makes an amazing sound but is heavy and has a humungous string spacing compared to the Ibanez.

2 very nice basses with different tonal strong points. So the way to decide is playability and comfort. Yammys are renowned for their weight so think about having it slung over your shoulder for a hour or so. Conversely Ibby SRs, although light and sleek, can feel a bit toy like if you're of a larger stature (I'm 6 foot and my GWB35 feels small and flimsy although it's neither in reality). If you can't decide which one feels or sounds best you only have looks left to go on. Whatever the result PICS!

Those Yamahas are unique - sounding basses . The Ibanez might have a lot of great qualities ( like I said , I've never played one myself so I can't say from experience ) but those BB's are difficult for any bass to match in terms of quality of tone , in my opinion . The don't sound modern , and they don't sound vintage either , they just sound right . They don't sound like a Fender either , even though there is some Fender lurking in there somewhere . The bottom end is effortlessly massive and there is plenty of cut at the top end to go along with it . Overall , I like the fact that they have got such a big sound from a passive bass .