Why become a member? ×

Recommend me an amp!

Kobra11

Hey guys,

Im looking around for a new amp for playing hard rock/heavy metal type stuff, looking for a head thats about 500w, cab wise im considering either a lightweight 4x10 or maybe 2 'heavy' 2x10's

budget of about £1k could probably go a bit over (brownie points for being under tho :D )

currently using a little ashdown combo and liking the tone so thinking of moving up to the ABM range but want to know what else is out there you guys can recommend?

Orange bass terror, either the 500 or 1000.

There really loud you might need to retube the 500 to get a bit more clean headroom. But they sound awesome.

Cab wise lightweight 410? The hartke hydrives are nice cabs, or maybe a gk neo 410?

Someone will no doubt metion barefaced in a bit, but theres something about the precence of a 410 that i like.

Andy

Give an ABM head a try out. They come up second hard pretty often, so fairly cheap, then put the rest into a good cab. I'll be the guy that says Barefaced, because they are basically way ahead of the competition, should be able to get the guidance direct from them as to specifically which one. Just bear in mind they tend to be much louder than their speaker compliment might lead you to believe, because you are used to pretty crude cabs.

For the budget - which is a nice amount btw - and given the fact that you like the Ashdown tone, I think Mr Foxen is fairly spot-on. A Barefaced Super 12 will get the best out of most amps, and being very uncoloured in the sound, will get the Ashdown tone your already happy with. Added advantage of being very easy to cart around as well.

I'd get to a shop & try some things out. Whereas I like Markbass, you might hate it. Some like the OBT, others say it's a 1 trick pony.
I'd choose either a 2x12 or 2x10 (or two) over a 4x10 due to the better flexibility & dispersion that the former offers.
I find the 1 Markbass 2x10 a lot louder & bassier than the Trace Elliot 4x10 I used to have. Mainly due to far superior drivers with a bigger excursion.
If I needed more volume, I'd get either another MB 2x10 or a sub to go under it that would allow me to turn the bass back a bit. That would put less stress on the drivers & allow me to turn up further.
So far, PA support has nilled my need to go any louder.

I know I'm becoming a cracked record, but I'm loving my Streamliner 6 & Super12T for classic rock & proggy, country & even (I suspect) a funky dep in the offing. Light, loud & getting me exactly the sound I am looking for with no pedals between bass & amp.

Would be a bit over your budget & you [i]might[/i] find it too 'warm' depending on the exact type of hard rock/metal you are talking of.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1369562340' post='2090390']
Secondhand i think is what he means dude, i managed toget my rig secondhand for under the price of a new orange 410
[/quote]

ive only been looking secondhand actually lol, although a Barefaced cab i'll probly have to get new. They hardly ever turn up secondhand and wen they do they get snapped up really quickly :(