Why become a member? ×

Love Supreme Jazz Festival: Brighton 5-7 July

TheGreek

Lazy Sunday afternoon..googling...found this event on over the weekend of 5-7 July - Friday night is the Funky Sensation Jazz Funk club night, Saturday featuring lots of great bands, including amongst others Portico Quartet, Chic, Courtney Pine and Marcus Miller. Headlining on the Saturday is Bryan Ferry. Sunday highlight for me would be Brand New Heavies and Melody Gardot.

http://www.lovesupremefestival.com/line-up/funky-sensation

Anybody going???

• 1 month later...

I saw a poster for this outside my local supermarket last week & was amazed I hadn't heard about it previously - I might as well live in a cave. I thought I saw Snarky Puppy were on? Either way, it's a family birthday & gigs that weekend so I shan't be going :-(

• 2 weeks later...

I can honestly say I had as close to a religious experience yesterday as I'll ever get. Marcus Miller was amazing. As expected he played a lot off the new album, but it was my first time seeing him live and he was truly awesome! So glad I got to see him and so close..

Chic were great ( but clashed with MM so no competition for viewing!),Courtney Pine and the Soul Rebels were amazing and Charles Bradley was an unexpected surprise..great little festival.....

Edited by bassfan

Did anyone else feel that the sound in the Big Top kinda sucked ? I've never heard Marcus sound so muddy. He would go from palm mute to slap & yet no change in sound, just boom.
Also noticed that his sound man was close to tears.
Did enjoy the day though, beautiful weather & my first time seeing Snarky Puppy ( look how freaking tight we are ) Amazing !

I was there on the Saturday - really enjoyed it, as did the missus, much to my relief! Think the weather had something to do with it.

We saw the end of Naturally 7, some of Gogo Penguin, then Soul Rebels, Eric Bibb, Courtney Pine, some of Michael Kiwanuka, Chic, Bryan Ferry. Seen Marcus Miller before so Chic got priority (they were amazing btw). Shame to have missed Snarky Puppy, I've listened to them on Spotify since and wished I'd gone. They're doing a London gig soon in a Hoxton pub but it's £20 to get in. Huh?

Chic was the best performance I think I've ever seen live, staggeringly good, I was only about 3 rows off the front dead center, and the sound was absolutely spot on too. Brilliant.

MM was thoroughly underwhelming for me after Chic (yeah, sue me ;)), nothing like as entertaining, and the sound was apalling!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1373454194' post='2137709']
Chic was the best performance I think I've ever seen live, staggeringly good, I was only about 3 rows off the front dead center, and the sound was absolutely spot on too. Brilliant.
[/quote]

Agreed - I was about 10-12 people back from the stage, central, sound was amazing. Mrs Tone wondered why I was getting antsy about getting a good place for Chic, but realised the fuss after the show. Loved the selection of songs as well, and wished they'd had the 15 mins or so more to play the songs from the Glastonbury set that they had to chop.

Anyone else think they should have headlined?

Yeah - I've got the BFJO album, and it's nice enough but not Saturday night headline material, The odd early Roxy number was nice, but to follow Remake/Remodel with a snooze cover of Knocking On Heavens Door was criminal. As were the two encores.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1373471768' post='2138038']
Knocking On Heavens Door!

Jeeez I was in my motor and on my way by then, thankfully.....
[/quote]

I'm now calm enough to mention the two encores... Sam And Dave's "Hold On I'm Coming", and Curtis Mayfield's "Move On Up". Great songs each, but they need a bit of groove and swing in them. BF tried but they really didn't work :(