Why become a member? ×

wal pro 1 e bass for sale built in 1979. SOLD..
£1600

customstocker

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
Price or Trade Value : £1600[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]selling my wal pro bass. made in 1979, bass is in great condition , lovely straight neck with rosewood fingerboard, with only a couple of small dings to the rear which are barely noticeable & certainly not noticeable when playing .carbon fibre inserts are clearly visible at top end of headstock . body is black stained ash with the classic wal black scratch plate which is in perfect condition , completely undamaged. active electronics with bass cut & pick attack filters ,chromed hardware , Schaller machine heads . bass gives a good variety of sounds with the 2 filters & is pretty impressive for a single pickup instrument. great for hypnotic dub bass lines, goes really low ....the pro series have a slightly warmer , less synthetic sound than the custom series but to be honest theres not much in it really. like the later custom basses this one is really quiet due to the graphite lined electronics cavity , it was designed as a proper studio instrument. with the bass is a wal hard shell case with a fluffy grey interior . im going to miss this bass a lot .sorry but no trades .im a brit , but im living in poland at present & can post the bass from here no probs with the normal post , i wouldnt use the couriers here though as they like to drop things . for images please click on this link , thanks for looking [/font][/color][url="http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/customstocker/library/wal%20pro1e%20bass%20guitar"]http://s1191.photobu...20bass%20guitar[/url]

Very lovely and a great price - I actually prefer these to the customs - I used to have the chance to play loads when the dealership was in Manchester, the neck profile (quite a pronounced V from memory) suited me perfectly

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1368958464' post='2083325']
Very lovely and a great price - I actually prefer these to the customs - I used to have the chance to play loads when the dealership was in Manchester, the neck profile (quite a pronounced V from memory) suited me perfectly
[/quote]

+ 1

Having owned and played Wal Pro basses many times over the years i'd say that there is a bit of neck dive, but not to the point where it affects your playing.

This looks like a very nice example to me, and the case alone is worth £200, so it's a pretty good price for a classic British bass!

Good luck with the sale.

i cant see any neck dive on the bass, it has strengthening carbon fibre inserts & the middle 2 laminates are hornbeam , a wood used for load bearing structures , the outer laminates are purely for show anyway as the machine heads are located further to the centre . cheers for the comments .

[quote name='customstocker' timestamp='1368984511' post='2083681']
i cant see any neck dive on the bass, it has strengthening carbon fibre inserts & the middle 2 laminates are hornbeam , a wood used for load bearing structures , the outer laminates are purely for show anyway as the machine heads are located further to the centre . cheers for the comments .
[/quote]

I think the phrase 'neck-dive' here means that with some basses with a large headstock (like the old Wal Pro models), the bass can be a bit neck heavy.. that's all.

It's not a comment about there being any structural problems with the bass or the neck of the bass, far from it in fact...

As you've rightly pointed out, these old Wal necks were not only very well made but also, reinforced by the addition of 2 carbon fibre strips, so they're virtually indestructible! :)

if thats what deck dive means then this bass definatly doesnt suffer from it , its so heavy... weighing in at 4.59 kilos or 10.5lbs in old money because of the solid lump of ash that the body is made of , that you would have to tie a bag of lead from the headstock to unbalance it .

[quote name='customstocker' timestamp='1369248487' post='2086943']
if thats what deck dive means then this bass definatly doesnt suffer from it , its so heavy... weighing in at 4.59 kilos or 10.5lbs in old money because of the solid lump of ash that the body is made of , that you would have to tie a bag of lead from the headstock to unbalance it .
[/quote]

Yep, 'neck dive' refers to the tendency of the headstock to head floorwards when you're wearing it due to balance issues.

the early wal headstocks ,like the one on this bass , look much bigger than they actually are , & have very little extra width compared to the later ones on the pros & the custom 4 string basses , its just due to the shape , if you compare them side by side they are pretty much the same dimensions, except for the curved middle section on the earlier ones being wider .having owned 2 wals with 1 of each of these headstock types , i would guess that theres probably less than 50 grammes difference in weight between the 2 styles . i like the quirky english design of the wal basses in general & i think that the earlier ones are really interesting , in part due to the paddle headstock & the overkill 7 screw fixing bridge , which the guys at wal finally changed in 1986 or thereabouts to a 5 screw fixing .....

just for the record......i dont modify classic british basses , some things are sacred . its stated on my website that this bass was a restoration project. infact cleaning it properly was the most that i did to it ....& finding it a proper wal case . i had to put a couple of instruments on my website a few years ago as i was trying to get involved with a company & needed to show something, anything . the franken-fender was a proper alteration job & when i sold it , i found out through a fender otaku that the neck wasnt actually a real fender neck at all , it was possibly a columbus or something from japan. annoying that the first bass i bought was a phoney , but it sounded amazing when it was finished which apparently isnt the point ? . i only bought the wal for myself to play ,these were the only 2 basses that i owned at the time...which is why i put images of both of them up on the web . its painful to even consider selling my wal, but if im honest i dont really play it as much as it deserves but if nobody buys it ...i wont be crying . cheers . !

Edited by customstocker

[quote name='customstocker' timestamp='1370198329' post='2097505']
hi, it is still for sale , what do you want pics of exactly ? close ups ? let me know what you need & il make them tomorrow . cheers
[/quote]

Sorry for delay ! Please close ups and full body , back, front. Please email me , [email protected].

Thanks

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1370536898' post='2102413']
I'm surprised that there haven't been more offers on this..thought it would have been snapped up within days...just goes to show that the recession is hitting harder than I thought...
[/quote] It would have sold in about 1 or 2 days in the States. 4 string fretted Wals don't sit for any amount of time. Looks like such a fun bass, good luck with the sale.

Edited by mikeswals

[color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]"less synthetic sound than the custom series but to be honest theres not much in it really[/font][/color]"

Hi good luck in your sale.
i do understand sound is subjective.
BUT...the wal custom is anything other than [color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]synthetic[/font][/color].
Even compaired to the 1, 1E, 2 , 2E.
iv been playing my custom for more than 20 years now and its one of the most naturel "woody" sound of all my basses.
before that 20 years i used a wal pro 1 and 2E for years,