Why become a member? ×

Do you have your own personaity on the bass.?

bubinga5

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1368619719' post='2079232']
Um, I took it down because I presumed no-one would think beyond the fact it was pretty faithful to the original, and wasn't sure if it illustrated the point of this thread properly, I can clearly hear my style in there, I doubt anyone else can :rolleyes: But here it is again. The suit was because we were going out and I was waiting for my queen to get ready so I recorded it then, I didn't put all that clobber on just for the vid :lol:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QbJ0Ga8hFc[/media]
[/quote]

Great pick work Nige. I'm getting tired of seeing bass players avoid using picks, I put it down to years of prejudice against pick playing. The guys you do see finally picking it up are usually great fingerstyle players but novices with picks which I always find really strange to watch. I digress, but you nailed it.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1368627953' post='2079428']
Great pick work Nige. I'm getting tired of seeing bass players avoid using picks, I put it down to years of prejudice against pick playing. The guys you do see finally picking it up are usually great fingerstyle players but novices with picks which I always find really strange to watch. I digress, but you nailed it.
[/quote]

Very kind mate, thank you! The only problem is I can't use a pick with the gloves on :lol: I very rarely play pick style with the bands but I LOVE the feel and sound of them.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QbJ0Ga8hFc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QbJ0Ga8hFc[/url]

That 'Wick sounds more like a Rick than most Ricks I've heard!! Nailed the tone totally man! B)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1368628624' post='2079438']

That 'Wick sounds more like a Rick than most Ricks I've heard!! Nailed the tone totally man! B)
[/quote]

:D The power of the POD mate, plus you can play a nice bass insteadof battling a Rickenbacker :P Cheers!

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1368629303' post='2079448']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/3459-xilddx/"][color=#282828]xilddx[/color][/url] - Office is unusually busy today hence why no comment on video, cheers for putting back up :)
[/quote]
No problem mate, hope it's what you were after.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1368612709' post='2079110']
but isn't the highest goal in playing music to project the content/expression directly into the listeners hearts?
[/quote]
Only if you give a flying f*** about what other people think of your music or have a desperate need for people to tell you how wonderful you are.
I'd say the highest goal in music is to create something that you yourself are happy with. If it ends up connecting with other people then that's just a bonus.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1368631685' post='2079495']
Only if you give a flying f*** about what other people think of your music or have a desperate need for people to tell you how wonderful you are.
I'd say the highest goal in music is to create something that you yourself are happy with. If it ends up connecting with other people then that's just a bonus.
[/quote]
I would think most pop and rock musicians need to do both. Unless they are happy selling fried f***ing chicken for the rest of their lives.

[/quote]

Don't most musicians play music for other people, ie functions band, session work, even original music, not much point to it if people don't like it.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1368618239' post='2079192']
all well and good but where is the line between and genuine honest attempt at an improved or personalised arrangment and laziness at not bothering to listen to or inability to reproduce the original arrangement (for technical/skill reasons) ? sometimes the studio production will mean that it cannot be reproduced faithfully in a live setting and usually it is down to the band line-up and instrumentation requiring the arrangement to be altered

a technically difficult arrangment may be tricky for a band to replicate in a live situation but a 'lazy arrangement' will usually sound like just that - an arrangement can often be simplified and with attention to just small details can lift it from being ordinary to sounding like the band have put a modicum of thought and effort into re-arranging it :)
[/quote]
I wasn't recommending laziness.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1368619719' post='2079232']
... I presumed no-one would think beyond the fact it was pretty faithful to the original ...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QbJ0Ga8hFc[/media]
[/quote]
I had no idea whether it was faithful to the original as I am not at all familiar with Yes.

I just enjoyed it.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1368608359' post='2079039']
isn't this the essential condition for a bassplayer to develop an own voice? ;)
I mean you can only become very good and unique if you know the basics, don't you?
and since we are talking about playing bass, it is not about scalebusting and speed...
[/quote]
Call me a philistine but I was not and am not trying to develop my 'own voice'. I am just trying to play the songs.

Only if you give a flying f*** about [b]what other people think of your music or have a desperate need for people to tell you how wonderful you are[/b].
[/quote]
I believe you didn't get my point.
it is not about the messenger, his ego or his ability but about direct delivery.
if you don't have to say something, you are not an artist anyway. and you can never deliver directly if you are not happy with what do do.

Edited by krysh

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1368634419' post='2079540']
Call me a philistine but I was not and am not trying to develop my 'own voice'. I am just trying to play the songs.
[/quote]
nothin wrong with this. :D

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1368635008' post='2079545']
@ nige:

I like kits version much better than the original and your cover also is outstanding. I don'tknow the original, so can't tell about your personal performance.
[/quote]

That's really kind of you mate, thank you!

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1368635593' post='2079560']
Frankly, I find it hard enough to play in time and in tune (especially on a double bass) that "personaliy" doesn't come into it, perseverance and concentration does. That plus the fact I am a goatwhore
[/quote]

:D

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1368635593' post='2079560']
Frankly, I find it hard enough to play in time and in tune (especially on a double bass) that "personaliy" doesn't come into it, perseverance and concentration does. That plus the fact I am a goatwhore
[/quote]
That could be me, except I'm not sure what a goatwhore is.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1368633513' post='2079523']
Don't most musicians play music for other people, ie functions band, session work, even original music, not much point to it if people don't like it.
[/quote]
There's every point to it if the person doing it personally finds it fulfilling.
There are plenty of musicians out there who would be doing what they do whether they had an audience or not - they are driven to create music that means something to them first & foremost.

I'm talking about writing original music here - obviously the criteria will be different if you're playing covers in a tribute band, doing wedding gigs or whatever as in that context you are doing it solely for the entertainment of other people.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1368641056' post='2079654']
There's every point to it if the person doing it personally finds it fulfilling.
There are plenty of musicians out there who would be doing what they do whether they had an audience or not - they are driven to create music that means something to them first & foremost.

I'm talking about writing original music here - obviously the criteria will be different if you're playing covers in a tribute band, doing wedding gigs or whatever as in that context you are doing it solely for the entertainment of other people.
[/quote]
I have come across people who want to 'create music that means something to them first and foremost' but I've usually found that the music was neither particularly original nor particularly good. I'm sure there must be many exceptions to my experience.

I don't play in a tribute band or a wedding band myself but if I did (and indeed I have) then it wouldn't be 'solely for the entertainment of other people' because I would both enjoy it and get paid.