Why become a member? ×

Roland: better quality?

garry71

I've been looking at various practise combos and have shortlisted Apeg BA108, Ashdown After Eight, and Roland Bass Cube 8".

The Roland is quite a bit dearer than the other two, so what do you get for the extra money? Is it for all the various effects or is the build quality better as well? I don't mind paying extra for better quality, if that's the case.

Cheers.

I have had the Roland Bass Cube 30watt (10 inch full range speaker) for a few years. Totally reliable, easy to use, very compact, fairly light and silly loud when needed. I've even used it for some quieter intimate gigs without problems. The build quality is very good too,

Cheers

Geoff

Thanks for the answers. I wasn't too sure about all the effects on the Roland as I'm basically a '70s thudder, but it might make me expand out a bit more soundwise. I've got a Roland/Boss micro BR recorder which is still going strong, so I'll go with the Roland when I get the tax refund through.

Cheers
Garry

I've got a 100w Cube. It lacks the loop recording on the newer models, but it's got the other effects.
The sound is a touch "bright" for my liking, but otherwise the volume for use at home is really too loud (did I really say that?).
Most of the time I've got both the gain and volume both at 3/10. So I recon it would do a small gig.
I've also got a Boss FS-6 foot switch, so I can turn the effects on/off whilst playing. Had it about 12 months and no problems.

I bought a CB100 when they first came out several years ago. It was my first & only brand new bass amp purchase, all others being 2nd hand. At the same time my brother bought the CB30. I sold the CB100 when I bought a DB115 which I still have. I still use the CB30 when pracising at my brothers house. He's hanging on to it. I also have a Roland KB150 which I have used for practice, good transparent sound.

I have never had a reliability problem with Roland. The quality is very good. They have a service centre in Newport I think. I phoned them up to get a replacement Jack socket nut & they were very helpful.

The wattage rating is accurate. I gigged with my CB100 for 3 - 4 years at small to medium venues without any problem. The only reason I don't still use it is I discovered 15" speakers. The amp models were ok & the ext speaker o/p useful when I got an SWR 10" Workingman's cab. I do recommend Roland but they are expensive. Good luck.

Edited by grandad

I've owned the 100w Roland Cube for a few years now and my cousin had it for a few more before me and the only problem I had was a blown fuse.

Unfortunately this one doesn't have a looper but apart from that it's really good. Also really loud, I've used it for small gigs and it handled it fine.

Not used any of the others though so can't compare.