Why become a member? ×

Anyone ever seen one?

Painy

Just wondering if anyone out there could help me with this - nothing more than curiosity but been kinda bugging me for years.
I've always liked the bass sound on Glenn Hughes' Feel album (very warm sound especially given that he plays with a pick) and the sleeve notes say the bass he used was an ESP Funkmeister 6 string. Now I'm guessing it's long been discontinued but I can't find so much as a picture on line and wondered if anyone on here knew anything about them or had a picture they could put up?

Sorry that you haven't had an answer but look on the bright side at least you haven't been bombarded with the usual replies telling you:

A. Not to buy it
B. Why it would be a waste of money
C. Why it wouldn't suit your playing style
D. Why it should have less strings
E. Why it should have more strings
F. They don't make it in the right colour
G. I wouldn't buy a bass with a maple fretboard (call me a traditionalist etc etc......)

:D

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1368314210' post='2075693']
Sorry that you haven't had an answer but look on the bright side at least you haven't been bombarded with the usual replies telling you:

A. Not to buy it
G. I wouldn't buy a bass with a maple fretboard (call me a traditionalist etc etc......)

[/quote]

Ha ha. Very good point well made. In all fairness though it's never been more than idle curiosity anyway - just one of those things that bugs you. Guess if I just emailed ESP direct it might be easier.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1368358788' post='2076012']
Ha ha. Very good point well made. In all fairness though it's never been more than idle curiosity anyway - just one of those things that bugs you. Guess if I just emailed ESP direct it might be easier.
[/quote]
Looks like you've stumped the experts. If you do find an answer please share it on here.

P.S. I'm still amazed that no one has still not told you to forget the ESP and to buy a Stingray is often the way on here. :D

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1368314210' post='2075693']

A. Not to buy it

[/quote]
[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1368460188' post='2077335']
Looks like you've stumped the experts. If you do find an answer please share it on here.

P.S. I'm still amazed that no one has still not told you to forget the ESP and to buy a Stingray is often the way on here. :D
[/quote]

You do realise this is bass guitar forum , don't you ? :D

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1368460688' post='2077343']
Information on other subjects is often available too . Just don't ask for any hairdressing advice . Take it from me , that one got pretty nasty .
[/quote]
I regularly read the Bass Guitars, eBay - Weird and Wonderful and Basses For Sale sections and that's more than enough for me thanks. I have posted in the Off Topic forum occasionally but really can't be bothered anymore with some of the old waffle that's on it. Each to their own but like a lot of forums they are usually based solely on the 'I'm right, you're wrong' attitude so i see no point in them. :)

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1368460413' post='2077338']
You do realise this is bass guitar forum , don't you ? :D
[/quote]
Yes but when someone asks for advice on a forum (i would never ask for advice only information so i can make up my own mind) it usually ends up with the forum 'experts' telling them and not actually advising.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1368460688' post='2077343']
Information on other subjects is often available too . Just don't ask for any hairdressing advice . Take it from me , that one got pretty nasty .
[/quote]

It just never grew back :(

I've only heard of the Iceni Zoot Funkmeister - one of which was for sale on Basschat - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/166494-sold-zoot-iceni-funkmeister-5/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/166494-sold-zoot-iceni-funkmeister-5/[/url]

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1368259286' post='2074933']
Just wondering if anyone out there could help me with this - nothing more than curiosity but been kinda bugging me for years.
I've always liked the bass sound on Glenn Hughes' Feel album (very warm sound especially given that he plays with a pick) and the sleeve notes say the bass he used was an ESP Funkmeister 6 string. Now I'm guessing it's long been discontinued but I can't find so much as a picture on line and wondered if anyone on here knew anything about them or had a picture they could put up?
[/quote]

I don't personally know anything about ESPs, but would this be what you're after?

It's taken from here: [url="http://www.glennhughes.com/ghtvor.html"]http://www.glennhughes.com/ghtvor.html[/url] which states that ESP had just completed making it and the two parties were considering an endorsement deal (hence publicity shot).

So, probably a custom shop job that's never been available commercially.

Big thanks to all. Having looked on the ESP website I did find that they make an 'F' series of basses and I can now see that this is the same distinctive body shape. One of these models in particular also has an 'FM' suffix (FunkMeister?) although its only listed as being available in a 4 string but I'm guessing this may be the production version in any case.
Always thought it was interesting that Glenn Hughes was using a 6 string on the feel album when I'd only really seen him use 4s/5s. Always loved the bass sound on that album though!

Right next question. Anyone know what amp he was using?!?! ;)

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1368570743' post='2078806']

'Fraid not. It stands for "flamed maple".
[/quote]

Okay, now I feel stupid for missing the obvious! Maybe the F series in general is for funkmeister then, or then again maybe not. :\ To be fair it does just sound like the kind of name GH would have come up with himself for his own custom shop bass.

If I'm honest, as much as I like the sound on that album, I'm not really over keen on that body shape now that I see it but still cool to finally know what it looks like!

I imagine that tonally the bass is not a million miles away from any other ESP/LTD bass with soapbars. ESP should be able to give you details of any specific details such as preamps, pickups etc.

A lot of what makes the tone is in the recording and mix... I think the bass is very likely to have received special attention in this case.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1368648223' post='2079832']
I can see a history lesson of hairdressing through the ages coming.
[/quote]

You've spoilt that for me now . I was just preparing my post with photographic illustrations using snaps of my my past hairstyles , including a couple very close to those sported by Glenn Hughes . People might laugh at mullets now , but they definitely sounded good back in the '80's .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1368653646' post='2079957']
You've spoilt that for me now . I was just preparing my post with photographic illustrations using snaps of my my past hairstyles , including a couple very close to those sported by Glenn Hughes . People might laugh at mullets now , but they definitely sounded good back in the '80's .
[/quote]
I was really looking forward to our history of Coiffure by one our learned BCers (or stating the obvious as is often the case) and just thought it might start with something like..............'The Mullett, unlike the Bouffant..........'

I'm sure it would have ended with Fenders are overrated and you should have bought a Stingray though. :)

Edited by BetaFunk