Why become a member? ×

Octaves, finger style

I started out pretty much exclusively playing slap bass. Now that I play more finger style, I really hate playing octaves. Just wondering if people had any tips? Obviously with slap its incredibly easy (and natural for me) whereas with finger style I can never get comfortable. I'm not sure if its better to move my hand or to keep my fingers in place (if its just repeating the same octave), or just use my thumb and fingers (little trick as I don't have a floating thumb technique).

Edited by ScreencastTutor

I use my forefinger and ring finger on the right hand, with a little bit of movement on the left fingers pressing on and off. If I'm doing bouncy 'disco' octaves I use a pattern that's uncommon but easiest for me - fore, ring, middle. e.g 1--3-2-1--3-2-1--3-2-1--3-2-

You have to work through to crack these basic techniques.
Dig out any old Bernard Edwards tracks and put the time in.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wlJr6eCc-w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wlJr6eCc-w[/url]

You can get this pattern with fingers ..even if the sound in the track could be a pick.
Use it as an exercise and once you can play this... you wont have any problems playing fingerstyle octaves.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6x--c9SZak"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6x--c9SZak[/url]

practice triplets either 2 or the root and 1 octave..and then the other way round.

• 4 months later...

I, like most folk, play the lower note with the index finger and the higher note with the midle finger. You should have more control if you play with your right hand closer to the bridge (as opposed to the neck-joint) where the strings feel more rigid. Also, I find that the position of the bass helps to no end with good finger-style technique. Each to their own, as it's subjective of course, but there is a prime position for the physical mechanics of it all.

Usually : ring finger for the low note; index and middle for the high

occasionally : little finger for the low note; ring, index and middle to have fun on the high note.

also occasionally : thumb for low note, all 3 'big' fingers together for high, in a crab-like pincer motion

another thought would be - why not combine slap and finger style? with the right bass, setup and maybe a bit of compression, slap doesn't have to be loads louder than finger style...

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1368219109' post='2074701']
I used to hate octaves until I changed to floating thumb! Much easier now :)
[/quote]

This. Float your thumb and use index and middle - sure feels weird to try this anchored...

Thanks guys. I'll experiment with getting closer to the bridge and angling the bass as Fionn suggested.
Topo Morto, that's a bit advanced for me! Little finger! I just need to be comfortable enough to play basic octaves. Not ready to funk. Like that Rocco video made me laugh: "practice high lows and low highs" and then he demonstrates with that cazy bassline.

[quote name='floFC' timestamp='1380979778' post='2233062']
Topo Morto, that's a bit advanced for me! Little finger! I just need to be comfortable enough to play basic octaves.
[/quote]
It's more that I'm sh*te and need as many fingers on call as possible in the hope that one of them might be able to make it in time!

Thanks OldG. What about left (fretting) hand? I find that when I slide from one octave to a higher one my index goes nicely against the fret but my ring finger ends up in between the frets and the high note buzzes. Just lots if practice again?

My hands aren't anywhere near big enough to play an octave with index and ring on left hand - I use index on the low string, and on the high string have the little finger fretting the note with my other two fingers behind the little finger helping it push the high string down. That way i'm not stretching or pushing too hard and my hand is in a natural octave shape. YMMV (your mitts may vary)

[quote name='floFC' timestamp='1380981414' post='2233080']
Thanks OldG. What about left (fretting) hand? I find that when I slide from one octave to a higher one my index goes nicely against the fret but my ring finger ends up in between the frets and the high note buzzes. Just lots if practice again?
[/quote]

Yep, practice it is unfortunately.... now get used to playing with the fifth on the string in between - and you've got the tools to bluff your way through a lot of tunes...