Why become a member? ×

Move to a 5 string?

Hi there

Have been playing a 4 string jazz for the last few years but having been diagnosed with ms I'm finding it increasingly difficult to play down by the nut due to stretching problems. My idea is to buy a 5 string where I guess I can start with the bottom e string on the 5th fret of the low b and transpose from there playing most of the common forms between the 5th and 12th frets. Appreciate any views on this

I've had a fiver for nine months odd, and do this a fair bit. It is comfortable playing something in G up at the 8th fret. The main reason I do it is that it gives a fatter tone that suits many of my reggae basslines.
So really, my only advice is yes it should work, but be aware of the change of tone as you play up the neck.

Edited by Roland Rock

Definitely possible, might be worth looking at a 33" or 34" scale bass that has a good sounding B string? There are a few guys on here who use a 5 with that scale length and swear by whatever bass it is that they have.

Are you able to use a 1-2-4 (DB) fingering in the first 5-7 frets without any discomfort?

[quote name='Stingraybob' timestamp='1367601645' post='2067505']
Hi there

Have been playing a 4 string jazz for the last few years but having been diagnosed with ms I'm finding it increasingly difficult to play down by the nut due to stretching problems. My idea is to buy a 5 string where I guess I can start with the bottom e string on the 5th fret of the low b and transpose from there playing most of the common forms between the 5th and 12th frets. Appreciate any views on this
[/quote]
If you are going to play from the fifth fret only then you might well be better off getting a shorter scale bass (30" or 32") and playing in normal positions.

You can check it out by putting a capo at fret one (=32.1" scale) or capo fret two (30.3" scale) and tuning accordingly.

Fifth fret is equivalent to 25.5" scale.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1367609528' post='2067631']
Have you considered a short scale, or even a headless bass?
[/quote]

I've found that most headless basses,
for balance reasons,
have the neck shifted to the left about a whole step
when compared to the traditional Fenders, etc.
where you'll find the top horn strap button above the 12th fret.

This actually places the entire fretboard of a headless,
including your uncomfortable first position,
[b][i]farther[/i][/b] [b][i]away[/i][/b] from you.

So, for example, with your elbow against your body,
where your fret hand would naturally fall for the E at the 7th fret A?
Mine falls on F#... and my low F is waaay out there!
(This is why I move my strap to my right shoulder at times)

Most people who play my Steinbergers have commented on this
and it took me some getting use to when I switched to headless.

• 1 month later...

there are also 33 inch basses and try maybe comfort strap? I play 5 string bass but I agree the tone is different depend where you play it it is like when you play ``e on the D string(second fret) and compare it to the 12 th fret on E string and that is kind of tole you will get. I also agree with guys above

Hi Bob, have you tried sitting down?

Use a high stool and rest the bass, angled up slightly, on your right thigh. For me that moves the bass further to the right and brings the neck and nut closer and reduces the left arm stretch.

You are right, a 5 string will reduce the stretch even more.

• 3 weeks later...

I moved on to 5 strings after joining up with a jazz quartet, I found the low 5th string ideal for low d's against the g (3rd fret 4th string) also useful to have a low e flat against the a flat on the 4th string. Also I have hand & wrist problems & find as we play a fair bit in f I use 6fret on low b string to give my fingers less of a stretch. Headless basses have always been a favourite of mine (these are usualy 34" scale) Sei's are light as a feather but not cheap, steinberger spirit's are excellent value if you can find a 5 string, the downside of the steiny is the way they hang on a strap, they need a bracket fabricated to put the top strap button somewhere over the 12-14th fret, not difficult to sort out & that improves playability no end. If you fancy something headed I have a warwick fna 5'er going spare as I really don't need 3 basses any more. Moving from 4 - 5strings is not that difficult, initially I gigged my Sei as a four string & gradually added in notes from the 5th string, now I have become so reliant on those low notes & options of other playing positions I could never go back to 4, give it a go, all the best, mike b.

I have recently sold all my 4 string basses, factor in all of the reasons in favour above plus a wrist injury and the 5 strings are staying with me now and I will never go back!
Go for it :)

Im not a Dingwall fan but in this case I would say a 5 string Dingwall should at least be worth trying before it is ruled out, it could be just the thing for you?

I would definitely recommend a 5 string, I suffer with arthritic wrists and play most songs further up the neck. You do get a difference in tone but this is not always a bad thing. You can usually brighten up the sound with a good amp.