Why become a member? ×

OD's for different style basses ?

hamfist

RIght, I'll come straight out with it, I love Precisions, and love how my Wounded Paw Black Sheep sounds with P's. IMO, the Black Sheep's OD is just perfect for a P bass. Pretty damn good with a Jazz, both pickups, too.
However, when I play my new Ibanez ATK310 (Stingray-type thing) the Black Sheep sounds extremely mediocre. Whatever I do with it, however I EQ the amp (and with my RH450 I have and almost infinite amount of EQ options), I cannot get a sound I like. So I have this lovely Ibanez which sounds absolutely gorgeous clean but I can't make even a half decent driven tone with it, using the equipment at my disposal.

Has anyone noticed how some OD's sound incredible with one type of bass and yet are pants with another.

Lastly, I would like some suggestions for an OD which gels beautifully with MM Stingray-type basses.

my xotic BB bass preamp sounds very good with both my stingray and my precision, so would be my recommendation. prior to that I had an old, pre-MOSFET fulltone bassdrive which also sounded great with both. neither pedal sounded great with my jazz bass though...

Now that I have a new style of bass, I clearly need to go back and try out all the drive pedals I have played and rejected in the past on P's and J's (maybe 30 drive pedals !) with this new bass. This is harder than I thought.
Hope I'm lucky early on in my search !

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1367526780' post='2066578']
im not familiar with the wounded paw but I think any drive with a decent on board EQ should be useful for any bass.
[/quote]

THe Wounded Paw actually has superb EQ control, as it's a multi-band overdrive, with control of the drive in 3 different EQ bands. It also has a variable clean blend, so it's actually a hugely versatile pedal. I'm just not "feeling it" with the ATK though. It's the tonal quality of the OD that just doesn't seem to do it for me with the ATK bass.

Depends what the OD is doing - if it's boosting midrange frequencies then the P bass is doing that simply by being a P bass. Jazz basses have a natural dip in mid frequencies, so that might explain why this happens.

I reckon the only way to go is Fretmeister's approach: 1 bass per pedal!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1367460317' post='2066007']
Yup.

My Status loves The Sheehan EBS and the B3K

The Marleaux HATES drive of any kind.

The P loves the B3K and the Marshall Jackhammer.

I have about 20 drive pedals. Clearly I need 20 basses! :D
[/quote]

My Vigier is a complete fx dodger. I think it's the low (600 Ohm) output impedance..

Best all rounder I've found is my Ampeg SVP pro. Lots of tube niceness..

I have been Warwick only for a few years now, but i remember selling at least one drive pedal whenever i bought a new bass. Certainly the pedals i have owned have been very sensitive to what is going into them. I bought a Mesa Boogie Bottle Rock recently which i adored with my Stingray, however playing with my Warwicks now it just wasn't the pedal i remembered it being.

Wounded paw sounds like a drive I should have haha.

Personally I blame the bass. Not owned at ATK but the local has a few, while built very and have the same punch and harmonic content is expect from a bass with a pickup in the sweet spot, the sound was ever so dead and lack luster.
Also I feel that musicman and similar basses when driven with an OD can seem thin as there isn't a lot of inherent low end, just loads midrange.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1367645812' post='2067854']
Personally I blame the bass. Not owned at ATK but the local has a few, while built very and have the same punch and harmonic content is expect from a bass with a pickup in the sweet spot, the sound was ever so dead and lack luster.
[/quote]

I've never played another ATK, but this 310 is a cracker. The clean tone (the real test) is just superb. Don't know how it compares with all the other ATK models but it has a different pickup switching arrangement and options than the current ATK models I think.

I think it depends on the type of PU material used.
Usually Fender (type) instruments have AlNiCo based PUs whereas a lot of more modern sounding basses have ceramic based PUs.
The ceramic based PUs have, IMHO at least, a "hi-mid gank" whicj makes them sound "sterile" and nasal sonding with OD pedals.

There is another factor I don't like with ceramic PU equipped basses. When you play higher up the neck, with AlNiCo PUs, the sound just gets fatter (muddier even, if not eq-ed properly).
With ceramic PUs this isn't the case..... I prefer the former:)

Edited by gillento