Why become a member? ×

Thinking about a new head....

Twigman

OK so I've posted a few which amp kind of threads lately.
I'm at sixes and sevens over what I really want.
My current head is a Hartke HA3500.
I will shortly (I hope - waiting what feels like forever) be the owner of a BFB S12T.
I had planned on running my HA3500 on it for a while but will probably want something more portable in time.
I had toyed with the idea of going all tube but then I would not have the portability...
In the past on my old Hartke cab I would run the EQ on the amp flat, the tube pre @ 3 o'clock and the SS pre at 9 o'clock.
This would get me the tone I need, with it being adjusted on the East p-retro in the bass.

So....I am now looking at possible replacements for the HA3500.
I have decided it needs to be small and light - preferably able to be stowed in a gig bag
Budget shouldn't be a problem - anything goes.
The thing is I have very limited knowledge of how various amps actually sound.
Some amps that some folk love, I hate - eg Marshall MB410 combo is horrible - can't get on with the one in our rehearsal rooms.
I have looked at GB Shuttle 6.2/9.2 because it has similar architecture, I believe to the Hartke.
Lots of people rave about Markbass....I used a CMD151P combo at a gig in Italy last year and couldn't get quite what I wanted from it, albeit I only had a short soundcheck. - but how do their SS heads sound compared with the Hartke?
TC electronic heads seem to be popular but seem a bit HiFi and high tech to me.
Aguilar - now I suppose it's probably a bit crunchier than the Hartke?
GK - complete unknown to me....
I tried an Orange Terrorbass 500 in Berlin and struggled with that too.
However my favourite tone ever was achieved through a very old Ampeg all valve head into an Ampeg 8x10 in Athens a few years back - I wanted that gig to last for ever!!

So I will be driving a S12T and looking for a similar tone to my Hartke setup biased to the tube side of the pre.
Ideally I would like an amp capable of driving a 2ohm load (but I realise these are rare) in case I want to double up my cabs in the future.

What would you do if you were in this position?

Edited by Twigman

Not sure what your definition of "light" is, but I play a Hartke LH500 through my BFB and it soulds great to my ears. It is in a rackbag, which reduced the weight. Although I have never weighed it, it is an easy one handed carry.

What I did in exactly your position was buy a Genz Shuttle 6, I ran it for a year and it served me well, but while the valve preamp is excellent, I wanted a more all valve sound - probably more like the Marshall and Orange amps you dislike to be fair, so I have just bought a Carvin BX500 because I tired one out and it had that dark valvy sound.

The Hartke HA3500 i had never sounded all that valvey, even when, like you I turned the pree all the way around to tube. But the tube pre did warm it up. I think the Genz was a close match to the Hartke in terms of sound, but I wanted something else.

So I will be selling my Genz in the next week or two, but that's not why i'd recommend it. I'd recommend it for you because its a good amp and it produces similar results to the Hartke. The only thing it won't do is 2 ohms, but trust me you won't need it with a Super12T!!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1367328310' post='2064232']
Not sure what your definition of "light" is,
[/quote]
I would like to be able to make 1 trip to/from the car.
Cab in one hand - I have heard this is possible with a S12T - bass in the other in a gig bag with the head in the pocket of the gig bag, pedal board in bag over shoulder. :)

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1367328421' post='2064235']

So I will be selling my Genz in the next week or two, but that's not why i'd recommend it. I'd recommend it for you because its a good amp and it produces similar results to the Hartke. The only thing it won't do is 2 ohms, but trust me you won't need it with a Super12T!!
[/quote]
i think I will buy new whatever - I like the peace of mind of full warranty etc

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1367339730' post='2064437']
peavey vb3, pricey but lightweight and all valve, its the best thing i have heard througha s12t.
[/quote]

it's hardly 1 trip from the car portable though is it?

I think from your description of sound Ian, that I`d look at the Genz Benz Streamliner, Aguilar Tone Hammer 500, Markbass Little Mark Tube, or TC Electronic Classic 450. These amps, from what I`ve heard (and owned re Markbass & TC Classic) seem to do a fair approximation of the Ampeg-type tones. Or, why not look at the Ampeg SVT7PRO - plenty of power there, and authentic Ampeg sound.

GK MB Fusion? Light, loud, tube preamp, versatile.... Then you'd run the exact rig I run...

PS doubling up anything when there's an S12 already there is probably overkill unless you're playing Wembley!

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1367327499' post='2064216']
TC electronic heads seem to be popular but seem a bit HiFi and high tech to me.
[/quote]

The TC heads are anything but Hi-fi, and are actually some of the best SS "tubeamp-sounding" small heads out there. I would strongly advise the RH heads over the classics though, for the main point of being able to choose all your EQ frequenciy points on the RH's. This feature gives you a HUGE flexibility in tone.
The TC amps are small, but are still very solidly built. Due to this they so weigh a fair bit more than many of the lighter offerings. But it's all relative I guess. Can hardly call a 4.5kg head (RH450) a heavyweight. Due to it's compactness it actually feels a lot lighter in use.
If I sound like a TC fanboy, it's because I probably am. I have been blown away by the RH450 recently, and I have owned a LOT of amps.

Aside from the Ampeg PF500 I had, the TC Classic 450 was probably the best amp at imitating that valvey verge-of-breakdown sound, due to the Tubetone, plus the Spectracomp was a very good feature too. Very versatile amps indeed.

To give you an idea of the noise I like to make

The Ampeg valve + 8x10 gig....my favourite tone albeit this is filmed from the back of a large auditorium.....JV-P flats fingers
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RWSUDlemFg[/media]

My hartke HA3500 + VX1508 with my J/P flats and fingers.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l23FvLYIXzo[/media]

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1367400482' post='2065045']
I wouldn't buy anything or even bother testing anything until you have your new cab. Gig it with the Hartke, then you'll actually have an accurate idea of what works and what can be improved and we can help advise you on the stuff to try.
[/quote]
Thanks Alex - won't stop me doing my homework but I wasn't going to shell out any more moolah until I 'need' to, which means after the cab.