Why become a member? ×

"Worst ever neck dive"

s0fa

Following on from this post

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19764&pid=209922&st=0&"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...2&st=0&[/url]

I got my bass, promptly named it Dexter and had my first bass lesson with queenofthedepths :)

Whilst I've been told it's an "alright" bass... it has really bad neck dive...

My brother has suggested using an acoustic strap on it, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Sophie

Hi

I'm not familiar with your bass, but maybe this trick will work for you? - [url="http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/"]http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/[/url]

Hamster

It probably doesant neck dive as bad as my ironbirds.

This is what i did.

You dont need to drill any extra holes, all you need is one extra long and thin screw.

Its cured the problem. Does not get in the way of fret access. And it doesant look weird.

Edited by Shockwave

The strap button is pretty much where those have been moved to

If it helps here is the bass

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAISY-ROCK-HEARTBREAKER-BLACKHEART-BASS_W0QQitemZ370050914845QQihZ024QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAISY-ROCK-HEARTBREA...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

I think it's the shape of the body more than anything

(I will attempt fiddling with the strap buttons though! - thanks)

Edited by s0fa

My Daughter has a Daisyrock heartbreaker - Its a great bass I love the sound & feel of it - the duncan designed pickup is so punchy, but the neck dive was a problem. I had previously fixed the neck dive on my thunderbird by relocating the strap button to behind the neck heel as in the link in the post above. i found this wasn't appropriate for the heartbreaker, but after a bit of trial & error I fixed it by putting an additional strap button below the neck in a positition symetrical to the original one (as if fitting for a left handed version). This may sound like it would look a bit odd, but looks OK bhen stapped on and works like a charm - it balances perfectly and is very comfy to play. If you like I can posts some pics.

MB1. :)
A mate of mine bought a Epiphone SG copy(guitar),the neck dive was horendous,leaving the guitar almost unplayable while standing.Me bringing a brick and a piece of string into the rehearsal room didnt go down too well either,however the guitar was returned to the shop and replaced.

[quote]MB1.
A mate of mine bought a Epiphone SG copy(guitar),the neck dive was horendous,leaving the guitar almost unplayable while standing.Me bringing a brick and a piece of string into the rehearsal room didnt go down too well either,however the guitar was returned to the shop and replaced.[/quote]

Martin, I'd have expected you of all people to experience some neck dive when you get adoring fans swinging off your bendwell!

[quote name='3V17C' post='210145' date='May 31 2008, 03:09 PM']my attitude ltd 1 is pretty neck heavy but i use a 4" wide leather strap which is rough on the underside so pretty grippy so it doesn't bother me too much.

peace

c[/quote]

Hey, can you tell me the brand of the strap you are using? I'm having some trouble with my Fender P bass and can't find the right strap that helps with the neck diving.

Thanks!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='209956' date='May 31 2008, 01:52 AM']Those velcro on aerobics weights round the strap on the bridge end of the strap. Heavier butbetter balanced.[/quote]
I've used a similar trick - put something heavy (washers or lead strip if you can find some) int a padded phone case, and thread that onto the strap at the bridge end. It works well, but tends to get in the way when you put the bass on a stand.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='209986' date='May 31 2008, 08:37 AM']My Daughter has a Daisyrock heartbreaker - Its a great bass I love the sound & feel of it - the duncan designed pickup is so punchy, but the neck dive was a problem. I had previously fixed the neck dive on my thunderbird by relocating the strap button to behind the neck heel as in the link in the post above. i found this wasn't appropriate for the heartbreaker, but after a bit of trial & error I fixed it by putting an additional strap button below the neck in a positition symetrical to the original one (as if fitting for a left handed version). This may sound like it would look a bit odd, but looks OK bhen stapped on and works like a charm - it balances perfectly and is very comfy to play. If you like I can posts some pics.[/quote]
Could you post some pics? I kind of get what you mean but I don't want to be screwing things into my bass without being 100% certain!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='210207' date='May 31 2008, 06:21 PM']A good quality, thick leather strap with a suede underside always makes a big difference. It grips to my naked sweaty flesh quite nicely.

....and Sophie, I here you enjoyed "Killers"????[/quote]
Yep... Brilliant film :huh:

Rog' seems to think there's some deep underlying message, but I'm not at all convinced :)

[quote name='s0fa' post='210522' date='Jun 1 2008, 02:21 PM']Could you post some pics? I kind of get what you mean but I don't want to be screwing things into my bass without being 100% certain![/quote]
Here you are Sophie. Pics of my daughter's slightly mojoed (chipped & dented) Purple heartbreaker bass with matching suede-backed leather strap. The modification with the extra strap button puts it into a perfectly balanced playing position.
[attachment=9235:daisyrock_heart1.JPG]
[attachment=9236:daisyrock_heart2.JPG]
I hope this helps.

I can't really post any pics of the bass in action as its not really the done thing to post pics of my kids and I'm not sure I'd want a pic of myself playing such a girly bass in the public domain (unless I borrow it for my upcoming gig in Brighton :) )

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='PauBass' post='210151' date='May 31 2008, 03:22 PM']Hey, can you tell me the brand of the strap you are using? I'm having some trouble with my Fender P bass and can't find the right strap that helps with the neck diving.

Thanks![/quote]

the strap i'm using is handmade - my old guitarist had a few of them made up by some local leathercraft sort of place.

cheers

c