Why become a member? ×

Oh dear - BBC selective history again?

Jazzneck

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1367219212' post='2062568']
Morning all - no problems musically, personally, etc. other than it seems to me that Auntie, yet again, selects and reports to its target audience a tale with limited information and not the full story.
That's all........
[/quote]
I think you'll find the answer to this will all come clear to you if you imagine for 5 mins that you're a BBC journalist in the Newsbeat dept and you're watching Ms Sande's sats.
You see here numbers are going down this week, next week it could be too late. Sande will be out of the top 30 and it's old hat. (Assumed, I can't be arsed to look)
You're thinking "there HAS to be a stroy here somewhere? Then I can get my name on the website."
So you look at it all in anyway you can to find how she's broken some record or other so you can get your name on the Web. I think you'll find this is what Adina Campbell has done and this is what we pay her to do... Money wasted? Quite possibly.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1367235751' post='2062862']
...I can't stand reality shows, 'talent' shows, period drama and soaps. Unfortunately it doesn't stop them being popular with the ovisites, meaning my telly is full of cr*p most of the time. But hey, big shrug, there's still BBC4, the Internet, my album collection, and Real Life[sup]TM[/sup] :)
[/quote]

My telly is full of crap most of the time too, mainly due to the current mrs discreet. In any case, I... [i]ovisites?? [/i]Hunh? :huh:[size=4] [/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1367234657' post='2062835']
One of the reasons the Beatles did so well was the pop music of the time was mostly dull and awful, and by comparison, they were a bit good.
[/quote]
That is your opinion.I wouldn`t imagine any band that started within the last 5 years would still be able to pack out a stadium tour 50 years later.The quality of the musicianship was a lot higher, and competition fiercer

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1367236081' post='2062876']
That is your opinion.I wouldn`t imagine any band that started within the last 5 years would still be able to pack out a stadium tour 50 years later.The quality of the musicianship was a lot higher, and competition fiercer
[/quote]

Also, you couldn't just go to a producer and order a piece of programmed music - it had to be played by musicians on real instruments then recorded properly... I remember the day, jumpers for goalposts, not like now, the good old days, you could leave your front door unlocked, standards were different, these new five pence pieces are too fiddly, wibble, gurgle *starts babbling and dribbling* :crazy: Where's my cocoa?

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1367236081' post='2062876']
[/quote]

You just wait for that JLS reunion in 2063, I'm booking my tickets now....

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1367234657' post='2062835']
One of the reasons the Beatles did so well was the pop music of the time was mostly dull and awful, and by comparison, they were a bit good.
[/quote]

True. They stood out like the proverbial stone in a pile of wood.

That there may be no-one today of comparable eminence and visibility may be simply because there are crillions of artistes all making slightly better than average (but not inspiring) music across a range of discrete markets. Bigger piles of wood scattered all over the place, while we wait for the New Messiahs who will never arrive.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1367236558' post='2062891']
You just wait for that JLS reunion in 2063, I'm booking my tickets now....
[/quote]
Yeah... just like the Beach Boys 50th Anniversary. So they re-unite to do this? Isn't this like me and the Ex-Mrs G getting back together in another 26 years to celebrate our 50th of being not-together?

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1367223453' post='2062624']
Or the Beeb stops reporting on daft subjects?
[/quote]

Who will be the arbiter of daftness?

Can't see the problem. The BBC has reported that a number for a certain arbitrary event which is recorded in a book has been surpassed by another number for that same event. I suspect you won't find details of the 5000m world record holder's inside leg in the Guinness Book of Records, though it might well have some influence on said world record.

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1367269514' post='2063599']
Yep - I can vividly remember my dad bleating about David Bowie on Top of the pops back in the early 70's - "who's this joker? I'm telling ya, in 6 months he'll have faded away and no one will know him. Not like the bands in the 60s".......er dad..... :lol:
[/quote]

I remember my Dad's reaction to the Stones when they first appeared on telly... 'Bloody poofs! They need a haircut and a bloody good wash! Five years in the army would do 'em good! Look at 'em! Bloody drug addicts, the lot of 'em!! Never done a day's work in their lives!!' And so on and so forth. :lol:

Mind you, he was right about them never doing a day's work. And the drugs. :D