Why become a member? ×

Feeling bad? - read this ;-)

David Nimrod

It all starts at 08-30 Weds morning, I decide to be a giood husband and collect the half a dozen or so coffee mugs from around the house, I walk to the top of the stairs to go down to the kitchen. Obviously I blanked out, fell down the stairs, coffee all up the walls, I'm winded, but ok (I think...) Get up, numb right foot... 5 out of 6 of the mugs have broken in the fall, one of them has sliced my little toe three quarters of the way around its base, down to the bone. [Top Ten hit], I get in the bath, it's not bleeding much, but I reckon I need medical help... so I drive to the 'NHS Walk in Centre' who take one look and send me to A&E. After an X ray they say I have an open fracture, and to do the necessary stiches they have to inject anasthetic into the open wound... It *did* hurt! The nurse doing the sutures then pipes up that I'm his first ever suture patient... dunno who was more worried, him or me. Now I can't walk, I'm on goddam anti-biotics, which I hate (open fracture, see), I'm off work and I have to wear *sandals*!!! How does the song go? Oh yeah, 'things can only get better' - hmmmm....

That'll teach you for trying to tidy up.

Unlucky mate, hope it heals fast. As long as the trainee bloke didn't sew your toes together then it should be right as rain. I had to wear sandals when I had an ingrown toenail, it was probably the worst part. For school I wore a slipper with the front cut off. Looked a right knobbler.

Ouch. I feel for you but it may make you feel better to know it could have been worse...

A friend did something similar a few years ago but on breaking his fall he severed a whole bunch of nerves in his fretting hand!

They will never properly grow back, plays havoc with your technique.

You're right - thinking about it, it could've been *much* worse...

Broken crockery is razor sharp, a cut artery or tendon ;-(

I don't even want to think about it... infront of the kids too.

Anyway, sincere thanks for the good wishes - cheered me up no end!

[quote name='guitarnbass' post='22026' date='Jun 22 2007, 05:41 PM']could have been worse, could have got MRSA at A&E[/quote]

That's exactly what was on my mind pretty much the whole time I was there.

I kept a *very* close eye on the procedures. Still worried though...

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='22031' date='Jun 22 2007, 05:44 PM']That's exactly what was on my mind pretty much the whole time I was there.

I kept a *very* close eye on the procedures. Still worried though...[/quote]

You should be, the only 2 times I was in hospital over here I got MRSA, can you believe that?... Shifted it thank god but jesus, I heard of people losing limbs and even dying. Scary stuff..

Edited by guitarnbass

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='22048' date='Jun 22 2007, 06:14 PM']Obviously I blanked out
David - any idea why? Horrible thing to happen anyway, but just passing out like that would worry me more than the result.[/quote]

I didn't pass out, more like didn't pay attention to the job in hand...

Only been in the house a few weeks, and not used to steep Victiorian staircases.

[quote name='chardbass' post='22007' date='Jun 22 2007, 05:24 PM']Get better soon.
On the plus side, you're off coffee-mug-collecting duties for the forseeable future.
Unless this was an over-elaborate ploy??[/quote]

That thought did cross my mind too...I'd have to admire the commitment levels if that was the case!

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='22003' date='Jun 22 2007, 05:20 PM']I'm off work and I have to wear *sandals*!!![/quote]

That's terrible - you could be emotionally scarred for life. If you wear black sandals and paint your feet black you just might get away with it :)

Hamster

seems you were very lucky indeed, i've nearly done the same thing a couple of times recently just caught myself in time though, and yeah broken cups are very sharp the missus dropped one in our kitchen and one of the bits flew off and embedded itself in my shin, nice.
trying not to think about the injections, urgh!

hope it fixes quick