Why become a member? ×

Do many bass players play in the classical position when sitting down?

Max Dread

Hi there

Just curious to hear whether many players play in classical position when seated (guitar on left knee if right handed)? I'm interested to hear both about forum members and famous players.

I see Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse plays like that. But I cannot recall any others off the top of my head....

Cheers

Max

Gary Willis plays that way a lot when seated. It fits his picking style and puts his right hand in the right place. I've tried this too. It is easier and more comfortable with some basses than others for me.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFcDGR9q85I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFcDGR9q85I[/url]

When seated, I play with it on my left knee because I have a problem with my right shoulder and this position lowers the angle of my arm and shoulder, I'd have to stand up otherwise because it becomes unbearable after a short while. I also find this position more comfortable when playing from near the bridge end of things and when playing fretless because you can tip the neck up a wee bit and be more accurate with your fingering

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1366554374' post='2053897']
No..my strap is short and the bass always hangs in the same position...which is the whole point of the strap, IMO.
[/quote]

I have adopted this too since seeing a video on Scott's Bass Lesson's - one of those lightbulb moments. At the same time I switched to a floating thumb / curved fingers right-hand approach, keeping the the right wrist straight rather than sharply angled over the top of the bass. Took some getting used to but feels completely natural now.

I can't see how a classical position when seated would be of benefit - the whole thing becomes irrelevant when you stand up.