Why become a member? ×

New Bass Rig Suggestions?

Grubbs

Yo!

So yeah... I've got £750 to spend on a new bass rig and Im pretty lost on what to get. Thought it would be pretty awesome if I could get a couple of recommendations.

So far I know I want either a 112 or 210 cabinet and a head that doesn't change the tone of my bass too much, something thats portable and loud enough to play shows with would be nice.

Let me know if you have any suggestions :)

Thanks,

Gabe.

ive fallen in love with my terror bass but that def changes the sound of the bass!

but might be worth trying to grab a markbass lm2/3 should be able to grab one on here for around 350ish there really good heads nice and powerfull for there 300w at 8 ohms and then put the rest towards a cab? or try and get a 112 markbass combo?

andy

MarkBass Little Mark's are a very good suggestion. As are Genz Benz Shuttles (for a slightly brighter, more "modern" tone). Also, don't discount the Gallien Krueger MB500, for a more upper mids-prominent clean tone also.
Cabs - go used if you can. The GK neo range are excellent and very good value. With cabs you'll pay a huge premium for lightness. So, a good, but heavy cab will cost you peanuts. But a quality but very light cab will cost you the Earth.
It would be useful to know what type of sounds you were looking for.

Edited by hamfist

Thanks guys, Ill definitely go and check out some Markbass amps. I play mainly Funk, Rock, Jazz and Groove music at University but Im also in an Indie/Alternative band back at home. I played a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Gallien Krueger combo once when recording and really liked it so Ill look into them too![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I guess an amp that would sound the part for Funk/Groove or Indie/Rock music would make me happy haha.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks for the suggestions, much [/font][/color]appreciated[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]![/color][/font]

[quote name='Grubbs' timestamp='1366407576' post='2052369']
....a head that doesn't change the tone of my bass too much, something thats portable and loud enough to play shows with would be nice....
[/quote]

What is you current bass and rig?

What sort of gigs are you playing at the moment?

[quote name='Grubbs' timestamp='1366449617' post='2052695']
Thanks guys, Ill definitely go and check out some Markbass amps. I play mainly Funk, Rock, Jazz and Groove music at University but Im also in an Indie/Alternative band back at home. I played a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Gallien Krueger combo once when recording and really liked it so Ill look into them too![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I guess an amp that would sound the part for Funk/Groove or Indie/Rock music would make me happy haha.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks for the suggestions, much [/font][/color]appreciated[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]![/color][/font]
[/quote]

Well GK have their own "sound", and it would seem that you have certainly liked that in the past. So definitely worth checking out the GK MB line of amps, and the GK neo cabs. I would strongly recommend getting the neo range over the MBE cabs. THe neo range cabs are built to a much higher standard.
An MB500 into an 8ohm GK neo 2x12 would be a solid and potentially loud rig, with the potential to get even louder if you thought you needed it with a 2nd cab at some point (to make use of the full 500W at 4 ohms).

The Markbass stuff is still excellent, but will be inherently rather more mellow in tone than a GK MB/neo rig. One brand is not better, just different.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1366462737' post='2052892']
Well GK have their own "sound", and it would seem that you have certainly liked that in the past. So definitely worth checking out the GK MB line of amps, and the GK neo cabs. I would strongly recommend getting the neo range over the MBE cabs. THe neo range cabs are built to a much higher standard.
An MB500 into an 8ohm GK neo 2x12 would be a solid and potentially loud rig, with the potential to get even louder if you thought you needed it with a 2nd cab at some point (to make use of the full 500W at 4 ohms).

The Markbass stuff is still excellent, but will be inherently rather more mellow in tone than a GK MB/neo rig. One brand is not better, just different.
[/quote]

Thanks for that! Think Im going to go and try either a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MB500 or Fusion and a Neo 1x12. Having a 2x12 would be awesome but I can't really afford it, but like you said I could always add another cab later on![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cheers[/font][/color]

Edited by Grubbs