Why become a member? ×

Change of pitch

gypsyjazzer

Years ago I recorded my own backing tracks on a Fostex[b] Cassette[/b] multi-track recorder. Unknown to me at the time and after mixdown to a CD, the tape was running about a half a tone flat.

My question is: Can the results on the CD be transfered to a CD to the correct pitch---440.?
If so,who would I get in touch with?

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1366383793' post='2051927']
Was the tape running slowly?

It may be possible to load the tracks into a DAW and speed them up and increase the pitch accordingly, perhaps by running it through a tape sim plugin.
[/quote]

This

reaper in fact lets you change the pitch to a half a tone up or down or you can adjust manually

i imagine audacity etc will do the same

Down load Reaper, and use it free for this task.[Very small download]
If you get on with it, it's cheap to buy. Plenty of Youtube videos showing what you want, for your purpose.
The pitching and time stretching is pretty accurate, and if you are not going very far % wise either side of A440 [as in your case]
You will more than likely not hear the difference.
[Of course most DAW's do this with ease thesedays]

[url="http://www.reaper.fm/download.php"]http://www.reaper.fm/download.php[/url]

Garry

Ideally you don't want to pitch convert or time stretch because that will result in a loss of quality.

Because the audio is at the wrong pitch because the analogue tape was played at the wrong speed, you really want to do the same in reverse to the digital file by playing the same data at a slightly faster sample rate.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1366456482' post='2052806']
Ideally you don't want to pitch convert or time stretch because that will result in a loss of quality.

Because the audio is at the wrong pitch because the analogue tape was played at the wrong speed, you really want to do the same in reverse to the digital file by playing the same data at a slightly faster sample rate.
[/quote]

Reaper offers this with a soooo simple click , one click , to speed it up a touch , this will raise the pitch , adjust the speed to get the correct pitch. I used this trick for a vocal , I sped it up to deliberatly raise the pitch and because I couldnt vocalise quick enough with any clarity