Why become a member? ×

What would you pay for the right bass/tone?

i love the feel of fresh strings though, i can play faster with freshens on :). My bass sounds alright with 'old' strings on but you can't beat the feel and tone of fresh strings IMO

£15 5 or 6 times a year doesn’t really break the bank. I only do this on my main bass though and all the others get the boiled up 'old' strings.

Down to experience i would pay what ever it cost to get my perfect set up. For example i bought a brand new Ampeg SVT4 pro around christmas time for just over a grand. I had the choice to buy a cheaper head (less than half) but i would have regretted not buying the ampeg because it was love at first sight. The other head would have been cheaper but a waste of money so i would have ended up spending more in the long run.

So my answer would be; I would pay what ever it costs to get my perfect set up, even if it meant i had to save up and sell some bits.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='208836' date='May 29 2008, 01:39 PM']I'd say that if you can afford it and you love the tone/sound of a rig/bass then just go for it, it's only money at the end of the day - it comes and goes. The "perfect" setup is priceless IMO so if you ever find it then you should deffo just go for it and sod the cash.[/quote]

Word.

I think a grand for a bass is about my limit. I've wanted a Wal for nearly 20 years but I know I'll never buy one, doesn't matter how good they are.

I always buy used basses, and I think you can get pretty much anything for under a grand if you don't start looking at vintage instruments or boutique gazillion-string basses made out of sections of The True Cross and polished by beeswax-breasted virgins.

[quote name='BassBalls' post='208876' date='May 29 2008, 02:05 PM']Down to experience i would pay what ever it cost to get my perfect set up. For example i bought a brand new Ampeg SVT4 pro around christmas time for just over a grand. I had the choice to buy a cheaper head (less than half) but i would have regretted not buying the ampeg because it was love at first sight. The other head would have been cheaper but a waste of money so i would have ended up spending more in the long run.

So my answer would be; I would pay what ever it costs to get my perfect set up, even if it meant i had to save up and sell some bits.[/quote]

+1. whatever's necessary to get 'my' sound.

[quote name='BassBalls' post='208876' date='May 29 2008, 02:05 PM']Down to experience i would pay what ever it cost to get my perfect set up. For example i bought a brand new Ampeg SVT4 pro around christmas time for just over a grand. I had the choice to buy a cheaper head (less than half) but i would have regretted not buying the ampeg because it was love at first sight. The other head would have been cheaper but a waste of money so i would have ended up spending more in the long run.

So my answer would be; I would pay what ever it costs to get my perfect set up, even if it meant i had to save up and sell some bits.[/quote]

-1. For me, if the perfect setup was £10,000 and the 99% perfect setup was £1000, I'd spend the 9 grand on beer.

I've been lucky enough to have had the cash to buy some very nice basses at various times (Tobias, Sei, Bassline, Gibson, Overwater, Modulus, Status, Yamaha, Warwick) and I've always found that "the perfect bass" can become "the not so perfect bass" quite easily. One has remarkable adjustment of tone, but not quite the right core tone, another the core tone, but only the core tone.

I've recently been discovering the joys of good ol' Leo's designs with modern versions of the Precision and Jazz (the latter arrived today!). When playing alone at home they may appear a bit harsh and difficult to control, but in a live band situation they are wonderful. They find a place in the ensemble sound to stand out, and as an early designer Fender really did have a genius for design of an aesthetic instrument which could be mass produced effectively. I've now got 7 basses and feel very guilty - why does Keith Richards have 3,000 guitars?

I'm not sure about taking out a mortgage on a "classic" early Fender that has been heavily used and repaired. I find it difficult to understand that the sound of that particular wood is so good. I've spent £600 - £700 on each of these basses (U.S.A. made) second hand and think I've got a good representation of the Fender sound.

That's not to say that I won't keep a Status and a Modulus and a Warwick to hand!

I change strings about every three months - more frequently would be too expensive and I don't play publicly often enough to justify more. Strings seem perfect to me about three weeks in and then slowly lose their "tang". Free strings for life, that's a competition I would enter!

[quote name='NAS' post='212139' date='Jun 3 2008, 10:11 PM']I've spent £600 - £700 on each of these basses (U.S.A. made) second hand and think I've got a good representation of the Fender sound.[/quote]

That's my realistic limit I think. I said a grand, which is what I think my limit is, but I would crap my pants if I actually spent a grand on a bass - I've never spent more than £700 in 18 years of bass playing so I think it's reasonable to assume that that's my limit. :)

I do need another one though. Or two. :huh:

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='208789' date='May 29 2008, 12:51 PM']Wow, were they new?! It's stuff like this that makes me doubt I'll ever buy a "high-end" bass, unless I become a lot richer somehow[/quote]
Not trying to start a war, but you have 8 basses, and you are a student. Any particular reason? Why not get one better specced bass?

The most I have ever had was 3 - standard 4, f'less 4 and 8 string - but the last two despite being my first two "proper" basses went because they just never got used and were a pain to drag round to use on perhaps one number a night.

Then the 4 (an Aria SB100 if I remember rightly) went when the Wal Pro1 came into my old drummers shop on a trade and I had it, but for substantially less than current going rate for Wal's. Had some work done on it about 10 years ago to make it active and that was my one and only bass up until last summer when I finally joined here & got GASsy.

I looked around for another bass a few years back and tried all sorts of stuff out up to about £500 and with the exception of a Squier Jazz they all sounded horrible, tight compressed & clanky tone. Only the Jazz had a really nice well rounded sound.

I would love a Wal 5, but unless my numbers come up I cannot ever see me justifying the sort of outlay required.

I will admit to a great deal of envy of those who have an arsenal of basses to chose from, and who spec up custom jobbies, but I suppose my rambling point is that it is quite possible to find [i]the[/i] bass for a reasonable sum. I have my old Wal (which is semi retired at the moment) and the G&L L2500 that I absolutely love for its sound. I might lust after other basses, high end and otherwise, but in the real world could not justify more than £6-700 and would be as happy to find a lesser priced instrument that did the job.

Pleased excuse the ramblings of an old f@rt who has probably strayed as far off the topic as you will have lost the will to live if you got this far :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='212034' date='Jun 3 2008, 08:01 PM']or boutique gazillion-string basses made out of sections of The True Cross and polished by beeswax-breasted virgins.[/quote]
Damn, just bought one of those.......
How much would you spend on a car? How much does that car depreciate compared to a bass? How much more pleasure do you get from playing your bass?
I've always bought (1) the best bass gear and (2) the best coffee I could afford, even if that was once a Columbus Jazz copy and Co-op instant. Mind you, the "budget" bass gear is so very, very much better than it used to be - just bought a second-hand Squier MB-4 for my son for £50, and in terms of sound and playability it's only marginally inferior to my MusicMan. I'm still after a Wal, mind......

[quote name='Shaggy' post='212221' date='Jun 4 2008, 12:03 AM']Damn, just bought one of those.......
How much would you spend on a car? How much does that car depreciate compared to a bass? How much more pleasure do you get from playing your bass?[/quote]

How much do cars cost? Could I get a car for £6-700 that would be practical? If I could, I'd probably buy it.

I just don't find I need to spend any more than £6-700 on a bass, judging from experience. I also wouldn't be too comfortable with taking a £3000+ bass out to a gig, so there'd be no point in me having one.

[quote name='WalMan' post='212195' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:27 PM']Not trying to start a war, but you have 8 basses, and you are a student. Any particular reason? Why not get one better specced bass?

The most I have ever had was 3 - standard 4, f'less 4 and 8 string - but the last two despite being my first two "proper" basses went because they just never got used and were a pain to drag round to use on perhaps one number a night.[/quote]
They're all very different (as stated in my sig) :huh: If I get the opportunity to join a band where I'd use my 7-string or my 5-string acoustic (probably not the same band :)), I'll be glad I've not sold them to pay for a Shuker custom 5 or whatever - after just 3 and a half years of playing, I don't feel that my style is defined sufficiently that I can justify spending loads on just one bass! I need versatility coz I like to play all sorts of different basses - maybe when I'm in a band that actually makes money I'll invest in a bass that suits me better... but I'll still want these other ones around for fun! After all, fun is what this is all about (for me, at least; even though I'd love to play bass for a living, I've yet to see a penny return on my investment of time, money and love - oh well!)

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='212246' date='Jun 4 2008, 01:41 AM']They're all very different (as stated in my sig) :huh: If I get the opportunity to join a band where I'd use my 7-string or my 5-string acoustic (probably not the same band :huh:), I'll be glad I've not sold them to pay for a Shuker custom 5 or whatever - after just 3 and a half years of playing, I don't feel that my style is defined sufficiently that I can justify spending loads on just one bass! I need versatility coz I like to play all sorts of different basses - maybe when I'm in a band that actually makes money I'll invest in a bass that suits me better... but I'll still want these other ones around for fun! After all, fun is what this is all about (for me, at least; even though I'd love to play bass for a living, I've yet to see a penny return on my investment of time, money and love - oh well!)[/quote]
Fair enough :)

Its all a bit self indulgent. No one else cares or notices.

There's nothing wrong in self indulgence though. Just dont expect others to appreciate your tone like you do.

Rehearsing on friday, my band couldn't even notice when I was playing through a tube overdrive pedal with the gain cranked up and when I was playing without it.

Most of the time, the tone is for your benefit and not others.

Edited by BigBeefChief

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='212325' date='Jun 4 2008, 09:48 AM']Most of the time, the tone is for your benefit and not others.[/quote]
:)

I bid 2k on this [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9886&hl=carl+thompson"]Carl Thompson with Wal electrics[/url] before me router packed in and I lost out though. Never before or since have I contemplated such a thing and now I've even had to let the season ticket go, so I add 2nd hand effects - it's far cheaper!

Edited by johnnylager

To me its all about 'spare' cash that I have which determines how much I would spend.

If I won £10 million on the lottery I would have no problem paying £30K for a 1960 stack knob jazz but at the moment thats unattainable.

On the other hand if I lost my reasonably well paid job and/or my band stopped earning I would have to tighten down the hatches.

I could have a much more expensive car than the one I have but I prefer to spend my money on gear. I dont have expensive holidays etc. Since Octiber last year I haven't drank and stopped smoking and doing drugs years ago.

Its all about personal priorities and preferences in my opinion. Buy what you can reasonably afford based on how important playing is in your life.

Steve

Edited by birdy

Hmmm... I only feel happy when I have graphite necked Status on the fleet. (Make that three of them at the moment!) Now I am a professional player, so I guess I see them as tools of my trade. If I ever found anything significantly better than a Status, that I really liked playing, then maybe I would go higher in price, but for now £1900 per instrument is enough to be going on with! It really doesn't help when your bandmates comment and it's always either the S2-Classic or the KingBass they like the sound of best!

There are some rules of thumb here (assuming that you are in it for the long haul and intend to play / record for an audience):

1. Scrimp and save to get what you want rather than what you can afford – it’s cheaper in the long run! If you buy a bass that you don’t want you will get sick of it quickly and end up getting what you wanted and having to off load your cheap bass at a loss
2. Buy second hand rather than new, preferably privately – eBay and forums like this are great! My main gigging bass is a Warwick Stage 1 that I bought (in mint condition) for £435 off eBay
3. If you do go to a shop make sure that you look around and don’t be afraid to haggle – the phrase “what’s your best price?” has saved me hundreds of pounds!
4. Despite what I said in point 1, you need to have some sense of reality – I’ve played a £6k Fodera, nice bass but is it really that much better is that than a Warwick/Status or whatever?
5. Similarly, do you really need 5 basses or 2 good ones for gigging and a better amp?
6. And, yes the audience may not care what gear you use but they can tell the difference between a something that sounds good and what sounds crap, even if only sub-consciously!

I reckon about £2.5K is my limit but I'm an old git with a very low mortgage and decent disposable income :)

Most I've spent is £1,300 and I've done that twice. One of the basses is still worth around that amount, the other is probably about half.

I have my eyes on something at the moment that's over £1,500 but keep thinking about getting Martin Petersen to custom build something which I just know is going to break the £2K barrier.

I've always believed in the "buy the best you can afford" maxim - when I was a teenager it was a Fender Musicmaster, now it's a custom Modulus. Maybe when I get to be even older it'll be a Musicmaster again (although the 70's ones are crazy prices these days!). I've had great fun with just about every bass I've owned and the cost of them hasn't really been the issue for me.