Why become a member? ×

Twisted Necks...how serious and is it repairable?

Greetings

I have spotted myself a MM Sterling on EBay in need of some repair and TLC and I wanna get it as my first project. It was listed as having a few minor wiring faults, in need of a respray and the fretboard needs to be reglued other than that in a playable state just not the prettiest bass ever. However, he has added, as of yesterday, that the neck is twisted...is this repairable and if not where can I get hold of a MM neck, preferabley sterling type neck?

Cheers in advance!

Will

From what I've read the only way to fix it - if it's slight enough - is to remove the frets & plane the board flat, re-shape it & then refret it.

I've heard about necks being clamped straight & then heated, don't know if that would work.

Jon.

I would stay away from any bass with a twisted neck, unless you're planning to replace it. AFAIK Ernie Ball will sell you a replacement neck if you send them the knackered one, not sure if you can get any third-party necks for a Sterling but if a Stingray neck will fit it you could get a graphite replacement from [url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/frames/frame1.htm"]Status[/url] for £300.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='208574' date='May 29 2008, 01:53 AM']I would stay away from any bass with a twisted neck, unless you're planning to replace it. AFAIK Ernie Ball will sell you a replacement neck if you send them the knackered one, not sure if you can get any third-party necks for a Sterling but [b]if a Stingray neck will fit it[/b] you could get a graphite replacement from [url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/frames/frame1.htm"]Status[/url] for £300.[/quote]
Stingray necks are 6 bolt, sterling necks are 5 bolt, not sure about the measurements or anything though, but i doubt it will fit, the sterling is well known for having a thinner neck than the ray, but i don't know if that's just at the nut or what.

It depends on the amount of twist, and in which direction. The usual cure is (as Bassassin mentioned) to remove the frets and plane the fingerboard but with any decent luthier that's going to be £200 upwards. If the neck has a big twist you'd be better off asking Ernie Ball for a replacement Sterling neck (Stingray neck is to wide to fit the Sterling's neck pocket), or get a luthier to make one. Adjusting the truss rod in the other direction a few turns or wrenching the neck are best left to someone that will pay out if the neck gets knackered :)

Hang on... the fingerboard is coming away, the neck is twisted, the headstock is smashed in two places right where the tuners are, the pup is sh*gged, it has non-standard switch and the body is hand finished! It is a basket case :)

'IF' you wanted to do this up properly with a new neck (a must have), pick-up, refinish etc you'd be looking at more than the cost of a decent/tidy used example. Seriously, unless you have those parts sitting about spare in the house don't bother!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='208606' date='May 29 2008, 08:25 AM']....Hang on... the fingerboard is coming away, the neck is twisted, the headstock is smashed in two places right where the tuners are, the pup is sh*gged, it has non-standard switch and the body is hand finished!....[/quote]
If this is your first project don't let your enthusiasm rule your head. This thing sounds like it may not be fixable without overspending. In my opinion you should be leaving it well alone.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='208606' date='May 29 2008, 08:25 AM']Hang on... the fingerboard is coming away, the neck is twisted, the headstock is smashed in two places right where the tuners are, the pup is sh*gged, it has non-standard switch and the body is hand finished! It is a basket case :)

'IF' you wanted to do this up properly with a new neck (a must have), pick-up, refinish etc you'd be looking at more than the cost of a decent/tidy used example. Seriously, unless you have those parts sitting about spare in the house don't bother![/quote]

+1

tbf unles you are gettin the bass free or a tenner or something, there is absolutly no point

I'd leave well alone too.

projects are all well and good for fun - but that's not gonna be fun!

regarding a twisted neck. I have a neck that had a really bad bow in it. A friend of mine took it away and built a jig and submerged the neck in the jig in his bath for 3 days. That did the trick.