Why become a member? ×

What to do when things are seemingly impossible

timmo

If you're thinking of giving up, do it now and save yourself a lot of trouble. Learning an instrument should be about discovery, growth and enjoyment. You will get as good as your ability will take you. If you aren't experiencing those things, it's not for you. If you are, you don't need to be encouraged by anyone else but yourself.

Edited by Lowender

Learn to play and understand the C Major scale - It's the first and most important key (sorry, unavoidable pun) to breaking the code of music. It's the centre of the musical universe.[url="http://www.jazzguitar.be/music-theory.html"] C Major scale[/url]

Don't forget to have some fun while learning, picking out the bass line to your favourite songs, playing tunes from your head etc

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1366104782' post='2048262']
Learn to play and understand the C Major scale - It's the first and most important key (sorry, unavoidable pun) to breaking the code of music. It's the centre of the musical universe.[url="http://www.jazzguitar.be/music-theory.html"] C Major scale[/url]

Don't forget to have some fun while learning, picking out the bass line to your favourite songs, playing tunes from your head etc
[/quote]
And C's relative Minor scale A. Same notes, starting from the sixth note of the major scale.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1366103352' post='2048249']
If you're thinking of giving up, do it now and save yourself a lot of trouble. Learning an instrument should be about discovery, growth and enjoyment. You will get as good as your ability will take you. If you aren't experiencing those things, it's not for you. If you are, you don't need to be encouraged by anyone else but yourself.
[/quote]

IMO, the OP is a little overwhelmed by the amount of musical knowledge to be "discovered". This is a natural reaction, when you are full of enthusiasm. You get frustrated and disillusioned when progress is not happening fast enough. A little encouragement from people who have been there and did that, is quite natural to seek out.

The only reason he is talking about giving up, is because he is trying [b]too [/b]hard. People here, are merely trying to get him to adopt a different approach and mental attitude.

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1366103352' post='2048249']
[/quote]

I'm sorry but this is a load of cack. It's very irresponsible too. People need encouragement and reassurance, not this ill-advised depressing drivel.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1366107363' post='2048288']
IMO, the OP is a little overwhelmed by the amount of musical knowledge to be "discovered". This is a natural reaction, when you are full of enthusiasm. You get frustrated and disillusioned when progress is not happening fast enough. A little encouragement from people who have been there and did that, is quite natural to seek out.

The only reason he is talking about giving up, is because he is trying [b]too [/b]hard. People here, are merely trying to get him to adopt a different approach and mental attitude.
[/quote]

I disagree completely. When starting an instrument you should be filled with wonder and joy and passion for what you're doing. The reason it's best to start an instrument isn't because you learn faster when you're young. You actually learn faster in your 30's. But when you're young you think whatever you do is amazing. And when you're young nobody can talk you out of doing it, no matter what. If that isn't there, no amount of encourgement will make a difference. The OP is looking for a reason to quit. Let him.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1366107971' post='2048298']
I'm sorry but this is a load of cack. It's very irresponsible too. People need encouragement and reassurance, not this ill-advised depressing drivel.
[/quote]

Sorry but it's your post that's drivel. I made a valid point. Perhaps you just don't understand it.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1366108052' post='2048301']
I disagree completely. When starting an instrument you should be filled with wonder and joy and passion for what you're doing. The reason it's best to start an instrument isn't because you learn faster when you're young. You actually learn faster in your 30's. But when you're young you think whatever you do is amazing. And when you're young nobody can talk you out of doing it, no matter what. If that isn't there, no amount of encourgement will make a difference. The OP is looking for a reason to quit. Let him.
[/quote]

IMO, this is a very negative attitude (unless you are trolling). The OP obviously has a passion, otherwise he would not be trying so hard. It is possible to have a passion no matter what age you are. You are making a lot of very general statements regarding any young person's attitude to learning. Everyone is different regardless of age. A little encouragement never hurt anybody, where as negativity can. The OP has said that he will take the advice given so far, on board. Is this not a sign that he is interested ?

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1366108104' post='2048302']
Sorry but it's your post that's drivel. I made a valid point. Perhaps you just don't understand it.
[/quote]

I understand perfectly thank you. Unbridled joy and passion when learning an instrument is your pipe dream, it is not reality. Throughout any decent musician's life frustration, plateaux, and failure to understand meaning and purpose of teaching will be (or should be) a regular feature.

Advising someone to abandon their new found instrument because their feelings do not match your theoretical posturing is totally ignorant and irresponsible. People like you seem to be happy to make your pronouncements without realising the effect they can have on people. You really ought to bone up on your subject matter before makeing these ridiculous misleading statements.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1366107971' post='2048298']...People need encouragement and reassurance...[/quote]

It would be unfortunate to derail this interesting thread, but this whole subject (how to motivate, learning curves, stimulation, telling it like it is...) deserves perhaps it's own thread. There is a lot to say, and many (apparently different...) points of view. Can we take this up elsewhere, maybe..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1366108782' post='2048313']
It would be unfortunate to derail this interesting thread, but this whole subject (how to motivate, learning curves, stimulation, telling it like it is...) deserves perhaps it's own thread. There is a lot to say, and many (apparently different...) points of view. Can we take this up elsewhere, maybe..?
[/quote]
Fair comment, probably needs its own forum actually :)

As a relative beginner myself I find the amount of info available these days can be counter productive, you search the web and after a short time it's complete overload and it can be hard to know where to start! For me taking small steps with theory has been better than attempting huge leaps and sticking to a single learning resource rather that jumping all over the web has helped too.
Also for me learning a few songs to play along to each day after theory/scale practice helps keep the confidence and enthusiasm up. Learning the 12 bar blues was also a massive help, opened up a whole new world to me!

Sounds like your busting your balls with the theory side of things.
Learn a couple of easy songs (thousands and thousands of 3 chord wonders out there) then you will feel some sort of achievement and the rest will follow.
I've never had a lesson in my life (probably why i'm still shyte!) and 90% of what you said about pentatonics and scales mean screw all to me, so with your 4 weeks you probably know more than me already :D

At 4 weeks all of this is a natural feeling. You're trying to learn everything at once and too quickly for it to properly sink in.

I think you need to take a step back for a second and separate your learning of 'playing' and your learning of 'theory'.

IMO all you should be thinking about right now in terms of theory on the bass is a) where the notes are on the fretboard (and i mean really knowing them) and b ) knowing where these notes are on the stave.

With the theory, start at the beginning with theory books, a pencil and some manuscript paper. Work through it and learn it as theory.

As you progress through your lessons things will start falling into place and making sense. Things that didn't make sense in the book before now makes perfect sense on the bass.
By trying to do everything applied so early on you are going to get yourself in a rut trying to make everything perfect first time and get yourself frustrated.

Also, your tutor seems to be having you learning the 'proper' way in learning your theory, technique & reading/writing music. Please stay on this course and don't be tempted to stray onto the web looking for tabs. They will only hinder your progress, you are in the perfect state right now as learning to read music when learning to play is the best & easiest way.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1366114902' post='2048439']
At 4 weeks all of this is a natural feeling. You're trying to learn everything at once and too quickly for it to properly sink in.

I think you need to take a step back for a second and separate your learning of 'playing' and your learning of 'theory'.

IMO all you should be thinking about right now in terms of theory on the bass is a) where the notes are on the fretboard (and i mean really knowing them) and b ) knowing where these notes are on the stave.

With the theory, start at the beginning with theory books, a pencil and some manuscript paper. Work through it and learn it as theory.

As you progress through your lessons things will start falling into place and making sense. Things that didn't make sense in the book before now makes perfect sense on the bass.
By trying to do everything applied so early on you are going to get yourself in a rut trying to make everything perfect first time and get yourself frustrated.

Also, your tutor seems to be having you learning the 'proper' way in learning your theory, technique & reading/writing music. Please stay on this course and don't be tempted to stray onto the web looking for tabs. They will only hinder your progress, you are in the perfect state right now as learning to read music when learning to play is the best & easiest way.
[/quote]

This all sounds good to me too.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1366078556' post='2048139']
You're playing for 4 weeks? COme back when you're playing 4 years. That's when you start to realize it's even harder.
[/quote]

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1366083700' post='2048143']
If i can`t play something like Freebird, Lynyrd Skynyrd in 4 years time, i will give up.
[/quote]

I have never really said i was giving up, but if i was still trying to learn songs which i should have a reasonable chance of playing in 4 years time, i believe there will be a good chance i will never make a Bass player. I would think i would have given it my best shot if i still am trying after 4 years.But it is a good post Lowender, as you have let me know it never really gets easy, which i think i need to know at an early stage

Edited by timmo

I have read all the posts of wisdom and encouragement, and Grangur has sent me a couple of easy bits of music i can play, so it is all good.I am working nights this week, so i have taken my bass into work to practice on my breaks, as i get 3 hours of breaks in my twelve hour shift, so the little 20 minute sessions have really helped.I have my next lesson on Friday, so i will tell him i feel i am overloaded with theory, but he assures me all the work he has given me will be well worth it.
Sometimes, i sit there, look at the work and think it is too much.But after reading your encouraging posts, i realise i could never play a note 4 weeks ago, now i can play 10 different Pentatonic Scales, 10 Arpeggio scales, and know around 12 notes.Although not everything is locked into my memory, i am taking a little more in at the end of my days practice.
Anyway, again, thanks all frt the encouraging words, and in some cases, some hard facts, which do need to be said sometimes.

We are all at different levels of beginner Timmo. The more you learn, the more you find there is to learn. There is no 'best' there is only you and your music.

Listen to lots of music, work out what you like and don't like, give what you don't like a chance, often the most interesting music has to grow on you.

To the OP. I think your problem is that you're being bombarded with too much information that seems to you to be pulling you in too many directions and you can't work out what is important to you.

IMO what to do depends on what you ultimately want to do with your bass playing. Is it for personal enjoyment sitting at home, or do you want to get out and join and band a play in public? Knowing what you want will help you focus on the things you need to know right now and then you can leave the rest until you don't feel so overwhelmed.