Why become a member? ×

A little doubt about 5 string basses and prices

matius_88

well i have this three basses to choose:

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Ibanez sr405 [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Yamaha b415 [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Ibanez btb 555

what would you recomend of this basses?

another question i want to ask is what "level" of bass are that basses (for example comparing them to squier vintage modified, classic vibe, fender mexico, fender usa i what range of price you would put them)
i will explain why i ask the last thing, in my country this basses i list used are at the same price of a classic vibe precision squier new, and i dont want to be scammed because i dont have a reference and i didnt find on the internet a reference to a list price of that basses new.

are they good for playing and recording? or are they only for start playing the bass?

thanks for all the info and sorry for all of my questions[/size][/font][/color]

Hi there, welcome aboard!!
All of the basses you've listed are good quality instruments as are the Classic vibe Fenders. Things that I have found make a big difference are:[list]
[*]Scale length: are they all 34" or are any 35". Personally I find 35" just too much.
[*]String spacing: Standard 19mm is fine on 4's but on 5's sometimes a little less 18mm or even 17.5mm may make the bass less of a handfull.
[*]Active or passive: your list contains a mix and depending on your amp some may work better.
[/list]
All the basses you list should be OK for both live and studio use in general. Good pickups and electrics should make for 'quieter' operation into a desk but not so much live. Of the three you list I'd probably go with the Yamaha (as they are so consistent and well made) or a Classic Vibe Jazz.
If you can you should definitely try them and if at all possible with your own amp.

I would personally go for the Ibanez BTB. They're a lovely bass guitar, and the scale length would be the main factor for me. Second would be the Yamaha BB. It's a great bass but not modern enough for my tastes but if traditional is your thing then go for the Yamaha.

The Ibanez 5-string probably isn't worth considering unless you're going to be putting some really heavy gauge strings on it. :)

And as far as prices, I'd like to believe that they're all similar prices, with the Ibanez BTB probably costing the most brand new. But used prices will be far lower for Ibanez's compared to Yamaha (percentage-wise).

I have the Yamaha BB415. Cost me £280 new, which is less than the CV Squiers these days! Both Yamaha and Squier prices have shot up in the last few years though.

It's a great bass and if you play rock I would choose it over the other two hands down. Those PJ pickups sound massive, and I've never liked the sound of any active dual soapbar equipped bass that I've tried. The low B is better sounding and the neck more comfortable to play than the Fender P5 and SBMM Ray35 that I've had to compare it to.

Edited by dannybuoy

I'd go with Yamaha. In fact, the BB415 is my only bass at the moment. I'm very happy with it, sound-wise and playability-wise, and I do have a decent frame of reference, having own several american Fenders in the past, several German Warwicks and more.

Prince's bassist, Ida Nielsen used BB414 as her main gigging bass for many years.