Why become a member? ×

New Amp Day - Carvin B2000

discreet

[b]New Amp Day - Carvin B2000[/b]

Yesss! Took delivery of a new amp this morning (well, it's new to me!) and here it is:

I'm hoping my long amp/tone search is finally over - this is a beast, and it sounds great. Really huge, thick, clean power and when you wind the drive on (12AX7/EC883 pre-amp valve) you get some very nice harmonic distortion and grindy sustain... nothing over-the-top or vulgar though - it's all in the best possible taste... it just sounds 'right', somehow! :D

It's currently going through my BFM J12, so I have to be a bit careful with the old master control... you can see where the master is in the pic, and even at this level it has elicited, er... a [i]response [/i]from the current mrs discreet... I have another J12 on the way too (thanks, Terry!), then I'm quite sure I'll have a very [i]audible[/i], yet relatively portable gigging rig...

The EQ is much simpler than the BX1500 and that suits me perfectly well - I've found that if I have too many knobs I'm forever twiddling them (fnarr) and this amp is all about set, forget, and concentrate on the business of playing.

Bought this from BC-er Smythe (Matt) who is a great seller - amp was well-packed and delivery was swift - he even included a couple of spare ECC83 valves - Thanks, Matt! :D

[size=4]Next up I want a Carl Martin Opto Comp, or even a spiffy rack comp (as I've got the rack space!), maybe a Rane or a dbx 160 or similar... but that'll have to wait for a bit.[/size]

Very much looking forward to gigging this! You just can't beat the good ol' U S of A when it comes to RAWK gear!!

I thank you. :)

Edited by discreet

[size=4][quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1365524433' post='2040699']That's a proper mans amp Mark :) No mamby pamby little class D's for you.
[/quote][quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1365524590' post='2040701']My back is twingeing just looking at that. :blink:[/quote][/size]
[size=4]Ah, it is big on sound, but weighs only 14lb (6.35kg) which is a considerable improvement on a previous power amp I once had which was a scrotum-shredding 50lb (23kg). So it's relatively light, in fact.[/size]

[size=4]To give you some idea, the Markbass TTE800 is 13.32lb (6kg).[/size]

Edited by discreet

Glad to see the amp is in safe hands, Mark!

It looks like powerful rig set up you have and judging by the eq and drive settings you've dialled in there - on personal experience- thats going shake a few windows out their frames. The Sub Bass setting can knock a man sick !!!

Enjoy!

Smythe (Matt)

Edited by Smythe

[quote name='Smythe' timestamp='1365529783' post='2040804']
...judging by the eq and drive settings you've dialled in there - on personal experience - that's going shake a few windows out their frames...
[/quote]

Heh - sounds very lush at this 'low' volume, but winding it up a little, I see what you mean! :o[size=4] [/size]
Those settings would be quite unsuitable at battle levels for sure! Thanks, Matt.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1365610237' post='2041792']
Not long to wait now! It's just about ready to become black.
[/quote]

Great news, Terry! Soon I'll be able to make a right old racket. :)

It has just occurred to me that THREE J12s would present a load of 3ohms, would they not..?
And the B2000 goes down to 2 ohms... :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1365629791' post='2042203']
That's my way of thinking. 4 cabs would make 2 ohms would it not.
[/quote]

That's a very naughty thought, Terry. You up for building two more?? :blink:
That would be some rig, wouldn't it?? :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1365629947' post='2042208']
That's a very naughty thought, Terry. You up for building two more?? :blink:
That would be some rig, wouldn't it?? :D
[/quote]

You might find the Brown Note with that. Who's going to clean up after tho'? :blink:[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size]

Played through the amp at rehearsal last night. It's always difficult to describe sound in words, but I'll have a go... Chunky. Robust. Solid. Bouncy. Hefty. The last amp I used which gave me this feeling was an SVT CL, back in the early 90s.

But this is no valve amp, despite the ECC83 valve on the input stage, which is coupled to the Drive control. It doesn't sound like an Ampeg, but it does have the same feeling of authority and sense of limitless low end heft coupled with lots of mid and upper-mid range bite and slam. It is confidence-inspiring, and its default sound is very pleasing indeed. It's got headroom by the shedful. It's definitely a keeper... at least until I can afford a proper all-tube amp.

Anyway, I'll post a proper review after I've gigged with it. But in brief, if you're looking for a big-sounding amp then you should definitely give this Carvin a go. You do get a lot of bang for your buck.

Edited by discreet