Why become a member? ×

1977 Fender Precision Bass

timmo

I got talking to my neighbour, and told him i was trying to learn the Bass.He brought out a case with a 1977 Fender Precision Bass in pristine condition that has been left in the case for 20 years, and opened it for the forst time today.Is it worth anything, as i told him it could be worth at least £800.Has anyone got any idea as to what it is woth please?

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1365365212' post='2038679']
I got talking to my neighbour, and told him i was trying to learn the Bass.He brought out a case with a 1977 Fender Precision Bass in pristine condition that has been left in the case for 20 years, and opened it for the forst time today.Is it worth anything, as i told him it could be worth at least £800.Has anyone got any idea as to what it is woth please?
[/quote]
tell him to google "fender precision 1977 sale"

I would do but he he is old, and no internet.That is why i said i would try to find out,He doesn`t want to sell it, but i told him he should get insurance for it if it is worth £800.I did find one ad that wanted £1200, but it aint all original, so dubious whether it is worth that.

[b] Vintage 1977 American Fender Precision Bass[/b]

I,m thinking about selling or swapping my 1977 vintage P Bass as its a bit too heavy for me theses days!
All serious offers considered or swaps for similar quality instruments, I,m thinking about a stingray or maybe a Jazz Bass.
It was setup and restrung by the Bass Centre in London last week with elites 45-105,s and the action and neck set the way I wanted.
It was fitted with active pickups when I bought it over 10 years ago, but I had it professionally restored to its original glory.
So its all original except for
Fender Vintage Pickups with cloth wiring loom
Pickguard
V & T controls from a 1973 P Bass
TGI flight case.
I,m looking at around £1200.
Cheers!

That is why i asked you knowledgable people, as some people value way over thinking it is worth more than it really is

I did like this thread from a while back though [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160930-vintage-fender-precision-bass-1977-for-sale/"]http://basschat.co.u...-1977-for-sale/[/url] which didn`t sell on ebay or this forum

Edited by timmo

Without a lot more info (pictures, including datestamps, pots/pickups etc, weight, a credible opinion on how it plays/sounds, if the neck is straight etc etc), I don't think it's possible to give you an accurate estimate - you should take it to a respected dealer and get them to give you a valuation if you need an accurate figure for insurance purposes.

That said, IMHO your £800 is too low if it is all original, in good condition, with original case etc - I'd say at least £1200 - look on various dealer sites, e.g andy baxter who's a well respected vintage dealer:

http://www.andybaxterbass.com/guitars.php?cat=1

All the 1977 precisions on there are at least £1500, so allowing for dealer margins, I'd say a private seller might be looking at £1200-£1300ish for one which is in good condition, all original, not too heavy and plays/sounds good.

FWIW I think ebay is a pretty poor measure of prices, since a lot of the "vintage" Fender stuff on there is dodgy, non original and/or poorly described.

Also (as you noted above), a lot of the stuff in the classifieds here is overpriced (well the stuff which sits for months and doesn't sell is at least), so not a great measure of realistic prices (/me dons flame-proof jacket ;) )

OK, thanks for the replies.I have told him he should insure it for at least £1200, get it out of the case, and put it on a stand.He never intends to play it again, but as soon as i learn something decent to play, i will try to persuade him to let me have a go on it. It was more for insurance value to be honest.He said he had worked hard, and traded in a Rickenbacker for it, and holds to many memories for him to part with it.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1365437629' post='2039630']
OK, thanks for the replies.I have told him he should insure it for at least £1200, get it out of the case, and put it on a stand.He never intends to play it again, but as soon as i learn something decent to play, i will try to persuade him to let me have a go on it. It was more for insurance value to be honest.He said he had worked hard, and traded in a Rickenbacker for it, and holds to many memories for him to part with it.
[/quote]
Would of thought its more vulnerable out of the case and on a stand ! I would keep it in the case if I were him , the chances of shagging the nitro are pretty minute I would of thought !

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1365444066' post='2039740']

Would of thought its more vulnerable out of the case and on a stand ! I would keep it in the case if I were him , the chances of shagging the nitro are pretty minute I would of thought !
[/quote]

1977 would be a poly finish.

A decent Hercules/Ultimate stand would be fine.

So would the case in a dry environment.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1365454853' post='2039954']
Some stands have their problems too! Something to do with the fumes given of by the rubber affecting the finish. Probably exactly the same thing as the case.
[/quote]

I don't think this is really much of a problem with '70s Fenders - I have a 1979 strat and it's a very thick poly finish which would probably withstand all but the most determined abuse ;)

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1365444066' post='2039740']
[/quote]

This. I've never heard of a case lining damage a bass's finish before. Its normally when a curly lead is trapped under or on the finish for prolonged periods when the damage occurs. Keep it in the case, stop the UV attacking and fading the nitro. After this amount of time, it will be dying to crack!!

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1365508771' post='2040413']
This. I've never heard of a case lining damage a bass's finish before. Its normally when a curly lead is trapped under or on the finish for prolonged periods when the damage occurs. Keep it in the case, stop the UV attacking and fading the nitro. After this amount of time, it will be dying to crack!!
[/quote]

AFAIK the only part of the finish which will be nitro is the front of the headstock. Agree it will be safer in the case tho :)

Ok.Thanks everyone for your help.I will pass on the knowledge.I will print out this page so he can make up his own mind about it.It is a good looking bass though, and just seems ashame to leave it in a case.If it were mine, i would get a nice stand, and put it on display in the corner of a darkish room.