Why become a member? ×

Markbass advice

itsmedunc

[size=4]Hi, just looking for a bit of advice really. I have a Mark Little 2 500w and a Markbass 151p Traveller 400w cab. I am debating on whether or not to sell and buy an Ibanez Promethean P5110 with the 10" extension cab (or the Orange isobaric 2x10) as I am really trying to compact my equipment. I have just moved down from an Eden Metro with a 4x10 extension to the Mark and I am very happy with it. I was wondering, will the Promethean with extension be suitable for smallish venues? We very rarely play without PA support (if ever) so my only real problem would be monitoring. Has anyone had any experience with the Promethean? What would be a fair price for the Promethean now? I think the P5110 might be discontinued but not 100% about that. I really don't want to sell the Mark stuff to find the Promethean wont be suitable. Any ideas? Thanks...[/size]

I've never used a Promethean, but I know that the Markbass 2x10 combo will be more convenient than a seperate head and cab. It's more than enough for most 'normal' venues, sounds incredible, and I think you can tilt it back into monitor position too!

Hi, thanks for that. I sort of have it in my head that I could just lift the little combo to take to rehearsals etc and hide the cab from my mrs who wants her living room(s) back! Not as easy with a 2x10 combo, she's like a bloodhound! I have stupidly just read a review of the AER Amp One... Now they do sound good...

If you like Markbass gear, the Mini CMD121P combo that I use is a great little amp. Smaller dimensions than the 151 cab,but still puts out 300 watts at 8ohms. In my 8-piece band I just use it on its own, and it`s plenty for pub sized venues. An easy lift/carry as well.

[size=4]Hi, thanks for your reply. I have just been having a look at those too. They do seem like a good option but I cant recall seeing one for sale second hand? It would have to be used I suppose. Its whether or not I could realistically sell my Mark setup and have enough for the Mini CMD. would you put them at a similar value? Thanks...[/size]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1365027124' post='2034452']
If you like Markbass gear, the Mini CMD121P combo that I use is a great little amp. Smaller dimensions than the 151 cab,but still puts out 300 watts at 8ohms. In my 8-piece band I just use it on its own, and it`s plenty for pub sized venues. An easy lift/carry as well.
[/quote]

I am a markbass fan. Never had the pleasure of using the Mini CMD121P but its amazing that such a small combo holds its own with an 8 piece band! No home should be without 1

Personally if I was you, is just go about looking for a secondhand 1x12 from markbass, they come up every now and then at a decent price.

I don't think the Ibanez is any close in comparison to the sound quality and performance you have with markbass

Personally if I was you, is just go about looking for a secondhand 1x12 from markbass, they come up every now and then at a decent price.

I don't think the Ibanez is any close in comparison to the sound quality and performance you have with markbass

I've owned and gigged both the traveller 151 and the p5110 with its extension cab. I'd say finding a markbass 12" might be the best all round solution. The promethean wasn't light and although it sounded good and made a tidy and powerful little stack (you'd have no problem gigging it, I used it at festivals on big stages and was still too loud) I found it unreliable, in fact, every single piece I owned failed, including the cabs!
The traveller is a great cab, the obvious choice to replace it would be barefaced midget, but they are pretty pricey. So that takes us back to the idea of a markbass 12" of some description.

If you're happy with you MB rig, keep it. If it's about wanting a smaller cab then go with what's been said above or try out the 2X10 Traveller cab (it's taller, but a smaller footprint).

I've got the 2x10 combo & it's bigger than the cab you have (it's the same size as the 2x10 STD).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1365068654' post='2034734']
If you're happy with you MB rig, keep it. If it's about wanting a smaller cab then go with what's been said above or try out the 2X10 Traveller cab (it's taller, but a smaller footprint).

I've got the 2x10 combo & it's bigger than the cab you have (it's the same size as the 2x10 STD).
[/quote]

I found that both mb 1x12s I tried were a lot clearer and just as loud as the traveller 2x10, and one I was able to tilt back solving height issues.