Why become a member? ×

Should I sell My Genz Benz STL 9.0?

ReeV0

Hey guys,

I'm currently using a Genz Benz STL 9.0, and have been for a couple of years. Thing is, I'm frankly a bit bored with the sound, and was never reeeally that impressed with it to begin with. My old GK RB1001, at 700W, sounded better and louder than my Genz Benz at 900W. The only reason I switched was because of the weight.

So, I'm wondering whether to change. I've heard nothing but good things about the TC RH450, and it sounds great. But at 450W, it's half the power of the Genz Benz. Now, some say that it can still match it in volume, but I wonder how this is possible? Can anyone confirm this? Unfortunately there is no realistic way of me trying it to find out myself.

I just find the Genz Benz... lacks something... I don't know what. I've never been able to get that great funk rock slap tone that I could from my GK....

Thanks for any advice given!

I can`t really comment on the RH as not had one, but did have the Classic 450 which was a very good, versatile amp. And, despite various posts about TCs lack of power, it was plenty loud enough for me in punk and rock bands. That said, if you liked the GK so much, why not try either the MB500 or the MB Fusion 500. Both great little amps, incredibly loud. The Fusion 500 has a thicker tone, due to the pre-amp valves, but both are unmistakably GK-sounding. And each is only the size of about half a lap-top, so no weight issues - far from it.

[quote name='jjl5590' timestamp='1364939576' post='2033181']
Hey guys,

I'm currently using a Genz Benz STL 9.0, and have been for a couple of years. Thing is, I'm frankly a bit bored with the sound, and was never reeeally that impressed with it to begin with. My old GK RB1001, at 700W, sounded better and louder than my Genz Benz at 900W. The only reason I switched was because of the weight.

So, I'm wondering whether to change. I've heard nothing but good things about the TC RH450, and it sounds great. But at 450W, it's half the power of the Genz Benz. Now, some say that it can still match it in volume, but I wonder how this is possible? Can anyone confirm this? Unfortunately there is no realistic way of me trying it to find out myself.

I just find the Genz Benz... lacks something... I don't know what. I've never been able to get that great funk rock slap tone that I could from my GK....

[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/203865-markbass-sa450-vs-tc-electronic-rh450/"]Here's some not great comments about the RH450[/url].

TBH, I'm through with any Class-D head that has that B&O power module, which seems to be most of them. They might sound OK at first, but after a while I realise there's something missing. It's like Diet Coke v. the real thing.

Until there's a new generation of lightweight power modules that really work, without relying on clever circuitry to make the amp [i]sound[/i] loud, I'm back on amps that have 'proper' power supplies. They instantly give me the 'full fat' tone the others lack.

I appreciate there will be no shortage of people queueing up to disagree with me, and that's fine - I can only speak from my experience.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='jjl5590' timestamp='1364939576' post='2033181']
Hey guys,

[/quote]

The RH might be too warm and middy compared to the Gallien tone you like. The RH750 does have more high end on tap though. Great amps and very very loud (if you like an Ampeg pushed through an 8x10 you will like the RH amps).

However, I think you might really like the Gallien MB800!

Was the RB700 really that heavy that you couldn't deal with it anymore?

Man up!

I'm with WoT on this one, big amps with proper power stages sound bigger. I have an Ampeg PF-350 and a GK MB200 for when I need something small and light, but the MAJ goes with me whenever I can take it!

Truckstop

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1364940305' post='2033193']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/203865-markbass-sa450-vs-tc-electronic-rh450/"]Here's some not great comments about the RH450[/url].

TBH, I'm through with any Class-D head that has that B&O power module, which seems to be most of them. They might sound OK at first, but after a while I realise there's something missing. It's like Diet Coke v. the real thing.

Until there's a new generation of lightweight power modules that really work, without relying on clever circuitry to make the amp [i]sound[/i] loud, I'm back on amps that have 'proper' power supplies. They instantly give me the 'full fat' tone the others lack.

I appreciate there will be no shortage of people queueing up to disagree with me, and that's fine - I can only speak from my experience.
[/quote]

What this guy says .

I know they are very popular and lots of folks swear by them , but I have never liked any Genz Benz amps ( or cabs ) I have ever heard , and I cannot help but think it is probably related to the sonic compromises involved in some of the new technology they use . The do seem to lack a certain something - some sense of richness and depth - and always sound somehow grey and uninspiring to my ears . I much prefer GK heads , and would gladly use on of those myself . Purely my own prejudices and opinion , of course , but I think WoT is right when he says none of the new generation of super lightweight amps ( Markbass spring to mind ) really matches up to a bit of good old fashioned heft .

Edited by Dingus

Shuttle 9.0 can be beefed up by turning the mid frequency selector all the way anti clockwise and then boosting the bass and mid level by a couple of clicks.
Great amp but I prefer my little Mark 800, it goes deeper, is fatter and seems louder too!
Rh450 will not keep up, the 750 will but has a built in grainyness to the sound that you cannot eq out, love it or hate it!