Why become a member? ×

Nile and Bernard

Pete Academy

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1364891809' post='2032151']
Chic are playing in London in July I think.
[/quote]

And they are actually playing at the 'Love Supreme' Jazz Festival (nr. Brighton) this Summer.....along with Marcus Miller, Esperanza Spalding, Dave Swift, etc..cannot wait!

I went to see Chic in the late 70s at The Apollo in Manchester. The band were great, but Bernard was playing a BC Rich bass with a P-Bass pickup and it sounded awful...completely boomy. It was very disappointing in that respect.

A later album called Chicism is worth checking out. Great songs, production and bass sound.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1364856038' post='2031956']

I think they're still a group...

I think they played in Belfast not that long ago.
[/quote]

I was there , Mandela hall , great show wasn't that fussed on the bass player but Nile Rodgers was outstanding .
Audience was 90% women glammed up ,only gig I've ever been at where the WHOLE crowd danced from the first song to the last.

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1365096592' post='2035343']
I was there , Mandela hall , great show wasn't that fussed on the bass player but Nile Rodgers was outstanding .
Audience was 90% women glammed up ,only gig I've ever been at where the WHOLE crowd danced from the first song to the last.
[/quote]

Were they old? I dunno, but i just expect any woman who remembers what it's like to go out int he hey-day of disco to be old. Maybe they don't...

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1364905823' post='2032375']
Although Paul Jackson jnr and Louis Johnson on the early Michael Jackson albums [70//80's]
were pretty special as well, playing on millions of $'s worth of tracks.

That was a good BBC4 Doc the other night.
I did manage to see Chic many moon's ago - And BE's playing was real Bass in your face stuff.

Garry
[/quote]

indeed - not too distract from nile rodgers but i agree with Garry that PJJ is about the only other rhythm guitarist that can do what nile does as well as nile

[media]http://youtu.be/gevqAwGOwyA[/media]

scanning back through all th e old live concert footage on youtube, to go back to Pete's original point, it would have been good to have seen them live in their original format, ive seen some great bands and line-ups over the years and even as a teenager i was into everything from abba to zappa but my live gig preferences always seemed to gravitate more towards hte prog end of the musical spectrum - just wish id got around to seeing a wider range of bands in the 70s and 80s :)

Edited by steve-bbb

Spent this evening learning "The Greatest Dancer" by Sister Sledge. There's only about half a dozen notes but it took me the best part of an hour to nail the groove. Simple, but absolutely genius.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDwutKpVyas"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDwutKpVyas[/url]