Why become a member? ×

Fender price increases?

markbunney

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1364906109' post='2032387']
......................By the way, I never said anything about making a loss. That would be daft.
[/quote]

Well I don't think messrs Fender are making a lot of money currently - in fact I read a financial article recently which suggested their biggest problem is people not wanting to buy new ones because of the perception that old ones are better, and did not bode well at all.

But it's true that musical instruments are classed as non essential luxury items and companies have been having a hard time of it for several years now - no doubt there is pressure from increasing manufacturing costs (not labour though!!) and exchange rate against imports - and for those with shareholders and the market to impress, no doubt a desire to improve margins. This has happened in the past as a result of Government wanting to limit imports to improve import/export ratio and improve financial performance. We seem to be entering another period of weaker currency, so the prices will go up - best thing is to wait for Fender or other manufacturers to announce another new vintage re-issue line and then pick up one of the bargains sold off at half price of the old line at a major retailer who's clearing floor space for the new models (if like me, you like shiny new basses and bass cases (a bit like new cars - it's a lovely feeling when you get one - nothing like the smell, fell and look of it).

Edited by drTStingray

Apparently Fender may have a new line of MIM Classic basses with nitro paint/nice tolex traditional hardcase. I do think they are struggling though despite what we might expect. A lot of people just return them...I bet they have a lot of problems due to the 7 day return rule.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1364935378' post='2033056']
Apparently Fender may have a new line of MIM Classic basses with nitro paint/nice tolex traditional hardcase. I do think they are struggling though despite what we might expect. A kid of people just return them...I bet they have a lot of problems due to the 7 day return rule.
[/quote]

One of those will set you back €900 in Ireland.
900 notes will get you a high end Ibby or Yamaha. Not surprising that they're not making money.

Mate of mine bought a 2011 USA std Strat in November of that year for about £1100 .

By late Jan 2012 they were selling 2011's for about £850 to clear space for the ' all new model for 2012' - ie saddle grub screw 0.0001mm longer, er, that's it.

Timing is everything. My friend was not best pleased. Learn from his error.

I got a new, custom finish CS Jazz from a US dealer a couple of years ago, cost me £1850, inc shipping. To buy a similar guitar today would cost me £2500, without shipping. Even if you knock off, say, £200 for an ex-rate adjustment, it's still nearly a £400 increase over two years, albeit at a retailer's pricing.

Edited by Stacker

The only major currency that has weakened against sterling in the past year is the Yen. So Japanese instruments should be coming down in price quite appreciably. MIJ or CIJ Fenders should be opening up a big gap in terms of affordability vs US made. Also Japanese manufacturers such as Ibanez should be getting cheaper.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1364980386' post='2033479']
The only major currency that has weakened against sterling in the past year is the Yen. So Japanese instruments should be coming down in price quite appreciably. MIJ or CIJ Fenders should be opening up a big gap in terms of affordability vs US made. Also Japanese manufacturers such as Ibanez should be getting cheaper.
[/quote]

Definately the case with Ibanez. I bought an RG2550Z guitar 3 years ago for £800. 12 - 18 months ago the price was a grand, now its back down to £850. Maybe i should have a look at a Japenese Fender P instead. My other two Fenders are CIJ and they are great instruments.

A lot of things have kicked up high-street prices on pretty much everything over the last 3-5 years. 5% increase in VAT, rising cost of fuel (and hence increased shipping costs), pound falling against dollar and euro. When you take all these factors into account, it's not really surprising that we're seeing that consumer prices have risen even 50% over that period.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1364935378' post='2033056']
Apparently Fender may have a new line of MIM Classic basses with nitro paint/nice tolex traditional hardcase.
[/quote]

Are these the 'big announcement' for the Musikmesse?