Why become a member? ×

Why do we gig?

Clarebear68

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1363545735' post='2013934']
Isn't that how everyone does it? Pay-per-dump, I mean.

As for the question of up-front payment on arrival ... an [i]interesting[/i] one to debate.
[/quote]

Haha :D

Well, he would normally set up, then ask, just so they had some security and could trust to pay him and still get what they paid for. I think it's reasonable, and he swears by it. He wouldn't do a gig unless he got paid before.

We never ask for payment until the end of the night, our guitarist always gets an email confirming the fee....any arguments and out comes the I Phone with the email and away we go, to be fair to the local venues we have never had any serious debate over fees at the end of the night

I gig because I love it. That fact that I'll get a few quid at the end of the night is icing on the cake. We play mostly local-ish pubs & clubs, so travelling expense isn't really an issue. As for strings, maintenance, etc, I'd be paying for that anyway as I play at home at least a couple of hours every day. The buzz I get from playing live is like nothing else. It's a drug, and the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Probably. :)

I don't know about you but I gig because I love playing music that I've written to an audience. It makes me feel good.

I'm not a professional or semi pro so getting paid is not top of my list. I have a day job I get paid for.

[quote name='Hot Tub' timestamp='1363549734' post='2014026']
I gig because I love it. That fact that I'll get a few quid at the end of the night is icing on the cake. We play mostly local-ish pubs & clubs, so travelling expense isn't really an issue. As for strings, maintenance, etc, I'd be paying for that anyway as I play at home at least a couple of hours every day. The buzz I get from playing live is like nothing else. It's a drug, and the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Probably. :)
[/quote]

There's a lot of things you can do with your clothes off that aren't any fun too :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363544639' post='2013919']
Useless analogies that i HATE being used, but i agree with the overall point.

A guitar teacher i know, who has a LOT of gigging experience said that no matter what kind of gig he was playing, wedding, pub, whatever, he ALWAYS asked to be paid when he was setting up for the night. If he didn't get paid, he didn't play. That way he avoided getting done out of money.
[/quote]
"Useless" and "Hate" ...two extremely negative words, but I am glad you agree with the overall point.

From a professional point of view the guitar teacher that you know has a very sensible relationship with the venues that he plays imho.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1363554407' post='2014108']
"Useless" and "Hate" ...two extremely negative words, but I am glad you agree with the overall point.

From a professional point of view the guitar teacher that you know has a very sensible relationship with the venues that he plays imho.
[/quote]

Yes, they are negative words, that's why i used them :)

Yes, he does.

What the hell is 'pay to play'?

I have heard of record companies paying a headlining band on a tour to take their band/artist as a support but surely local bands are not paying a venue for a slot!?!?!?

I saw a promoter write a FB post the other day saying musicians should be happy that they even get to play to an audience (for free). I wonder if he does his promoting out of the goodness of his heart........

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1363536433' post='2013755']
The 'why do we need to perform live?' Q puzzled me for years until I heard the great Rabbath explain. He says the adrenalin slows down time, so you have forever to form each note, and that's a very special thing.

Spot on. No amount of rehearsal gets that adrenalin going. You have to have an audience. :)
[/quote]

The feeling described very well above is what I looked forward to most.... used to take me hours to 'come down'

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1363544383' post='2013915']

Dead right. Always agree the fee. No payment = no play.... its as simple as that. agreeing to take a percentage on the door is a nonsense. Would you pay a plumber based upon the amount of times the toilet he fitted is flushed? Would you pay a joiner based upon the amount of times the door he hung was opened?

We all love playing, its a passion, but do not let club/bar owners take the piss.
[/quote]

I agree with Milty, albeit in a bit more of a positive manner ;-)
I'm not keen on that analogy; the plumber thing would only work if revenue was generated with each flush, which it isn't. The percentage of the door thing is more like a salesman's commission, or publishing royalties (let's not go there again!). In these cases, it's an arrangement which minimises risk for the payer, and increases potential reward for the payee.
The percentage of the door model is like this, but highly flawed. It's win/win for the landlord as they have little outlay, yet get door money AND bar takings. The band have a limited upside due to venue capacity.
They are doing all the hard work (marketing etc.) for nothing more than the money they should have been getting for just playing.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1363589683' post='2014332']
Just wondering why so vehemently negative - I found them uselessly hateful tbh.... (no smilie)
[/quote]

Because they are useless analogies that people seem to chuck up no matter what is being discussed. No smilie.

I must`ve done thousands of gigs in the last 37 years- obviously cant remember every one but I can remember the ones that I didnt get paid for- ( or as I can put it- was ripped off! )

Even on the original circuit someone is making money from the band.

You are not a charity- if you want to play in front of plenty of your fans etc hire a place yourself and take all the door.

I detest landlords thinking I am a fool.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363593835' post='2014357']
Because they are useless analogies that people seem to chuck up no matter what is being discussed. No smilie.
[/quote]

And that warrants HATE? Have a word with yourself!

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1363594337' post='2014363']
And that warrants HATE? Have a word with yourself!
[/quote]
Its ok dude, not worth getting excited about. Its easy for individuals to be abrasive, rude and obnoxious over a keyboard online. Its an unfortunate downside of internet communications between strangers who will never meet face to face.

Apologies to any other members who found my use of analogies useless and hateful lol!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1363596138' post='2014374']
Its ok dude, not worth getting excited about. Its easy for individuals to be abrasive, rude and obnoxious over a keyboard online. Its an unfortunate downside of internet communications between strangers who will never meet face to face.

Apologies to any other members who found my use of analogies useless and hateful lol!
[/quote]

Sorry If I caused you any discomfort,man.

I found milty's post abrasive and dismissive - which you took on the chin well. I just needed to point out that this should not be considered the norm.

History has surely taught us the vile nature of hate... I really dislike it being implied in any conversation...

Edited by OldG

It is 28 years since I played my first gig :huh: .

I still play in an originals band who are gigging fairly regularly. The decline in the number of pubs is particularly well documented (20-30 per week). We are finding the waiting time to get a gig is become more and more extended as there are the same number of bands and less places to play. Market forces are such that prices are therefore falling. The positive side is that you have to have an increasingly quality set. Anyone else noticing the trend on price?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1363545911' post='2013939']
Haha :D

Well, he would normally set up, then ask, just so they had some security and could trust to pay him and still get what they paid for. I think it's reasonable, and he swears by it. He wouldn't do a gig unless he got paid before.
[/quote]

Chuck Berry always asks for his fee, in cash, in a brown paper bag, before he goes on stage. He was ripped off so many times in the past,he now refuses to play without the cash up front.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1363598386' post='2014401']
Chuck Berry always asks for his fee, in cash, in a brown paper bag, before he goes on stage. He was ripped off so many times in the past,he now refuses to play without the cash up front.
[/quote]

He is also well known for no-shows after he has been paid up front - basically doing a runner with the cash! Naughty man! :modspank:[size=4] [/size]