Why become a member? ×

american standard jazz bass

jerseytrev

[quote name='markdavid' post='207517' date='May 27 2008, 08:01 PM']reviews have been very good as well.[/quote]

By who? BassGuitarMagazine?

Their reviews aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Far to keen to keep the manufacturers sweet. It really does them a disservice.

I've played the new American Standard, and for me, it represents a step backwards.

I own the old US standard and wouldn't swap.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='207558' date='May 27 2008, 08:34 PM']I must admit, I haven't played one of the new ones, but the jazz should've kept the S1 switching system. It was like having two basses in one. I really liked mine :)[/quote]

I agree. Why remove it?

There was no positives from taking it away.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='207618' date='May 27 2008, 09:55 PM']I agree. Why remove it?

There was no positives from taking it away.[/quote]

Nothing apart from making the bass cheaper to make. I suppose they have to do something in the current economic climate, otherwise USA Fenders will be made in Chinese sweat shops by makers on a dollar a day, etc!

Played a couple of them - same old same except for the nice hard case.
So what about the bridge? They finally woke up after 25 years of people putting Baddass replacements in?
Other manufacturers have been using lightweight sturdy tuners for years - the fact that a 4-string Fender has neckdive is a joke.
Buy it only if your bass [i]has[/i] to have Fender on the headstock.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='207618' date='May 27 2008, 09:55 PM']I agree. Why remove it?

There was no positives from taking it away.[/quote]

It had to go, back to the original VVT I reckon, also reckon they should use either reverse machine heads too or at least the open gear type. Wasn't the S1 supposed to have a P bass like tone? Buy a P Bass I say....still, although I have an S1, have to say it's a great bass, love to try the new standard though :)

[quote name='XB26354' post='207680' date='May 27 2008, 10:51 PM']So what about the bridge? They finally woke up after 25 years of people putting Baddass replacements in?
Other manufacturers have been using lightweight sturdy tuners for years - the fact that a 4-string Fender has neckdive is a joke.[/quote]

I'm not a "fender-head" but I've never played a more comfortable bass than my Jazz. I've A/B'd it against a fender USA with Badass and couldn't hear any difference. The bridge is plenty sturdy enough for me.

As for neck dive - really??? Maybe its how I hold my bass, but I've never experienced it with any fender bass.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='207683' date='May 27 2008, 11:56 PM']My 4 string Fender doesn't dive...... :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18771"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18771[/url][/quote]

+1 i've owned a fair few Fenders over the last 29 years & had no neck dive problems.

[quote name='XB26354' post='207680' date='May 27 2008, 10:51 PM']So what about the bridge? They finally woke up after 25 years of people putting Baddass replacements in?
Other manufacturers have been using lightweight sturdy tuners for years - the fact that a 4-string Fender has neckdive is a joke.
Buy it only if your bass [i]has[/i] to have Fender on the headstock.[/quote]

Neck dive? my deluxe jazz has great balance even with a hipshot d-tuner, it does have the fender lightweight tuners but i also had no problems with my Reggie Hamilton jazz, big tuners including hipshot.
As for the bridge my deluxe has the up rated bridge which seems slightly sturdier than a standard fender bridge, i have my doubts whether a sturdier bridge would yield any improvements given the string through body set up.

I have come full circle back to a fender jazz via bongo's high end warwicks etc you can't beat a good jazz/p bass especially if like me you can only have one or two basses.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='207529' date='May 27 2008, 08:10 PM']By who? BassGuitarMagazine?

Their reviews aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Far to keen to keep the manufacturers sweet. It really does them a disservice.[/quote]

To be fair the review in BGM wasnt entirely positive. They rightly pointed out the major price increases meant that especially the Precision wasn't great value for money.

I came stupidly close to splashing out on one of these yesterday. I was in Music Ground in Leeds for ages. I will get one at some point but I just cant justify the £1000 price tag at the moment. Hopefully a few second hand ones will pop up over the next 6 months or so?

[quote name='Beefy' post='210412' date='Jun 1 2008, 10:06 AM']I came stupidly close to splashing out on one of these yesterday. I was in Music Ground in Leeds for ages. I will get one at some point but I just cant justify the £1000 price tag at the moment. Hopefully a few second hand ones will pop up over the next 6 months or so?[/quote]

Beefy - these are generaly now £769 on the net and , for example ,Andertons where you can try them out and buy at the net price.They've only been out since Jan 08 but some retailers seem to still have the first batch stock at the first issue price which was 900+.

[quote name='BassBomber414' post='210428' date='Jun 1 2008, 10:59 AM']Beefy - these are generaly now £769 on the net and , for example ,Andertons where you can try them out and buy at the net price.They've only been out since Jan 08 but some retailers seem to still have the first batch stock at the first issue price which was 900+.[/quote]

Yeah I checked out some online prices after I posted. Good job I didn't get too carried away on the moment. Could've been an expensive impulse buy :)

I personally think a good condition SH series one would be a much better bet. The bridge on these later fenders is much more substantial than those of old, and if you don't like the series one switching - just don't use it. I picked one up off of here for under £500 and it's mint and gorgeous!

Got a 2004 S1 Precision. No neck dive and never use the S1. Sounds pretty good to me. I agree that the bridge is not as substatial as that on my old Lakky's or Warwicks (or the MM back up I use) but as I string thru the body it doesn't seem much of an issue.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='211320' date='Jun 2 2008, 07:29 PM']I used the S1 on my Jazz quite a bit. It really did give you the thicker precision-type sound. Very useful! But people with Precisions don't seem to bother with it. With no bridge-based pickup it's not going to sound like a jazz, just a thinner, weedier precision![/quote]

Exactly.

Unfortunately my new (old) Jazz doesn't have S1 :)