Why become a member? ×

Guitarist Turned to the "Dark Side"

Haemasmtha

Hi
I'm Pat a 40 year old fat git from Rotherham.
I have recently started a project - Haemasmtha - which is experimental and probably a little off to the side of what is talked about here. As non of the other band members played Bass I stepped in and have not read any treble clef for nearly 2 months. I now don't even understand treble clef, I have forgotten what the other two strings are for....and can't even hear those upper registers :)

I personally listen to anything - car glovebox has Dave Brubeck, Sunn o))) Black Sabbath ( all early years ) The Orb Pink Floyd ( nothing after Atom Heart Mother ) Hawkwind Phurpa REM The Who ...owt really.

As for kit I'm just starting out in Bassworld but strangely my amps and cabs outweigh my basses .... due to guitars and music styles.

I have.....
2 of 2x15 inch cabs I built myself with 2x 300w eminence drivers - ported and wadding filled. They each have a HF/mid cab "head" with 2xCelestion comp drivers/horns. There's a 300W 1x15 Celestion sub I built which is 600x600x600mm slot ported and baffled - tuned to 35hz - all driven by a 300w Sunn PA amp. The PA amp can be direct injected from a Laney BC120. - crude but works. The main system I use for practice is the Laney into one of the 2x15s plus HF Head Cab.

As for Bass I use ( don't take the pee ) an old Westfield Thunderbird copy fitted with Roto Monel Flatwounds - heavy as hell to play but ok as I play fingerstyle with my thumb resting on the corner of the neck joint.

I'm saving for a new Bass but can't decide whether to go 5 string or not ( I'm used to classical guitar necks so width isn't a issue ) I've tried the Yamaha rbx 375, ESP LTD B5 and D5 and the Ibanez SR500 5 string - what I would really like to try is the BTB 675 - the SR is a little narrow but the best so far ( my son plays an Ibanez Jet King 3 Bass which he loves )

Anyway that's me - take the pee I'm used to it :) :)

Cheers guys.
Just had practice and those Roto Monels have got to go - 110 bottom - they are like playing fencewire !! My fingers are pretty strong from working outside all day in all weathers and these strings make them hurt!!!! They are way too rigid and detune badly. The action ( of the cheap bass) is pretty much set up as low as I can get it . What would be usual on a Thunderbird?

[quote name='Haemasmtha' timestamp='1362616892' post='2002390']
don't take the pee
[/quote]

then:

[quote name='Haemasmtha' timestamp='1362616892' post='2002390']
take the pee
[/quote]

We're sick and tired of people sending out mixed messages and putting us in a double bind position, but we'd [b][i]never[/i][/b] take the pee! :P :lol: :ph34r:

Welcome, Pat, to the wonderful world that sometimes is BassChat. I'm sure you'll thrive here.
There's all types of bassists, guitarists and drummers on here, and some would probably be much into experimental stuff. I know I am, but then again I've not yet climbed to the level of being a bassist.

Anyway, enjoy the info, the quite often polite debate, and the banter!

best,
bert

[quote name='Haemasmtha' timestamp='1363618802' post='2014807']
Bass Tractor you list some very reactive Elements there.
I assume you know that the Carbon 1s electron has a binding energy of 285 eV ( roughly depending on environment ) ? :)
Have you listened to Phurpa?
[/quote]

Elements: yup. I like some action every now and then. :) ;)
Carbon: yes, but don't forget the shifts. A binding energy of 285 eV is only typical, not fixed.
Phurpa: no, but I will, as I do like the rest of your list.

best,
bert

PS
Have no idea about the eV scale, but do be friends with Google. :)

Edited by BassTractor

Hello and welcome!

Bass is best!
(I played Spanish classical guitar as a child...... Borrrriiiinnngggggg .........when I now compare to my lovely low notes now :P)

I have an Ibanez 5 string, fab instrument, mine is strung with La Bella flats.... I also have an Ibanez 4 string with Roundwounds.