Why become a member? ×

R. I. P Rory

AussieBassman

I was lucky enough to see him live at St Albans Arena back in the late 80s IIRC - fantastic gig, did all the songs I'd heard on the Irish Tour Album which I managed to get in mint condition from a local charity shop for 50p. Recently got the CD from Tesco for £3..

RIP fella..

Only saw him once in the mid 80's and though it is fair to say his career had probably peaked by then he was still a considerable talent and had the enthusiasm to pull off a terrific gig. We got a bit of all sorts that night - full on electric, acoustic, slide, the lot.

Top marks for Bass Face in the first OP Video. Not quite in the same league as the Eric Krasno epic but hey, it's all good.
B)
God Bless Rory.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1362327933' post='1998419']
I always loved Rory Gallagher, so was delighted to see he was on the bill of a festival we went to in the 90's. What a disappointment, he came on obviously very drunk, fluffed a few solos, and disappeared from stage for long periods, leaving his bemused band to carry on by themselves. It was so sad to see such a legend letting himself down so much and I think we witnessed part of his downfall. He died not long after :(
[/quote]

He developed a great fear of flying as he got older. He continued touring though, with the aid of prescription meds and booze. He contracted liver disease but actually died of MRSA after 13 weeks in intensive care, awaiting a transplant at King's College Hospital. Very sad.