Why become a member? ×

Rocksmith

Hobbayne

Has anyone had a go on this? Is it really helping learners? or just another Guitar Hero type of thing??
[url="http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-gb/home/"]http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-gb/home/[/url]

Got it for Xmas from my other half. It is actually very well done. The intelligent on-the-fly changing difficulty works really well, the visuals take a while to get used to, but after that they're quite intuitive.

As for helping learners, well, it actually inspired said other half to try taking up bass. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a complete teaching package, but for anyone who is either getting lessons, or has an experienced player to ask for advice, it does offer assistance and encouragement.

The thing that does bother me a little is that the scoring for guitar and bass are wildly at odds. Playing guitar with someone else on bass, you can find yourself nailing runs, chords, leaping up and down the neck, while they're plodding along on open strings. Then you'll find the bassist's score is ten times higher than the guitarist's!

Yeah, it is a lot of fun, not a teaching tool as such but definitely a fun way to learn some new stuff. As Dr M says the dynamic difficulty is pretty good,
starting you out with the basics of a track and ramping up to the full song as you nail phrases along the way. It also lets you pick out sections
and slow them down which can he handy.

They've been supporting it with a regular stream of downloadable content as well, bit pricey but some prety good bass stuff in there.

I'm also interested, I've seen some videos on YouTube, specifically bass of course ;) that has made me want to get it, as it looks like it would be fun and would learn new songs at the same time!

Online prices are pretty expensive though although eBay new is around £44 which is the cheapest I've found so far.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1362154901' post='1996561']
Has anyone had a go on this? Is it really helping learners? or just another Guitar Hero type of thing??
[url="http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-gb/home/"]http://rocksmith.ubi...ith/en-gb/home/[/url]
[/quote]

It will show you what notes to play, but not really teach you any theory or technique. It annoys me that they try to sell it using the "It will teach you to play" guitar bit. At the most, you might learn a couple of things, but i reckon it's just a bit of fun more than anything.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1362301877' post='1998019']
It will show you what notes to play, but not really teach you any theory or technique. It annoys me that they try to sell it using the "It will teach you to play" guitar bit. At the most, you might learn a couple of things, but i reckon it's just a bit of fun more than anything.
[/quote]

To be fair, it does include theory and technique videos. Some of them are pretty awful (the one on syncopation springs to mind) but a lot of them are at least as good as the videos on YouTube that many people work from anyway.

Again, I don't think it's a one-stop solution, but it's a much better tool than I originally expected.

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1362415117' post='1999302']
To be fair, it does include theory and technique videos. Some of them are pretty awful (the one on syncopation springs to mind) but a lot of them are at least as good as the videos on YouTube that many people work from anyway.

Again, I don't think it's a one-stop solution, but it's a much better tool than I originally expected.
[/quote]

That's true, but it won't ever tell you if what you are doing is good or bad, other than the notes you are playing. Bad positioning, bad chord shapes, bad right hand technique, it won't tell you if you are doing it wrong. I don't like YouTube lessons eater for the same reason. If you're going to learn an instrument, get a teacher and do it properly.

One thing worth noting with it, at least this is what I have found, the onboard tuner is rubbish. I was getting fails all over the place with Power Chords. Then I tuned my bass with my Zoom B3 because I was having a play with it. Next time I tried the Power Chord challenge, I went from Bronze (just) straight to easy Gold. Will have to try the same thing with my guitar.

• 2 months later...

I bought Rocksmith a couple of months ago, and I think it has helped me alot. There are some issues (freezing, not registering when I play the E string on some of the minigames), but I feel I've developed as a bass player after buying it. I've only played bass for about a year, so I guess it's different if you have played for some years. I've tried dvd's and books, but I think this is better. And being a gamer, I always want to beat the highscore. ;)

• 1 month later...

I bought it a couple of weeks ago but only got around to string it up today. I found it very enjoyable. Took me a couple of goes to get my head around it but then I was flying!

I have only recently started suing bad again after a 35 year break and already know the basics but I reckon a complete novice could pick this up and start learning straight away.

Not a real substitute for a teacher though, as it doesn't give you the same feedback or tell you off when you don't use your pinky on those hard to reach frets.

Good buy though.

Rocksmith 2014 is coming in October and is substantially improved. The biggest issue with it now is the fairly frustrating menu navigation, but they are fixing that. I, like great harry, hadn't played for a long time, and this got me back in again on the bass. Without it I probably wouldn't be playing today.

Here one can see some of the improvements in the new version.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/JWRfbd2ebEs[/youtube]

Edited by bjelkeman

I have a copy, and it is what made me want to learn how to play a bass. There are some good tutorials.However, it will only teach you how to play the songs featured. I am waiting for a band to come out that only plays Rocksmith stuff

[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1372060030' post='2120997']
Rocksmith 2014 is coming in October and is substantially improved. The biggest issue with it now is the fairly frustrating menu navigation, but they are fixing that. I, like great harry, hadn't played for a long time, and this got me back in again on the bass. Without it I probably wouldn't be playing today.

Here one can see some of the improvements in the new version.

[media]http://youtu.be/JWRfbd2ebEs[/media]
[/quote]

f*** me, what a fantastic idea! What doesn't help is that the sales man / rep is so into it, and so good at it. It's cool though. I had toyed with the the idea of making up scale charts for messing around with, but I really wouldn't need to if I had that.

I know that when the original one was released they had some trouble with using the name Rocksmith (an established UK band had that name) so the release was delayed. I'm sure I read that the bass part was added into the UK release to make up for the delay. Hopefully they'll not relegate the bass to a backing instrument!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1372183054' post='2122614']
I know that when the original one was released they had some trouble with using the name Rocksmith (an established UK band had that name) so the release was delayed. I'm sure I read that the bass part was added into the UK release to make up for the delay. Hopefully they'll not relegate the bass to a backing instrument!
[/quote]

Yup. The earlier US version was guitar only. My Brother's friend had a copy of the US release and bass was not compatible with it.

I love Rocksmith. I don't think it is a great teaching aid and I don't feel I have learned anything from it much, but it is a good practicing aid, and it also says I am elite bass player now, which is nice, if not very true!

I have just recently discovered there is a community of people doing their own songs for it, so you don't have to pay £2.50 for a song from a group you only slightly like, there are hundreds done by the community. I have downloaded a good 20 or so and are going through them. Some of them are not well done, and a lot more ignore the bass a bit so you are lucky if you just get root notes on chord changes, there are a few that are just completely wrong, there are a couple I have got that start off brilliantly and then looks like they just got forgotten half way through, but there are some that are at least the equal of the paid ones, maybe better.