Why become a member? ×

Cunning plan...

JapanAxe

Next Saturday I am playing a dep country gig with what is effectively a 'scratch' band pulled together to honour a long-standing booking. The line-up is:

[indent=1]Female singer - 2/3 of lead vocals[/indent]
[indent=1]Guitar (acoustic for some, electric for others) [it's his gig][/indent]
[indent=1]Bass guitar and 1/3 of lead vocals, BVs [me][/indent]
[indent=1]Drummer (electronic kit)[/indent]

Thanks to a NIMBY neighbour, the venue has has one of those frickin' sound monitors attached to a set of miniature traffic lights. There are few things more effective at taking the fun out of a gig - I have known them to be set off by audience applause, whooping etc (chance would be a fine thing).

As well as making sure we are not too loud (e.g. electronic kit - can be turned down just like a real kit can't), my [b]cunning plan[/b] is to take my new BF Midget for its first outing, thus ensuring we (or at least I) claim the moral high ground; I simply point at the tiny little speaker, topped by an amp the size of a car radio, and wheedle 'But it can't be too loud - look how [i]little[/i] it is!'

Well, that's my [b]cunning plan[/b]. Bound to work, eh?

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1361663639' post='1989142']
Thanks to a NIMBY neighbour, the venue has has one of those frickin' sound monitors attached to a set of miniature traffic lights.
[/quote]I was employed by a major venue to fix their noise issues, because despite having one of those in the FOH they had a continuing problem. The thing never went off but the complaints still raged. No wonder, the idiots who came up with their noise control plans and sold them this gizmo for $25,000 used industrial noise standards, which specify 'A' weighting. The bass was roaring at 110dB plus in the FOH and the meter system, set at 100dB, being 'A' weighted never measured it. :huh:

In any event if your venues meter is 'A' weighted it will never know you're there anyway.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

There is always the ruse of running an extension lead to another socket that [i]isn't[/i] controlled by the noise meter. I once had to do this because I found there was no earth on the socket we were supposed to use! (I always carry a ring-main tester with me.)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1361701601' post='1989331']
I once had to do this because I found there was no earth on the socket we were supposed to use! (I always carry a ring-main tester with me.)
[/quote]

Now this is an idea with legs.

Especially if you rig the tester beforehand so that it shows what you want it to show ...

Use loads of extension leads, so no one can see what happening and run the main one to the kitchen or where there is an unaffected mains supply.

A lot of the older sound controllers used a cheap mic that had a switch on it. If you switch this mic off, the traffic lights would still work but wouldn't shut the power off. I don't know why.

Most of these units are not effected by bass but ping a cymbal and it'll cut the power.

Good luck!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1361702562' post='1989345']
The real cunning plan would be to get hold of a drummer who can play quietly.

Proper drummers can alter their volume.

I'd rather take the Compact. It'll sound better at low volume.
[/quote]
It ain't me that's hiring the drummer!

There's no guarantee of being able to get into the loading area, so another part of my cunning plan is to park in the free car park 5 minutes' walk away, and walk it in one go. Mrs Axe can carry my stage clothes, I'll handle the rest!

I hate those things.
How to ruin a valve amp in one rim-shot!
Whenever i see one of these now I request that either we get a supply to the stage which is not on the meter, or the venue reimburses the cost of revalving and repairing our amps. We usually get the extension lead. The lights can run off the meter.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1361746127' post='1990332'] In the past I have put several layers of duct tape over the microphone on the sound limiter. None of the staff noticed and I forgot to take the tape off after the gig. Oooops. Frank. [/quote]

I fear the mic is at such an altitude that this would be impracticable and/or highly perilous! Anyway it's the final rehearsal tomorrow, in front of a few of our respective family members - can't wait to see the reaction to the Midget (that's the speaker cab btw, not Mrs Axe, tho' she is only 5'2'').

I have the Midget and TC Classic in my practice room, so my gigging and practice sounds are the same. I gave the rig 8 hours of 25hz and it is sounding very nice! I used this rig at tonight's rehearsal but I'll save a full review till after Saturday's gig.

Well... everything got plugged into a socket off-stage that wasn't controlled by the Devil's Traffic Lights, but we didn't trip it all night anyway! Vocals and acoustic guitars went though Bose L1, electronic drums through small PA. The Midget acquitted itself admirably (full review to follow) - you can just make it out in the pictures!
[attachment=128976:2013-03-02 19.30.37.jpg]