Why become a member? ×

Having a custom bass ordered... help me choose!

mcnach

That recent visit to my luthier friend had some unanticipated results.
I have been trying to push him towards the electric world, and since last time I saw him he has built two electric guitars!
So... after a bit of a chat, I decided this year I'm getting a bass made.

It's not going to be anything fancy with regards to woods, or strange shapes... and it will not have a million pickups with a fancy switching system... no, it's just going to be a bass that's, well, mine... but obviously it's got to be a little different from what I could just buy in a shop. No point getting him to replicate a Stingray, right?

Very early days of the basic design, and he is checking what woods he can get, so that we can make a few decisions.

So far, these are my ideas, but if you have some cool variation suggestions I would love to hear them!

The neck... should be maple/maple. I really like maple fingerboards, so that's pretty much set.
No fretmarkers, except *perhaps* some design at the 12th fret, which could be related to my band. Or not. There will be black dots on the side 'though.
Headstock? That's an interesting one. I like the 3+1 configuration, so a Stingray style comes to mind... but I might want to alter it a bit so that it's not an obvious copy. Here is somewhere where I will look online for ideas... and would love to hear about any creative ideas.
The neck dimensions will be based on my favourite 2003 MM SUB.

It will be a bolt-on design. It makes things easier, and I like bolt-on instruments.

The body... it will be some kind of double cutaway shape, with a top horn reaching the 12th fret or so, to ensure reasonable balance... The shape itself will likely be similar to a Precision/Stingray/L2000... I would like to come up with something a bit more distinct, but not outlandish...
Wood? Probably ash, and finished in oil, natural. But we will look at what woods he has available and we will see. But the finish will be a simple oil finish and I'm not after tremendously figured tops or anything.
Probably pickguard-less.
Maybe not.

Whatever I do, it will have a John East MMSR 3-band preamp on it.

Pickups?
Undecided.
But it will be reasonably simple.
I'm thinking mostly one of
a) single P pickup, reverse configuration (DG coil on top), placed at the Stingray's pickup position.
or
B) two Jazz pickups, quite close together, at around the Stingray's pickup position... and in this case, I would probably hard wire both pickups in series and that's it... but I will try it for sound and if I found that having a pickup selector and/or a parallel/series switch was a good idea... then I would do that, but it has to be worth it, I don't care for lots of different tones from this bass, I just want a basic one that is good, and then use the preamp to modify it slightly if/when needed.

Probably without a control plate... but I really like big chrome control plates... so I might explore that, if I found somewhere that could make me a single one and was not too expensive.

Hopefully you get the idea of what I'm after...

Choosing a body shape, wood, and headstock is quite complicated... trying to come up with something classy and different, but not too different!

I wish I were any good at Photoshop! :)

Have a look at the grain on my headless - cherry wood - looks even better in real life:

[IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/Mark%20Wood%20headless%20Custom/bassesinthesnow008.jpg[/IMG]

Don't know why we don't see more luthiers using it.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1361569236' post='1987878']
Have a look at the grain on my headless - cherry wood - looks even better in real life:

Don't know why we don't see more luthiers using it.
[/quote]

That's really nice!
Is it a heavy wood? It "looks" heavy.
I know, I know... how on Earth can it *look* heavy or light from a picture? :lol:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1361569729' post='1987888']
Sounding good dude! Pickup configuration I would go for myself would be MM in the usual place, and P pickup, also in the usual place (but reverse as you mentioned). Best of both worlds then!
[/quote]

That's something I toyed with with a Sue Ryder P bass I was stripping... but I really am a "bridge pickup man". I like also having that space above the pickup (as on a Stingray)... not going for versatility here, but for a good useful sound that's not an exact copy of anything else I have. I like the P closer to the bridge than usual, and that's the winning configuration in my head so far. Simple. Although the two J is an intriguing option (similar to various Warwick basses), and visually prettier...

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1361607683' post='1988118']
Sounds exciting, would love to do this.

Unless you are very confident of the band being a long term thing, maybe something different at the twelve fret position would be a better plan. Your initials maybe?

Anyway, keep us posted with pics and a build diary.
[/quote]

ha ha, yeah, the thought of having the bass finished when I'm no longer in that band crossed my mind...
It's been the "most special" band I have ever been in, and I can think of it as a wonderful memento of my time with the band and how much fun I had, if when I leave or the band dissolves, it's done amicably. If, however, we have a big fall out... I might hate seen that on the bass, it's true :lol:
Yeah, not really sure about that one. It may just be some abstract design.

and yes, there will be a thread with pictures of the process, of course. The guy lives and works about an hour from me, but I'd be visiting regularly... he makes a nice coffee ;)

The warmoth page does have some useful things, thanks!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1361651601' post='1988921']

That's really nice!
Is it a heavy wood? It "looks" heavy.
I know, I know... how on Earth can it *look* heavy or light from a picture? :lol:
[/quote]

The bass weighs less than 10lb and that includes a headless tuning system that weighs more 1lb. From the point of view of the timber, it's beauty in a lightweight package..

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1361653017' post='1988947']
The bass weighs less than 10lb and that includes a headless tuning system that weighs more 1lb. From the point of view of the timber, it's beauty in a lightweight package..
[/quote]

can we see a picture from the front? just because I like to stare at pretty instruments :)

Hmm interesting. You know if I were you I would have a talk with Alan at ACG over in Moffat. I would'nt just choose a luthier because he wasnt too far away from where I live. Its also important to choose a maker who is known to produce top quality and desireable/wanted instruments. An un-named one off isnt really worth much on the second-hand market should you wish to pass it on in times to come. You will probably (I'd say definately) end up losing an awful lot of beer tokens at a later date, so be careful man.

Food for thought. But I wish you good luck which ever way you decide to go. All best.

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1361656307' post='1989033']
Hmm interesting. You know if I were you I would have a talk with Alan at ACG over in Moffat. I would'nt just choose a luthier because he wasnt too far away from where I live. Its also important to choose a maker who is known to produce top quality and desireable/wanted instruments. An un-named one off isnt really worth much on the second-hand market should you wish to pass it on in times to come. You will probably (I'd say definately) end up losing an awful lot of beer tokens at a later date, so be careful man.

Food for thought. But I wish you good luck which ever way you decide to go. All best.
[/quote]

I chose this guy because I like him, have known him for about 4 years now, and I wanted *him* to make me one. It was not about just getting the best bass for my money, if you see what I mean. Of course I want a great bass, and I am sure I will get something nice.
:)
He has done work for me in the past, some very simple (for him), some not so much... and we have a rapport. His work building acoustic instruments is really really nice. He will do a good job of whatever I end up telling him to do. No doubt about that.

You are totally right about the second hand value. I'm very aware of that. That's why I want to make sure I get something I will really like.
I'm sure I could get somebody else who has experience building electric basses and who would give me something really nice in the end, but I am sure the whole process would be a lot more impersonal. I know this guy, I like him and his work... I will have fun visiting him and I want him to go over to the dark side (electric), so this is one way to getting him to accept it ;)
Then, when my band becomes big and famous, I said I'll pay him a retainer to be my bass guy... he replied "your bitch, you mean". :lol:

Nah, it's got to be this guy.

Check out this video:
[media]http://vimeo.com/51392668[/media]

and his site:
[url="http://www.taranguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.taranguitars.co.uk/[/url]

I met him a few years ago when I needed some basic work on a bass, and he had just started properly with his own workshop and had ads in gumtree, offering setups etc as a way to supplement his income, since he wasn't selling that many guitars initially. He had never worked with a bass before, but it's essentially a guitar, isn't it? He grabbed me by how passionate he was, and over the next few months I had various other basses and guitars set up by him, putting new nuts in, doing a bit of woodwork in some cases, he converted two of my basses to fretless too... and everytime I went to see him we'd be chatting about guitars, about music, he'd show me what he was working on, talk to me through the various bits of wood he had sourced and demonstrating the effect they can have on an acoustic guitar etc...

My custom made bass will have to be a Taran bass... which means Thunder I believe, so that's quite appropriate, for a bass, isn't it? ;)

edit: don't get me wrong, I appreciate your words and where you are coming from! I think your view is very wise. I guess I hadn't made clear that I was not just after a custom made bass, I was after Rory (Taran Guitars) making me a bass.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1361656238' post='1989030']
Why not get the band to sign or initial it inside the pickup cavity, I made a thinline telecaster and got my wife and children to sign and date it inside the body cavity. It doesn't detract from the looks, but I know it's there
[/quote]

That's a sweet idea.
I think if I made one I'd probably like something like that. Or you hear of guys who let their young kids paint the box of the new pedal they have made.

I think if/when a time comes that I need to leave the band and we're all friendly like we are all now, I'd probably like them to sign maybe the back of my bass, and lacquer it so that it does not rub off. This band has been quite special and dear to me (and still is!). That could happen to this bass. Maybe. I like hearing all these ideas, thanks!

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1361656479' post='1989035']
My twin neck was made from cherry, it's not at all heavy, the only negative is that it's not very hard wearing, easily dented or scratched.
I oiled the wood with linseed oil so it came out a darker colour.

[/quote]

THAT wood is beautiful, thanks!
I will definitely talk about cherry with Rory...

How very out of character :blink: So the proletariat 'I like a good honest bass, no fancy woods, the working mans bass and Ill do it all myself with honest blood sweat and tears' guy has turned into the 'I say my man knock me up a bass as I wish will you theres a good fella Ill be back in a week so jump to it'. :lol: ;)

Dodgey one with the SBK logo but it could work. You might have to explain it quit alot through gritted teeth if it does go pear shaped with the band. Your call!
I pondered Cherry a while back and yes it does 'look' heavy! I know what you mean but it isnt and as Dom in Somerset says its quit soft so an oil finish isnt the best thing for it. Looks very nice though. A very good grade of Ash might be a good call since it will have a good texture and grain but nothing too OTT. If you get your 'bitch' to contour the top slightly from side to side you will get a nice wave figure.
Headstock - how about a reverse Ray? Hmmm maybe not. Or a subtle 'double fin' Ray style, a bit like the Ryder?

Pickups - Well if you want something thats nothing like what youve got already (and lets face it - theres not many configurations you havent got!!) how about just a piezo? It will be a very clean uncoloured sound that you can then colour with your pre and amp and with your newfound fetish for pedals you can have a field day knowing that your not trying to alter an already coloured signal.

Just a few thoughts for you to ponder over a brandy and cigar in the Library. :P

A

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1361655548' post='1989013']
can we see a picture from the front? just because I like to stare at pretty instruments :)
[/quote]

Here's a photo of it in the snow last year...best I can do for the moment..strangely enough I hadn't noticed that the Cherry was soft but then I try to look after my gear and not put it in risky situations.

I've just had a thought..have you thought about going headless?? I've got a headless system in a box sitting doing nothing if you're interested..

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1361700233' post='1989317']
How very out of character :blink: So the proletariat 'I like a good honest bass, no fancy woods, the working mans bass and Ill do it all myself with honest blood sweat and tears' guy has turned into the 'I say my man knock me up a bass as I wish will you theres a good fella Ill be back in a week so jump to it'. :lol: ;)

Dodgey one with the SBK logo but it could work. You might have to explain it quit alot through gritted teeth if it does go pear shaped with the band. Your call!
I pondered Cherry a while back and yes it does 'look' heavy! I know what you mean but it isnt and as Dom in Somerset says its quit soft so an oil finish isnt the best thing for it. Looks very nice though. A very good grade of Ash might be a good call since it will have a good texture and grain but nothing too OTT. If you get your 'bitch' to contour the top slightly from side to side you will get a nice wave figure.
Headstock - how about a reverse Ray? Hmmm maybe not. Or a subtle 'double fin' Ray style, a bit like the Ryder?

Pickups - Well if you want something thats nothing like what youve got already (and lets face it - theres not many configurations you havent got!!) how about just a piezo? It will be a very clean uncoloured sound that you can then colour with your pre and amp and with your newfound fetish for pedals you can have a field day knowing that your not trying to alter an already coloured signal.

Just a few thoughts for you to ponder over a brandy and cigar in the Library. :P

A
[/quote]

:lol: loved your input!
well, it's still no fancy woods, no bling or terribly figured tops... I think I can still pull it off regarding "proletariat cred" :P

Yes, the SBK is a dangerous bet. Not really sure about that.
Ash is still my favoured choice. I'm familiar with it and I like it. But I'll keep my mind open. Not too worried about a bit of honest "relicing" if the wood is soft.

Double fin headstock? Aha, you hit something there!!! That idea has gone straight to the list of features to explore. There is something there, for sure. :) Thanks!

Piezo... if it were a fretless it would be a serious option, but I'm not sure I would want a purely piezo system on this.

Hmmm, I nearly ran out of brandy! Time to get the servants to the shops...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1361701786' post='1989333']
Here's a photo of it in the snow last year...best I can do for the moment..strangely enough I hadn't noticed that the Cherry was soft but then I try to look after my gear and not put it in risky situations.

I've just had a thought..have you thought about going headless?? I've got a headless system in a box sitting doing nothing if you're interested..
[/quote]

Nice looking wood on that bass, thanks! :)

I'm afraid headless looks too futuristic (or retro, depending on my mood :lol:) for me. Although I have a habit of hitting things with my headstock, maybe I should explore that option sometime! :lol:

I've never met the guy but Rory only stays 10 minutes away from me. I did find his website a few months back and was keen to pay him a wee visit as I need a repair done on my acoustic guitar at some point. Good luck with the build and let me know how it goes as I'd be keen to use Taran Guitars as well. Cheers.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1361725494' post='1989905']
I've never met the guy but Rory only stays 10 minutes away from me. I did find his website a few months back and was keen to pay him a wee visit as I need a repair done on my acoustic guitar at some point. Good luck with the build and let me know how it goes as I'd be keen to use Taran Guitars as well. Cheers.
[/quote]

If you need any work done, do not hesitate! Great guy, and very handy with all things guitar.

Hi. Thanks for your thoughtful reply to my comments. Understanding the situation more fully now, I can really see where you are coming from. Go ahead and do it. I think I would if I felt the way you do. He is obviously very well thought of as he has done much work for you before. Yeah, just do it. Seems good to me. All best.