Why become a member? ×

Combo or Stack?

ReeV0

Hi agen,
I've made a list of pros and cons for buying either a stack or a combo. Please let me know what you think and if you have anything else to add to my list.
Many thanks

[u]Combo[/u]

pros:
handle to wheel it around
all-in-one package
only requires one person when moving it

cons:
more expensive
heavier
bigger
only locks in the front

[u]Stack[/u]

pros:
cheaper
ligher
smaller
locks in all 4 corners

cons:
have to carry the amp separately
no handle to wheel it around
casters arnt very efficient
will probably require two people when moving it

I've never seen any stack of the same gear being cheaper than the equivalent combo.
You'd need to take a closer look & see how sound quality & such factors compare.
Before I got my combo I was looking at some stacks & decided what I have now is the best option for me overall. I plan to add either a 1x15 cab or a 4x10 cab (which would be like having a 6x10 stack that's 500 watt with a lot of db's), but to be honest, I doubt I'll ever need it with my current setup. :)

[quote name='jjl5590' post='204957' date='May 23 2008, 01:47 PM']..... and I could add another Neo 212 cab to the combo if i wanted.[/quote]

You can also do that if you go for the stack :) All down to personal preference really. You can always change the wheels on the cabs to something more user friendly like David Nimrod fits on his BFM cabs.

Hamster

You left out the most important consideration, which is sound. Combos almost always sound inferior, for two reasons. In the low frequencies they use smaller cabinet volumes for the drivers contained within, and smaller boxes result in less output and extension. In the midrange 2x combos place the drivers on the horizontal plane, and that results in poor midrange response and dispersion.

lol sorry guys. but this rig is gonna cost me like £1000 so i gotta get it right

[quote]You left out the most important consideration, which is sound. Combos almost always sound inferior, for two reasons. In the low frequencies they use smaller cabinet volumes for the drivers contained within, and smaller boxes result in less output and extension. In the midrange 2x combos place the drivers on the horizontal plane, and that results in poor midrange response and dispersion.[/quote]
you say this, but the combo is exactly the same as the rig, just all kinda screwed together

[quote name='jjl5590' post='205138' date='May 23 2008, 12:42 PM']you say this, but the combo is exactly the same as the rig, just all kinda screwed together[/quote]
That may be the case in some instances, but the vast majority of combos have a cabinet volume smaller than stacks for the drivers contained. That is very much not a good thing. One of the major shortcomings of most cabs is the use of too small a box for the drivers within. Going even smaller in a combo makes a marginal situation worse.

Depends what types of gigs you do-

with my wedding band, my cab is on a stand angled up towards me facing away from the crowd as a monitor with my rack to the side on a keyboard stand.

with my pub covers band, there is no pa so I turn the cab around to face the audience and still have my rack next to me.

Works everytime. I've never been underpowered for a gig with what i have.

I've always prefered stacks, as BFM has said, larger cabs, bigger sound. Having said that the cab I'm using at the mo, has a digital amp built in, 1000w at 4 ohms and it totally twats anything I've had before. I just use a preamp to drive it. But in general, stacks sound far better and if one part breaks down, then it's not all bad, as opposed to a combo.

[quote name='Merton' post='207122' date='May 27 2008, 11:22 AM']Put it this way, I use combos at the moment (and love them) but I'm always toying with the idea of going back to a head+cab set up. Make of that what you will![/quote]
Me too. Now I'd buy a stack though, with Class D SMPS amp and (multiple?) lightweight neo cabs.

Edited by johnnylager

Also, depending on the kind of gig you do, if your playing support slots at rock/alt nights, the headlining/main band tend to provide the back line (not always) to save on space. This then means if you have separates, you can roll in with just a head under your arm and borrow other cabs. This is obviously a lot lighter and easier to transport than a combo.

Edited by BassBalls