Why become a member? ×

Ever seen a bodge this bad?

I've been investigating a weird crackling in my V950B... I took the cover off the controls section and found the pickups had been disconnected sometime by cutting the wires and then reconnecting them by wrapping the exposed ends together and using insulation tape to hold the joins together... no solder at all... I think the pickups had been replaced sometime without taking advantage of the proper connectors on the PCB...

No photos yet... I'll take them when I strip it back to do a proper fix (soldering the twists and then using insulation tape...)

Is this the new "Mark II" EMG quick connect system?
I've heard that Alembic do something similar, too. Makes chopping and changing pick-ups and EQs in and out a lot easier.
I wish I could afford these boutique electrics / connectors.
I didn't know WH Smith and Woolworths sold them, though... :)

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='204727' date='May 23 2008, 07:48 AM']I've been investigating a weird crackling in my V950B... I took the cover off the controls section and found the pickups had been disconnected sometime by cutting the wires and then reconnecting them by wrapping the exposed ends together and using insulation tape to hold the joins together... no solder at all... I think the pickups had been replaced sometime without taking advantage of the proper connectors on the PCB...

No photos yet... I'll take them when I strip it back to do a proper fix (soldering the twists and then using insulation tape...)[/quote]

Yep that was standard Vintage construction at the time - my V940FL was the same.