Why become a member? ×

Illegal downloading, file-sharing and what i think- what do you think?

MiltyG565

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1361187918' post='1982335']
Out of interest how much of your current "success" is built on your previous 10 years at EMI and contacts you made in the business from that time?
[/quote]

What's interesting is how many of those contacts have become completely irrelevant. I've moved one train station away now, but 2 years ago, I could walk a hundred yards down the road from my house and have pro CD replication done (while I waited one time), go home and print off labels from my pc of people who wanted them who'd been in touch via the internet and distribute them all over the world from the post office next door. And hard media like that is only for the paying sorts, all of that cost and effort is negated by making the music available for download. Additionally, where I live now, there are two pro studios within walking distance, and once I have the recordings from there, I can send them literally anywhere in the world for mixing and mastering. The only two things standing in the way of making all the relevant contacts is not putting the effort in, and not having music of any interest to them.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1361190918' post='1982404']
I seem to have stolen a cold from someone this morning. :lol:
[/quote]

This is basically how I feel about 90% of music I hear for free.

As for the vinyl thing, tape releases are being one a fair bit now.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361197842' post='1982568']
Too late! :lol:
[/quote]

Hah, very much so!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361197701' post='1982565']
I can't really explain why that is so wrong on almost every level without coming across as a really smug git, so I'll just suggest that there are far worse ways to earn a rather decent living.
[/quote]

So my opinion on what i think of IT as a career is also wrong?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1361198500' post='1982582']
I just checked the ID tags on mp3s and there isn't a price field there either.
[/quote]

Why would there be a price tag on a file format? that would be stupid. The price tag is on the sites that you download music from, like iTunes. But sure, why bother paying? we've already established that there is next to no chance that you would ever get any form of charges brought against you for it, so you might as well, eh? i mean, because you can, you should, yeah?

There's a gun in this house. Maybe i should grab it and start firing shells off everywhere? y'know, it's within my means, so why not?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1361201522' post='1982641']
Why would there be a price tag on a file format? that would be stupid. The price tag is on the sites that you download music from, like iTunes. But sure, why bother paying? we've already established that there is next to no chance that you would ever get any form of charges brought against you for it, so you might as well, eh? i mean, because you can, you should, yeah?

There's a gun in this house. Maybe i should grab it and start firing shells off everywhere? y'know, it's within my means, so why not?
[/quote]

It has the tag there for info, if someone is so desperate keen for there to be a price tag, then it can have one, but it doesn't, much like, as you point out, a cold doesn't have a price tag. It it is replicatable, like the cold virus, chances are I don't want it, like the cold virus, it can be passed between people without the person passing it on ceasing to have it, like the cold virus and like the cold virus, it has no price tag. Now explain which bit is similar to randomly firing a gun that you have.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1361206967' post='1982780']
It has the tag there for info, if someone is so desperate keen for there to be a price tag, then it can have one, but it doesn't, much like, as you point out, a cold doesn't have a price tag. It it is replicatable, like the cold virus, chances are I don't want it, like the cold virus, it can be passed between people without the person passing it on ceasing to have it, like the cold virus and like the cold virus, it has no price tag. Now explain which bit is similar to randomly firing a gun that you have.
[/quote]

Sorry, i don't take orders.

Yeah, smallpox was passed from person to person, in much the same way that a cold is. In fact, loads of things are, especially viruses. HIV for one. Aren't all these things horrible, horrible diseases? Why yes, yes they are. (apart from a cold. At worst, it's annoying).

Why would you draw a parallel with such horrible things?

[/quote]

Well why not then? Whats the point of having a gun if you aren't going to use it?

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1361207664' post='1982798']
Well why not then? Whats the point of having a gun if you aren't going to use it?
[/quote]

It's not my gun. Why wouldn't i go on a mad gun rampage? Well, i'm reasonably stable mentally. I'm fairly unstable physically. I don't hate anybody enough to kill them, and it is illegal.

Like i have said before, if people think they will get away with something, they will do it. It doesn't make it right, even if it is legal.

[/quote]

As long as you remember to focus :lol:

I don't know why you are getting so upset about something that is beyond all our control and doesn't affect you or anyone you know.
Things are as they are, the world has changed and it will keep changing, so why not relax, accept the reality and make the most of it?

Just a well meant suggestion - I don't want to argue and I'm afraid to upset you, especially now I know you're armed :o

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1361208685' post='1982825']
As long as you remember to focus :lol:

I don't know why you are getting so upset about something that is beyond all our control and doesn't affect you or anyone you know.
Things are as they are, the world has changed and it will keep changing, so why not relax, accept the reality and make the most of it?

Just a well meant suggestion - I don't want to argue and I'm afraid to upset you, especially now I know you're armed :o
[/quote]

Lol, because i'm incredibly tired. I would go to sleep, but i have a bass lesson in an hour.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1361208286' post='1982815']

Like i have said before, if people think they will get away with something, they will do it. It doesn't make it right, even if it is legal.
[/quote]

Really? I think you find most people have a very strong sense of morals. Not everyone's morals are the same but "whether you can get away with something" is not a major factor in most people's decision making process.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1361213540' post='1982946']
Really? I think you find most people have a very strong sense of morals. Not everyone's morals are the same but "whether you can get away with something" is not a major factor in most people's decision making process.
[/quote]

Mmmm, it seems to be. Loads of people speed and drink drive because they think they won't get caught. You're right, people do have a strong sense of morals.