Why become a member? ×

Favourite Bassline YOU have written and recorded

xilddx

Probably this demo I still havent got around to turning into a "song". I could really probably do with taking each section and developing into it's own idea. Bass doesnt start until about 1.40. My favourite bit of bassing is around 3.40 - it's a bit Kate Bush-y in terms of the melody I reckon.

[font="Segoe UI"][size="2"][color="#000000"][url="http://soundcloud.com/wil-miles/weird-demo-12th-may"]http://soundcloud.com/wil-miles/weird-demo-12th-may[/url][/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361283614' post='1983845']
Something I'm getting from this thread is that not a lot of us are making creative use of space. It's like any space that's there is a decision to take away notes.

Most of the time I tend to approach writing lines as adding notes to space, rather than adding space to notes. If that makes sense. Am I in the minority?
[/quote]

For me, it all depend on the tune and what the starting point is. The example I posted developed from the main bass line - it is pretty driving and busy, although I still have to reign it in sometimes as it's easy to over egg, especially live!

There are other songs, especially the ones that Jo wrote on the piano where I have deliberately aimed for a more minimal approach, and I hope I have achieved that. Space is just as important as what you choose to fill it with...

There is always a tendancy on these kind of things to post something 'flashy' I guess...maybe that's why you are getting this impression?

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1361285316' post='1983891']
Probably this demo I still havent got around to turning into a "song". I could really probably do with taking each section and developing into it's own idea. Bass doesnt start until about 1.40. My favourite bit of bassing is around 3.40 - it's a bit Kate Bush-y in terms of the melody I reckon.

[font=Segoe UI][size=2][color=#000000][url="http://soundcloud.com/wil-miles/weird-demo-12th-may"]http://soundcloud.co...d-demo-12th-may[/url][/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

Great stuff. I love where the bass kicks in. Liking the deep tone, nice lines and a good bit of excitement later on. You must be pleased with that mate :)

My favourite bassline in any of my bands originals, is a song called Lying Through My Teeth. There is a recording but it's the worst recording ever and you can't hear the bass on it (Though i'll add it to this anyway when i get home). Just a pretty simple thing involving a few octaves and some hammer ons for good measure.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1361287304' post='1983937']
My favourite bassline in any of my bands originals, is a song called Lying Through My Teeth. There is a recording but it's the worst recording ever and you can't hear the bass on it (Though i'll add it to this anyway when i get home). Just a pretty simple thing involving a few octaves and some hammer ons for good measure.

Liam
[/quote]

I like that number, but Never Get His Turn is my favourite :)

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361287052' post='1983934']
Great stuff. I love where the bass kicks in. Liking the deep tone, nice lines and a good bit of excitement later on. You must be pleased with that mate :)
[/quote]

Thanks Nige. Kinda pleased with it, certainly happy with each section isolated, but also displeased that I havent got any inspiration to finish it/turn it into something that works as a song! :)

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1361286479' post='1983922']
For me, it all depend on the tune and what the starting point is. The example I posted developed from the main bass line - it is pretty driving and busy, although I still have to reign it in sometimes as it's easy to over egg, especially live!

There are other songs, especially the ones that Jo wrote on the piano where I have deliberately aimed for a more minimal approach, and I hope I have achieved that. Space is just as important as what you choose to fill it with...

There is always a tendancy on these kind of things to post something 'flashy' I guess...maybe that's why you are getting this impression?
[/quote]
Yes, absolutely, the song is king.

You are probably right but I hope you aren't! There is a lot of posturing by us bassists on BC, how we are the sensible ones in the band, dependable, playing multiple roles, reliable, philosophical, etc. not like the f***ing "guitard" who's always showing off, too loud, doesn't listen to the band, etc. I would hope that the true bass composer shines on this thread, rather than the rilly rilly ree show off soloist in us. Certainly seems to have done so far.

I was just pointing out that space is rare, and it seems to be a highly effective but neglected tool in the bassist's snap-on box.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1361287905' post='1983952']
Thanks Nige. Kinda pleased with it, certainly happy with each section isolated, but also displeased that I havent got any inspiration to finish it/turn it into something that works as a song! :)
[/quote]
It will happen eventually mate if you want it to.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361283282' post='1983837']
I like this aswell, it shares many of the qualities of achknalligewelt's song (above). And again, some really nice manic phrasing :D I like it there's a tangible level of excitement where timing seems less important than the vibe, a bit like Alex Lifeson guitar solos, he gets a bit out of shape and almost on the edge of losing it, I find that very exciting to listen to. You do a fast little run in the middle of the neck in the first half of the song, it has that manic quality to it. Nice!
[/quote]
Thanks for the comments. Manic would be a good way to describe what we do, but it does seem to come across well in a live situation. We are coming to the Uk in August for a mini tour I'll keep you all posted.

[quote name='Benplaysbass' timestamp='1361288504' post='1983966']
Thanks for the comments. Manic would be a good way to describe what we do, but it does seem to come across well in a live situation. We are coming to the Uk in August for a mini tour I'll keep you all posted.
[/quote]

Oh it will definitely sound good live!

Keep us informed of the tour mate.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361287901' post='1983951']
I like that number, but Never Get His Turn is my favourite :)
[/quote]

It bored the hell out of me until i added that section. Never Get His Turn is one of our favourites as well, especially after we completely re-wrote it and added some uhh... interesting features (A big dubstep style breakdown which allows me to use excessive amounts of fuzz combined with an envelope filter and a wah). Always goes down a treat live.

Liam

Some good stuff on here.
I think my favourite bassline ive written AND recorded is here:

[url="http://www.myspace.com/theomegablend"]http://www.myspace.com/theomegablend[/url]

Its my old band, and im on all the recordings, but my favourite is a song called Funk Shui (hence my name).
Not because its especially good, but because i just really enjoyed playing it with the other boys in the band at the time.
Hope you enjoy too

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1361288931' post='1983972']
It bored the hell out of me until i added that section. [b]Never Get His Turn is one of our favourites as well, especially after we completely re-wrote it and added some uhh... interesting features (A big dubstep style breakdown which allows me to use excessive amounts of fuzz combined with an envelope filter and a wah). Always goes down a treat live.[/b]

Liam
[/quote]

That sounds like a great idea! Any recordings?

This thread got me looking back through some old stuff i've recorded. This one is from when i was 18 (1997). It was my favourite for a long time, I was more technically minded then. We stopped playing this tune when the Red Hot Chilli Peppers released By The Way, cos it made it look like we nicked a bit eventhough we wrote it 5 yrs previous.

I think it's still pretty cool, tho you can tell we're young. Great guitar riff tho, starts on a diminished chord then ascending seventh chords.

https://soundcloud.com/dreaded-ted/freaks

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361307270' post='1984399']
Ahhhh, splendid youthful exhuberance :D I'm digging that! You're right, it does sound like early Chilis a bit, mostly the vox and the riff. Really enjoyed that mate, nice bass, pick?
[/quote]
Cheers!
Pick? Oh yeah! I only played pick back then. Apart from when i did theatre stuff. Nowadays i switch between fingers and pick dependant on what i'm playing. But when it's Rock it's always pick, unless it's a ballad!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1361308696' post='1984431']
Cheers!
Pick? Oh yeah! I only played pick back then. Apart from when i did theatre stuff. Nowadays i switch between fingers and pick dependant on what i'm playing. But when it's Rock it's always pick, unless it's a ballad!
[/quote]

I'm pretty much the same, but my gigs are fingers and my own stuff is often pick.

That's a cracking line in Freaks and a great sound too - certainly dwarfs the Clash/Jam knockoffs we were putting out when I was 18 in '91.

Like yourself, this thread had me looking on my backup hard disc and most of my recorded output has been synth-related lunacy. I did, however find this 'rarity' from 2009. A mate's band forum would have a covers challenge every month, with the winner picking the song.

For almost all my entries, I'd do a synth version, until the choice fell on an already synth-heavy tune in Rufus & Chaka Khan's 'Ain't Nobody'. I put down my synths, save for a nice Rhodes electric piano sound on my digital piano and some organ from the Roland VK-8 clonewheel I had at the time. I added some strat (middle pickup) and bass came courtesy of my bitsa P-bass with rounds, played fingerstyle through a Fender Rumble 60 combo. The guitar 'solo' is just something that fell out while I was playing so I kept it in.

https://soundcloud.com/greenalsatian/nobody

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1361309652' post='1984462']
Yeah, i watch some of your live stuff with Kit and noticed,it was really good. I also noticed your fantastic trousers. Cool :)
[/quote]

:lol: I am still trying to work out if Kit dislikes the trousers :D They are not exactly in keeping with the band 'look' except that they are black!

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1361309105' post='1984442']
That's a cracking line in Freaks and a great sound too - certainly dwarfs the Clash/Jam knockoffs we were putting out when I was 18 in '91.

Like yourself, this thread had me looking on my backup hard disc and most of my recorded output has been synth-related lunacy. I did, however find this 'rarity' from 2009. A mate's band forum would have a covers challenge every month, with the winner picking the song.

For almost all my entries, I'd do a synth version, until the choice fell on an already synth-heavy tune in Rufus & Chaka Khan's 'Ain't Nobody'. I put down my synths, save for a nice Rhodes electric piano sound on my digital piano and some organ from the Roland VK-8 clonewheel I had at the time. I added some strat (middle pickup) and bass came courtesy of my bitsa P-bass with rounds, played fingerstyle through a Fender Rumble 60 combo. The guitar 'solo' is just something that fell out while I was playing so I kept it in.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/greenalsatian/nobody"]https://soundcloud.c...alsatian/nobody[/url]
[/quote]
That's cool man. Smooth playing and sound too!

Another [url="http://snd.sc/XkgjXJ"]one[/url] from our Woodman Stone album. This has the bass mixed a bit louder, but it is a punkier number. I wanted to be somewhere between XTC and the Boo Radleys.

Incidentally, all of the tracks we did for this album were DI'd into the desk and an amp sim, played on a cheap Squire Jazz with a guitar pick. I'm not a gear fiend, partly because I like to let my fingers do the talking, and mostly because I can't afford to be.

This is a rough-ish recording made at rehearsals recently on the GT-R1, something we've knocked around a few times. It came out of the blue and is a totally different style to anything we've played before which is normally rock based. I Just stomped around a bit on G then the guitarist played a folky type riff over it and started winging some lyrics. The bassline progresses as the song goes on ending in a slow walk or stroll if you like towards the end. Its still work in progress, but i like the feel and there are so many options, particularly in the chorus part.

Disclaimer. Try not to focus on the vocals or quality, basically we can't get a singer so the guitarist is having a go, if it works out we'll have a power trio, the best combo !

Patience

https://www.box.com/s/ku633k22zt0l65bzo2bx

Hope the link works ?

[quote name='jjay69' timestamp='1361700921' post='1989322']
This is a rough-ish recording made at rehearsals recently on the GT-R1, something we've knocked around a few times. It came out of the blue and is a totally different style to anything we've played before which is normally rock based. I Just stomped around a bit on G then the guitarist played a folky type riff over it and started winging some lyrics. The bassline progresses as the song goes on ending in a slow walk or stroll if you like towards the end. Its still work in progress, but i like the feel and there are so many options, particularly in the chorus part.

Disclaimer. Try not to focus on the vocals or quality, basically we can't get a singer so the guitarist is having a go, if it works out we'll have a power trio, the best combo !

Patience

[url="https://www.box.com/s/ku633k22zt0l65bzo2bx"]https://www.box.com/...k22zt0l65bzo2bx[/url]

Hope the link works ?
[/quote]

That's good man, that little fast descending part doesn't really add to the song for me though, it's always tempting to chuck in little parts like that that show you can play fast, but for me it's unnecessary as you are already playing well :) Good tone too.