Why become a member? ×

The older I get, the harder it is to listen to new bands.....

The Admiral

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1360577047' post='1972426']
Ok, maybe not all new music. :D I don't seem to be digging around so much finding new acts that inspire me, so it's the music that I do get to hear on the radio and TV. That's probably a big part of the problem I'm having, I need to start looking harder for good music.

I'm not arguing the fact that I come across as a miserable old git :lol: I'm a bit disgusted with myself for it and it's a fairly recent development for me too.

I'm also not saying that newer bands doing the same style of music as the stuff I listened to years ago are any worse, just that I've heard it before and doesn't give me that buzz / chills down the spine sensation of hearing something unexpected.
[/quote]

Yeh mate I do understand your point, always read my comments in the tone of a stoned news reader lol

But I just feel for the younger guys, these kids were not borne into a golden age of music, in most cases they were borne into an age where music is considered as disposable & throw away. They have a different approach to music, information & the world.

Our generation have to stop judging these kids with our set of rules because they are not their rules. that's why we have now got a generation gap far wider than we had with our parents.

Edited by fumps

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1360579366' post='1972475']
Yeh mate I do understand your point, always read my comments in the tone of a stoned news reader lol

But I just feel for the younger guys, these kids were not borne into a golden age of music, in most cases they were borne into an age where music is considered as disposable & throw away. They have a different approach to music, information & the world.

Our generation have to stop judging these kids with our set of rules because they are not their rules. that's why we have now got a generation gap far wider than we had with our parents.
[/quote]
In my experience, the so-called generation gap is much much smaller now between myself (61) and my son (19) and his friends than it ever was between myself and my father (with a similar age gap).

There's always been plagerism in music as in probably most other arts and crafts genres. It all boils down to whether those that come later put enough of 'themselves' into those influences to make something sufficiently fresh to bring in a new group of listeners or not. The older ones who recognise those influences are going to be harder to please. Younger generations might just like it for what it is and have never even heard the music that came before that influenced what they are currently listening to.
The longer music goes on for the more difficult it becomes for bands to show us something genuinely unique. Having recordings to reference makes it even tougher, somones always going to find some previous recording, obscure or not, that bares some characteristic of what is being toutd as 'new'.
We already have a huge thread on The Beatles so I'll use them as an example. Listen to early Beatles stuff and the Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochrane and Little Richard (among others) influences are all there. If they had just kept on knocking out imitations of those artists for the next 7 years we wouldn't be discussing them. They went on to develope at a rate utterly inconceivable in modern music and put their own stamp on popular music.
So personally I can hear influences of what went before insome modern bands but it's a personal guage at what point someone considers music influenced by others or a complete rip off with little new ideas coming in on top. All very subjective.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1360576258' post='1972406']
Sorry about this but. . . The sex pistols are so boring :)
I can obviously see how at the time it was new and refreshing but it certainly doesnt hold that freshness for very long.
I do like bands like bad brains as they mixed it up a bit. There's nothing worse than a band who's 'guitarists' can only play a few power chords. Very limited. Yes of course ALL music is affected by fashions but some of it will stay with us forever. Most pop rock will most definately not be. It isn't about intellectuality (word?) at all. Come on, Albeniz, Bach and Mozart can't be lumped in with the rest of any old 'music' ;)
I've listened to all forms of rock music throughout my life and there isn't a band in the world that doesnt become dated and boring after a while. For me anyway. Rock is so young in terms of music history. As is all modern media, tv, radio etc and will soon be forgotten as each new 'fad' comes along.. Instrumentalists will always be here,[color=#ff0000][b] Bands who write hits with the bare minimum of skills will not.[/b][/color]
Sorry if I seem to be a bit of a fascist. But I am :)
[/quote]

The only skills necessary are those you need to execute your vision.

And yes, the Pistols are bloody boring apart from a few songs. But they were interesting at the time.

Surely it's always been the same though, every generation takes inspiration from and builds on what's gone before. Modern bands might be borrowing a lot form Led Zep but didn't Led Zep borrow a lot from American Blues artists? And those American blues artists borrowed a lot from traditional folk songs, and you can probably go on and on until you end up with a monkey hitting a rock with a stick, and even he was probably just copying another monkey.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1360572824' post='1972337']
Right don't take this as a dig at anyone here because it really isn't but I went on a rant about music this weekend at a person saying pretty much the same thing as the OP, below is basically what I said to him, in a balanced laid back way, this is my opinion only & like all opinions it's how it come out of my head, not a well balanced perfectly researched argument.

The issue I have with this is that we hear older guys harp on about how the older bands (Like Zeppy-Beatles-Queen-Deep purple etc) are so much better & the style of music is far more superior but then get annoyed at new or younger bands pay homage to these very same bands.
I hear older guys say that new music is crap & they don't like it but them moan when young kids play music from the very same generation that is supposedly better......
I mean is there anything that younger bands/kids can do that is ok by the old gits nowadays ?

I personally love it when you get bands like Wolfmother who unashamedly show their love for Deep Purple & Led Zepplin, let them be true to who they are & bring this music to younger audiences, they are not hurting anyone, they are playing music that they love (Which just happens to be the music that older guys love too) If for instance some 12 year old kid listens to these newer bands & then checks out these bands influences, you are going to get kids being influenced by older bands who broke the mould in a fantastic way, is this a bad thing ? I don't really think that it is. I think to a point it's the "I was there maaaan" attitude that the oldies hold so dear.

Lets face it, through the saturated world of modern music, it's almost impossible to do something different, all you can hope for is something good & taking influences from the 60& 70's is no bad thing in my book.
[/quote]

I'm the OP and I agree with you on this - and I think I made it clear that I think RS are a great band, I wasn't having a pop at them, or suggesting that older bands were better than the current crop. I was merely reflecting on the fact that I seem to have hit this middle aged malaise - where everything seems so derivative. I think it's more an age thing and a failing on my part, if anybody, and I wondered if I was alone in this - and it would seem not.

Also, you are dead on when you make the point about the link between what you like - and working back to where it came from : I've found some fantastic stuff from Robert Johnson, Albert King, Howlin' Wolf, Davy Graham and Bert Jansch etc, working back from Zeppelin, Clapton and Steve Ray Vaughan.

With regard to the comments about listening to genres other than Rock - I do. I have a catholic taste when it comes to music and there are two camps - I either like it, or I don't. For example : I've posted on here asking for tips on jazz albums to try, as I wanted to broaden into wider areas, and following a typically well informed BC community steer, I've found Sonny Rollins, early Herbie Hancock and Theolonius Monk as a consequence. I'd also say that the best CDs I've bought so far this year are the Trojan collections, which at £5 each from Amazon are fantastic value, and show what you can achieve without Pro Tools, as most of the tracks were recorded on gear that was considered primitive at the time, let alone now - but it sounds great. I also think that an Akon CD which was suggested to me last year, was one of the best things I heard in 2012 and I also had a Northern Soul compilation and several folk albums on very regularly in the car.

I'd certainly rather the influences of some great bands came through because kids still listened to them, rather than them being lost forever and One Direction being the poster boys for aspiring 'musicians'.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1360604958' post='1973219']
... I'd certainly rather the influences of some great bands came through because kids still listened to them, rather than them being lost forever and One Direction being the poster boys for aspiring 'musicians'.
[/quote]
Like many others I am sure, my aspiring musician son and his aspiring musician friends listen to (and play) all sorts of new and old music but not One Direction.

Edited by EssentialTension