Why become a member? ×

Thunk'n'Knock

cytania

Was listlessly trying some Fenders in a shop the other day and was struck by the lack of 'knock', the feel of the string kicking back when you pluck it. Is this simply down to my favourite bass being singlecut and having a 5 piece neck making for greater stiffness and the thunk! factor. Or is there more to it?

I like my bass to feel alive, to jump and resonate, Fender style basses seam dead. Or do they liven up with use?

Actually the setup was pretty good. I don't like the hard paint on the bodies or the plastic pick guard, neither are very tactile, but I was struck by how the necks felt insubstantial. It's a feel thing, I'm not here to (ahem) knock Fender. But what makes for that feel? Mahogany on my bass, ash on the Fender clones...

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1360410536' post='1969901']
Actually the setup was pretty good. I don't like the hard paint on the bodies or the plastic pick guard, neither are very tactile, but I was struck by how the necks felt insubstantial. It's a feel thing, I'm not here to (ahem) knock Fender. But what makes for that feel? Mahogany on my bass, ash on the Fender clones...
[/quote]God mate, dont start that argument again ;) Woods and build quality do make a difference though. That's all I'll say on the matter.

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1360410536' post='1969901']
[/quote]

If you are used to the sound and feel of a modern - style bass with active electronics and made of exotic woods then a Fender bass is bound to sound and feel a bit strange to you . Your own bass is likely to have a more slick , hi fi kind of a sound compared to the more gutteral grunt of a Fender , and that might take some gettting used to . The paint and laquer on a Fender bass does have some effect on the overall sound , but not neccesarilly in a negative way . Hard laquer is a more reflective surface , and gives a brighter and slightly "harder " sound as a result . As others have mentioned , there is [i]huge [/i]variation between models and individual examples of Fender bass , and setup can make all the difference . Some people never warm to Fender basses , and good luck to those people , but my experience is that a good Fender is the most useful and satisfying bass to own and the most enjoyable to play .

Edited by Dingus

Agree. From a Fender enthusiast, I`d say you have to put more work in on them to get the sounds - it really is about how [u]you[/u] play with a Fender, as to what sounds come out. Whenever I play a more modern sounding/constructed bass I`m amazed at how easy the sounds come from it. But I like to have to work the bass to get the best out of it. Each to their own I suppose. I have played Fenders that are easier to get the sounds from than others - the 2008 onwards Precisions for example. Every one of these I`ve played resonates very well.

Thanks for your responses Lozz and Dingus. Very interesting point about the hard surfaces making for the Fender sound. I had a vague notion of commissioning a Jazz from John Shuker with the modern aspects I like but I can see now that would be missing the point.

Not seen much discussion of the Squier Deluxe Jazz here (which is what I was hoping to bump into at the NG&DC last week) does active electronics and a phenol board ruin the Fender vibe?

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1360428738' post='1970273']
Thanks for your responses Lozz and Dingus. Very interesting point about the hard surfaces making for the Fender sound. I had a vague notion of commissioning a Jazz from John Shuker with the modern aspects I like but I can see now that would be missing the point.

Not seen much discussion of the Squier Deluxe Jazz here (which is what I was hoping to bump into at the NG&DC last week) does active electronics and a phenol board ruin the Fender vibe?
[/quote]

I've never played that particular bass , but active electronics won't neccesarilly spoil the sound of the bass , but it will change it a bit in terms of giving you some different tonal options compared to a passive Fender . You can add a bit of bass to fatten the sound when you use the bridge pickup , for example . I prefer a passive Fender - style bass myself , but the active "super - Jazz " style bass is very popular at the moment , and lots of boutique makers such as John Shuker offer deluxe Fender - style basses . How Fender- ish they sound varies greatly , depending on the design and specification of the individual bass . As to how the phenolic board on the Squier will effect the sound , it will probably sound a little bit more snappy and bright than a rosewood board , but that in itself is not neccesarilly a bad thing . Also bear in mind that that extra brightness will soon be covered up in the overall sound when you play the bass with other instruments in a band setting .

Edited by Dingus

I think there are three things here...
one - they are constructed differently.
I think your bass has through body stringing and a stiff neck, all that is going to affect the feel - imagine it like a mountain bike's shock absorber. Your bass is a hard spring with no dampening, and a fender is a slightly softer spring with dampening. Both good but will ride differently. This analogy in basses- they will sound different as the different construction will effect the character of the attack and sustain of the note.

two they (usually are passive) - if your bass is active - I'm my experience, in my opinion etc - they sound slightly differently and react to your playing technique slightly differently. If you are used to one then the other will be odd to begin with.

and lastly. A lot of Fenders are crap, dull sounding rubbish. I've only found one or two new fenders that I would even think of buying- (one mexican, one Highway 1 and one american vintage) the rest have been just flaccid. A flat sounding fender isn't fun. I am aware this may just be down to the set up in shops.

So they are different... but you know that sound on that record you grew up listening too? That bass tone. That was a Fender bass tone, and yeah they are different - but what they can do - no other bass design can.

Thanks LukeFRC you're absolutely right about the Fender sound, it's why I keep considering one even though there are some 'difficult' aspects to them. I should really take my own advice that 'every guitar has something to teach you' and the Fender style is on my list. Maybe this year... if I still have a day job in April...

The other GAS driver has been the realisation that although my Spear S2 singlecut is a Korean maker trying to 'do boutique' it is actually well above spec compared to what they make now. There's an inch of walnut top and an inch of mahogany back, now they just put a 5mm walnut cap on. The electrics were 18v now they're 9v suggesting the 'is it Aguilar?' preamp is something else. Suddenly I realise that whatever it is I won't be able to get another one easily or cheaply. Must keep an eye on it at the pub gig next week :unsure:

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1360486573' post='1970977']
Thanks LukeFRC you're absolutely right about the Fender sound, it's why I keep considering one even though there are some 'difficult' aspects to them. I should really take my own advice that 'every guitar has something to teach you' and the Fender style is on my list. Maybe this year... if I still have a day job in April...

The other GAS driver has been the realisation that although my Spear S2 singlecut is a Korean maker trying to 'do boutique' it is actually well above spec compared to what they make now. There's an inch of walnut top and an inch of mahogany back, now they just put a 5mm walnut cap on. The electrics were 18v now they're 9v suggesting the 'is it Aguilar?' preamp is something else. Suddenly I realise that whatever it is I won't be able to get another one easily or cheaply. Must keep an eye on it at the pub gig next week :unsure:
[/quote] I thought wood didn't impact on tone? :P

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"I thought wood didn't impact on tone?"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think I'm bipolar on that subject. Last week was watching a net video of Victor Bailey claim that a thin central rosewood veneer in his signature bass gave more top end and my mind shouted 'No way!'. But the other day when I was looking at that 2012 US Fender I noticed how thin the fingerboard has gotten and looking at it I felt that 'slab fretboards _have_ to make a difference[/font][/color]'.

Yes some luthiers come out with mystic statements that I rebel at but if you've ever worked with wood you'll know there's a difference in how they take a screw, how they glue together, the weight, the grain. Some woods are very comparable, like ash and alder, whilst mahogany is deifferent from them and makes an instrument you can feel vibrate. Walnut is heavy but I've gotten used to it. I'm not a guitar maker just someone who can hammer a nail, saw straight and put a screw in nice...